• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman 50 variants
2 2

199 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

I think this one and several others are fantastic.
How many am I electing to buy?  Zero

I see this bus coming and I have no desire to have it run me over. (ASM 800, Batman 50 not a 100 issue just a 50.)
This is just the start.

The start of what?  Collecting comics as art?  It's no different than buying a random variant issue drawn by JSC.  If someone feels like the cover strikes something within them that they want to get it for their personal collection, where's the harm in that?  Or are you implying that by buying into this, consumers are opening the door for more and more store variants in the future which will ultimately cost them more and more?

Campbell on facebookis already gearing up for, I believe his versions, which I don't think ALL just have a pretty girl. How many covers should we guess that he comes up with? 8?

31 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

The start of what?  Collecting comics as art?  It's no different than buying a random variant issue drawn by JSC.  If someone feels like the cover strikes something within them that they want to get it for their personal collection, where's the harm in that?  Or are you implying that by buying into this, consumers are opening the door for more and more store variants in the future which will ultimately cost them more and more?

And hurt the hobby more. Don't confuse collecting covers for art with readership. By producing more and more of these it dilutes the hobby away from its foundation.

I like the move by DC to produce more uncluttered covers for regular issues. That a good idea which panders to collecting comics as an art.

Producing large amounts of different covers of the same book is both irresponsible and economically damaging to the hobby as whole. Lets not try to hide it behind collecting
comics as an art because that's not what it is.

10 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Don't confuse collecting covers for art with readership. By producing more and more of these it dilutes the hobby away from its foundation.

While I'ill agree that the publishers have gone a little variant crazy lately, if it’s making them and stores money I can’t fault them for it.

11 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Batman 50 not a 100 issue just a 50.

Maybe just a 50 but it is a special issue that has been building for most of King's run and it will have media attention drawn to it.

Collect them or don't, at the end of the day it's about what makes you happy.

Edited by TYPE-R

4 hours ago, TYPE-R said:

While I'ill agree that the publishers have gone a little variant crazy lately, if it’s making them and stores money I can’t fault them for it.

Maybe just a 50 but it is a special issue that has been building for most of King's run and it will have media attention drawn to it.

Collect them or don't, at the end of the day it's about what makes you happy.

It's called protecting your brand. It's being very diluted right now.

On 6/8/2018 at 6:51 PM, williamblood said:

211 down to 165 in 4 hours. will be soldout of 3 pack by sunday morning 

It wont ever sell out. Want to know why ? Ssalefish keeps adding more inventory. It will get down to 26, then they add 40 more. They've done this several times over the weekend.

On 6/9/2018 at 12:17 PM, ygogolak said:

It's called protecting your brand. It's being very diluted right now.

This has been going on for years. If it wasn't for variants I wouldn't own half the universals that I do.

What dilutes and hurts the brand is Marvel rebooting every 6 months.

22 minutes ago, TYPE-R said:

This has been going on for years. If it wasn't for variants I wouldn't own half the universals that I do.

What dilutes and hurts the brand is Marvel rebooting every 6 months.

Thanks for starting my point.

5 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Thanks for starting my point.

Your point is that Marvel has bad management and talent that can't sell anything but  #1s? I must've missed that.

Edited by TYPE-R

3 minutes ago, TYPE-R said:

Your point is that Marvel has bad management and talent that can't sell anything but  #1s? I must've missed that.

All part of protecting your brand. It's not one single thing that Marvel has done.

2 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

All part of protecting your brand. It's not one single thing that Marvel has done.

So selling less books and employing less creative talent is protecting your brand?

1 minute ago, TYPE-R said:

So selling less books and employing less creative talent is protecting your brand?

Boy, not sure what you are not understanding here. You should probably look up some information on brand management.

I'm not understand why you think growth is a bad thing. Is it your brand to protect?

I like variants, while I do think they don't need 100 covers for 1 issue.

No one is forcing you to buy them, so don't. Let those who do enjoy them, enjoy them.

19 minutes ago, TYPE-R said:

I'm not understand why you think growth is a bad thing. Is it your brand to protect?

I like variants, while I do think they don't need 100 covers for 1 issue.

No one is forcing you to buy them, so don't. Let those who do enjoy them, enjoy them.

:facepalm:

2 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Yes, yes it is. Ever heard of the statement quality not quantity?

Yes I have but I'd rather have a market that sells to all collectors instead of one that sells just to you.