• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Ryan Elliott Still Out There?

13 posts in this topic

I read up on this guy and all the shady things he did. Just curious if he is still selling and if anyone knows what user names to watch out for. Or are there any other bad sellers out there? Also, when did his reign of terror begin / end? Would buying a PGX pre-2006 be ok for example?

4 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Do they use a formalized grading system to formulate their findings?

No one does.  No company, no person.

2 hours ago, lizards2 said:

No one does.  No company, no person.

That's not really what I meant, but OK, I'll be kind and assume that PGX is making a good faith best effort to delineate between 25 different grades on a formalized system on a consistent basis in all cases..

There is a grading system in this hobby, and it can be argued that the first attempts to formalize it were made by Overstreet, codified in his grading guidelines. That most definitely is a system. And CGC grading is an off-shoot of that departure point.

Aside from being paid, like professionals are, a higher standard of performance can be expected of a professional.

Anybody can throw a strike or hit a bullseye sometimes, but a professional will throw strikes and hit the bullseye most of the time, consistently.

The same can be said of grading. We all have our own idea of what type of book falls into any one section of the 25 available grades of this system, from 0.5 to 10.0, but a greater degree of consistency is expected from a professional grader. A tighter interpretation and greater consistency interpreting the differences between the grades. It most definitely is a system.

Edited by James J Johnson

Just checking, is this guy the person in question? Facebook keeps suggesting them to me as a potential friend. (The guy on the left, so we’re all on the same page.)

1521338C-D55A-40B9-B421-4F1BC7AEEE0D.jpeg

Edited by mysterio

10 hours ago, mysterio said:

Just checking, is this guy the person in question? Facebook keeps suggesting them to me as a potential friend. (The guy on the left, so we’re all on the same page.)

1521338C-D55A-40B9-B421-4F1BC7AEEE0D.jpeg

Who's the guy on the right...? He looks familiar.

Didn't he do a show in the mid 70s called "The Texas Wheelers"...?

On 6/30/2018 at 8:44 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

Who's the guy on the right...? He looks familiar.

Didn't he do a show in the mid 70s called "The Texas Wheelers"...?

Pretty sure that's the guy from "Corvette Summer". Didn't follow his career after that though.