• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Motor City Comic Con 2018

8 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Good recap. I thought the same thing about Babs Tarr pricing. I thought Jae Lee was $80 for a head, Rob Guillory was $10.

https://comicbookinvest.com/2018/05/24/motor-city-comic-con/

While I may agree with the writer that Tarr's pricing is ridiculous, his whining about it was a bit annoying. These artists don't owe anybody anything. Either pay what they're asking, or don't. Why spend so much time crying about it? "Disgust". "Pomposity". Jee-zus. Just say "she's charging too much" and move on. 

$395 for a thighs up single character is the "I don't want to do any sketching this weekend" price. I personally don't care for her art, so I wouldn't be in at 25% of that.. Maybe it comes down to the fact that she's just not very fast, or has anxiety about drawing in public or something.  Either way, I can't see many people wanting a commission from her that badly, but she can try and get whatever she wants. I think guys like Adam Hughes have figured out the key to high demand sketching at shows with his $50 head sketch. He can do these pretty quickly. It won't break the bank. They're not complete garbage . He does a lot of them, and they don't devalue his real commissions. 

Side note: Don't let Simon Bisley buy you drinks at the hotel bar on set up day. You WILL get hammered. You WILL make interesting purchasing decisions. You've been warned. 

Edited by Real Elijah Snow

11 minutes ago, Real Elijah Snow said:

$395 for a thighs up single character is the "I don't want to do any sketching this weekend" price. I personally don't care for her art, so I wouldn't be in at 25% of that.. Maybe it comes down to the fact that she's just not very fast, or has anxiety about drawing in public or something.  Either way, I can't see many people wanting a commission from her that badly, but she can try and get whatever she wants. I think guys like Adam Hughes have figured out the key to high demand sketching at shows with his $50 head sketch. He can do these pretty quickly. It won't break the bank. They're not complete garbage . He does a lot of them, and they don't devalue his real commissions. 

Side note: Don't let Simon Bisley buy you drinks at the hotel bar on set up day. You WILL get hammered. You WILL make interesting purchasing decisions. You've been warned. 

That is funny.  I walked by his booth and thought "that guy looks exactly like I'd expect from his art".  Big guy - looks like he owns a couple Harleys. 

5 hours ago, Real Elijah Snow said:

Haha, were you at the show?

5 hours ago, 1Cool said:

That is funny.  I walked by his booth and thought "that guy looks exactly like I'd expect from his art".  Big guy - looks like he owns a couple Harleys. 

Yea, I did a double take going by him.