• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

the comic book question of the day thread

70 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

If I may, I do have a serious question for the question of the day. It is this: How do you feel about the new comic book holders from CGC? Thanks for any consideration...

I like the clarity and solid feel they have as well as the enclosed top label.  Not too excited about the extreme newton rings but its a small price to pay I suppose.  Better than the mylar sheet "creep engine" (not mine, btw...Junkdrawer maybe?)

1 hour ago, jsilverjanet said:

I like them and whenever I get an old one I feel those are flimsy and light. 

These new ones are built to withstand a bit of punishment

That's exactly what I thought...they're sturdier than the old ones. Thanks for the feedback!  (thumbsu

On 7/7/2018 at 12:03 PM, The Lions Den said:

If I may, I do have a serious question for the question of the day. It is this: How do you feel about the new comic book holders from CGC? Thanks for any consideration...

I have some reservations about the new holder. High grade books look spectacular in the new holder but lower grade books look terrible as flaws are magnified. They are heavier and sturdier but they take up more space in the box and weigh more for shipping. I don't like the placement or font size of the page quality designation. I think CGC was making a subtle 'statement' that they don't care about it. The biggest con for me is they are very difficult to open up. You also can't use the slipping paper into the sides to remove Newton rings trick. And these new holders could use a home remedy to fix the Newton Rings. In summary, it's a wash at best for me.