• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2018 Green Eggs Grading Contest - Round 1
6 6

341 posts in this topic

I gave the IH a 2.0...I thought the piece was still attached at the bottom, so not completely detached. When grading I was between a 2.0 and 1.5...guess I should have spit the difference with a 1.8. :idea:

As for the NM I gave it a 9.0, I can't believe that got a 9.4 with several spine ticks...I have a couple of 9.4s that have two or three spine ticks. Maybe I should not have looked at the large scan...maybe they are not that noticeable in hand.

1 minute ago, Dino-Mutt said:

Did I miss the start of round 2? I actually cleaned my screen for this one! Not that it's likely to help, But it will give me one less excuse!:wishluck:

No, you haven't missed it :foryou:

5 minutes ago, flashlites said:

You guys are awesome! Thanks for putting this whole thing together?

I cant even imagine what it would be like to run this thing.  Just the PMs alone-if I got 30 PMs there is no way I could keep them straight.  The logistics must be similar to planning a normandy invasion.

13 hours ago, youfoundjake said:

Through all these contests, I've learned I can't grade lower end books.  Higher grade is no problem.  I honestly thought 1.8 was default for detached portion of the IH.  That's just my lack of knowledge apparently.  That NM looks like a 9,4 to me, which i got that one correct.  :D

I'm the opposite. I find low grade books pretty easy, but I'm old school when it comes to high grade. My instinct is always "Very Fine/Near Mint", which was common for high grade books before CGC.

4 minutes ago, sckao said:

Sorry for the delay... re-inputting everyone's wild guesses is repetitive and soul-draining, especially late at night after a long day. Then the Excel spreadsheet had to be overhauled for 140 players and reset. It looks like this (see below) and takes a LOT of behind the scenes formula changes. (If I were a better Excel user, I could probably automate it more...)

And now my Adobe Creative Cloud is crashing... Sheesh. (Making Photoshop unusable right now.)

Results for Round 1 will be posted today. :preach:

(The main part of my business trips ends tomorrow morning although I'm traveling the rest of the week as well.)

screenshot.png

Unacceptable!  :sumo:

:jokealert:

The middle table is actually the main table you guys see.

In the future, I would probably make it so players had to enter their guesses into a unique encrypted FORM for each round. That way, we could tabulate all the entries instantly and could close the FORM round for everyone instantly by closing the form round guesses.

Forms would re-open for the next round just for that round of Guesses. (So we could close Round 1 and then Open Round 2 on the same Form.) Host Comments would still happen via some method. :baiting:

(That's probably for someone else to run if I automate it that way... Like I told Andy, this is probably my last Grading Contest unless something happens. If that new idea interests me enough to make it happen, then we might have an improved interface next time that I'll pilot.)

47 minutes ago, sckao said:

The middle table is actually the main table you guys see.

In the future, I would probably make it so players had to enter their guesses into a unique encrypted FORM for each round. That way, we could tabulate all the entries instantly and could close the FORM round for everyone instantly by closing the form round guesses.

Forms would re-open for the next round just for that round of Guesses. (So we could close Round 1 and then Open Round 2 on the same Form.) Host Comments would still happen via some method. :baiting:

(That's probably for someone else to run if I automate it that way... Like I told Andy, this is probably my last Grading Contest unless something happens. If that new idea interests me enough to make it happen, then we might have an improved interface next time that I'll pilot.)

That new interface interests me.  Massive bonus if it interests you enough. :baiting: 

1 hour ago, sckao said:

Sorry for the delay... re-inputting everyone's wild guesses is repetitive and soul-draining, especially late at night after a long day. Then the Excel spreadsheet had to be overhauled for 140 players and reset. It looks like this (see below) and takes a LOT of behind the scenes formula changes. (If I were a better Excel user, I could probably automate it more...)

And now my Adobe Creative Cloud is crashing... Sheesh. (Making Photoshop unusable right now.)

Results for Round 1 will be posted today. :preach:

(The main part of my business trips ends tomorrow morning although I'm traveling the rest of the week as well.)

screenshot.png

ZFrzNCya84IC7cJSmRgzdzt6fHqz0zB6AZ5wXWku

lol