• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman 50 OA debacle?
2 2

85 posts in this topic

I had 3-4 near-misses on buying cover art for this issue, but now I am glad I didn't have the chance to pull the trigger on anything.

Did anyone make a big buy on this? How do you feel now? Are you seeking a refund?

1 minute ago, BCarter27 said:

I had 3-4 near-misses on buying cover art for this issue, but now I am glad I didn't have the chance to pull the trigger on anything.

Did anyone make a big buy on this? How do you feel now? Are you seeking a refund?

What is the nature of the debacle of which you speak?  :$

FWIW, there was a posting in the marketplace by Mikel Janin’s art rep selling the hand drawn cover by Mikel (who I believe works primarily on digital)...see here.

Mikel’s work on the cover is stunning, but given the subject matter depicted & the ultimate story result, I would be more than a little ticked about it. There are other covers that reference the same subject.

For the work that was associated, but could standalone (e.g. Jim Lee cover), I wouldn’t upset at all.

Personally, I don’t have a dog in the hunt.

2 minutes ago, chico_suave_58 said:

FWIW, there was a posting in the marketplace by Mikel Janin’s art rep selling the hand drawn cover by Mikel (who I believe works primarily on digital)...see here.

Mikel’s work on the cover is stunning, but given the subject matter depicted & the ultimate story result, I would be more than a little ticked about it. There are other covers that reference the same subject.

For the work that was associated, but could standalone (e.g. Jim Lee cover), I wouldn’t upset at all.

Personally, I don’t have a dog in the hunt.

I might be a bit upset at spending $18K on one of the covers with the way the story went.

1 hour ago, alxjhnsn said:

I might be a bit upset at spending $18K on one of the covers with the way the story went.

Given the way the story went I would have been upset paying cover price to read a copy. 

DC really pissed of a lot of fans and retailers with the false advertising.

I would be upset if I paid big cash for one of these covers ($18k :roflmao:) although it was a ridiculous overpay even if the story happened as promised.

Buying the art in advance of the comic being published is speculation indeed. I doubt, although I could be mistaken, that anyone who purchased any art asked about the content of the story.

But as far as the title of the thread...it seems a bit premature to call it an OA debacle. Have there been any known complaints regarding Batman 50 OA or is it just guesswork?

1 minute ago, Bird said:

Buying the art in advance of the comic being published is speculation indeed. I doubt, although I could be mistaken, that anyone who purchased any art asked about the content of the story.

It's been hyped for months as the wedding of Bruce and Selina, with all the variant cover madness that goes along with it. No one is buying a cover to this book without knowing it's the "Batman Wedding Issue".

2 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

It's been hyped for months as the wedding of Bruce and Selina, with all the variant cover madness that goes along with it. No one is buying a cover to this book without knowing it's the "Batman Wedding Issue".

But it isn't the Batman wedding issue is it? Comic cover scenes certainly always occur in the comic, right? In any event, it is a moot point until someone real actually complains.

Edited by Bird
meaning someone who bought art from the issue

As big a gimmick as foil covers and glow in the dark inks. “Death of Superman”, Cap is Hydra, Batman’s broken back, Thor is a woman, etc and so on. 

Someone let me know when there is a truly great series “deserving” of these gimmicky prices. I just don’t get it, myself.

Diffrnt strokes n all that...

Just now, Bird said:

But it isn't the Batman wedding issue is it? Comic cover scenes certainly always occur in the comic, right? In any event, it is a moot point until someone real actually complains.

Batman #50 was the hyped as the wedding issue. The reason people sought out the artwork was because of the "event" hype surrounding the wedding. 

1 minute ago, ESeffinga said:

As big a gimmick as foil covers and glow in the dark inks. “Death of Superman”, Cap is Hydra, Batman’s broken back, Thor is a woman, etc and so on. 

Someone let me know when there is a truly great series “deserving” of these gimmicky prices. I just don’t get it, myself.

Diffrnt strokes n all that...

The wedding would have been a gimmick in line with the rest of those gimmicks, for sure. The broken back bats, and death of superman pages have escalated well over the years and are still in demand. Even though Batman healed up and Superman got better. lol

The bait and switch and not delivering on the gimmick at all? That seems different to me. 

3 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Batman #50 was the hyped as the wedding issue. The reason people sought out the artwork was because of the "event" hype surrounding the wedding. 

They bought the hype though. People buy hype all the time (Sean Murphy anyone) and they know what they are buying and that there is chance involved.

4 hours ago, Mr. Machismo said:

Stayed away from this OA for the same reason I did the bajillion DKIII covers. 

But MAN, look at this Lee piece. 

DB1CB301-FF5D-4411-A14B-F2AEDA68B7EE.jpeg

That one works just fine all on its own.. Wow!

Edited by comix4fun