• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newton rings!
6 6

244 posts in this topic

On 7/7/2018 at 8:47 AM, Mr. Lady Luck said:
On 7/5/2018 at 4:23 PM, Sqeggs said:

The thicker cases seem to be ok.

I was under the impression that the cases are all the same thickness now. Are you referring to the thickness of the inner well?

I don't know if you can see it clearly in this photo, but the slab on the right is the Bomber 2 and the one on the left is the Sweethearts 119. The Bomber 2 slab is noticeably thicker.  Peering in from the side, I can see that the inner sleeve is recessed from the front of the slab, so no Newton rings. 

IMG_1185.jpg

On 7/6/2018 at 6:03 AM, path4play said:

Three out of four I received back yesterday had Newton Rings to some degree, this one was worst case.

Kind of turns me off about going through the whole expense and process.

752018004.thumb.jpg.4697e2407d37c0b6ab8ff2fb517b3b3a.jpg

Ouch!  Yeah, it is a bit discouraging to have the long wait and then receive a flawed product.

Great book, btw, to have the Okajima copy of. 

On 7/7/2018 at 7:39 AM, walclark said:

I just got a batch back and the Newton rings were really bad on several of them.  It seemed that the issue had died down for a while.

Not sure the scan shows it clearly, but there are Newton rings on about 75% of the cover.

444555234_fight82001.jpg.29064913d9b653600b4e7dc2867964cf.jpg

Yep, that one's pretty bad, unfortunately.  I have a feeling that they either changed suppliers of the inner wells (or maybe the slabs) or adjusted the encapsulation process in a way that brings the inner wells closer to the slab.  Just speculating, of course.

Edited by Sqeggs
Typo

Not Golden Age but this is what my most recent slab looked like. :tonofbricks:

Have a CSS #22 and a Junior #12 in for grading right now and I'll be crushed If I have to admire them through this mess. Right now, I don't think CGC can even spell QC...

2095233189_ASM50.thumb.jpg.a4d4b2e816626

2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I don't know if you can see it clearly in this photo, but the slab on the right is the Bomber 2 and the one on the left is the Sweethearts 119. The Bomber 2 slab is noticeably thicker.  Peering in from the side, I can see that the inner sleeve is recessed from the front of the slab, so no Newton rings. 

IMG_1185.jpg

Yes, I can definitely see it. Thank you for pointing this out. I knew the old slabs came in two different thicknesses, but I was not aware this was the case with the new slabs too.

So the Newton rings are less likely a problem with the older, thicker comics because they are likely to use the thicker cases?

2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I have a feeling that they either changed suppliers of the inner wells (or maybe the slabs) or adjusted the encapsulation process in a way that brings the inner wells closer to the slab.  Just speculating, of course.

I'm thinking the same thing - either a slight change in materials or in process. It makes sense if the ring problem started becoming worse all at once.

Has anyone brought this to the attention of CGC? Maybe they can fix things, but they need to be aware of the problem.

21 minutes ago, Mr. Lady Luck said:

I'm thinking the same thing - either a slight change in materials or in process. It makes sense if the ring problem started becoming worse all at once.

Has anyone brought this to the attention of CGC? Maybe they can fix things, but they need to be aware of the problem.

I e-mailed my contact from customer support two weeks ago and to this point have had zero response.

2 hours ago, Black_Adam said:
2 hours ago, Mr. Lady Luck said:

I e-mailed my contact from customer support two weeks ago and to this point have had zero response.

It may be one of those things where if it's caused by a new supplier (or slightly different wells from an existing supplier) they may be aware of it, but won't do anything until they use up all of the existing supplies.  Again, just speculating. 

2 hours ago, Mr. Lady Luck said:

Yes, I can definitely see it. Thank you for pointing this out. I knew the old slabs came in two different thicknesses, but I was not aware this was the case with the new slabs too.

So the Newton rings are less likely a problem with the older, thicker comics because they are likely to use the thicker cases?

I think that's right.  The thicker comics in the thicker slabs have a bit of space between the inner well and the slab, which keeps the problem from arising. 

1 hour ago, comicjack said:

Hard to think quality control would let them go out looking that bad.and no one would complain :cry:

Yeah, unless QC has been told, "That's the best we can do for now until we run out of this batch of inner wells."

58 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Yeah, unless QC has been told, "That's the best we can do for now until we run out of this batch of inner wells."

Transparency (no pun intended) would be professional; let your customer base know you are (once again) aware of the problem, and trying to address it; after seeing the evidence above, I am concerned about submitting my Mystic 15 ...

I don't submit but this seems totally unacceptable. It's not cheap to get books graded and the wait is usually unacceptable anyways. To get books back with the amount of rings being shown is a kick in the junk to loyal customers from a company that is supposed to be the standard in grading.  To send products that are flawed back to paying customers with no seemingly remorse is a good way to go out of business. Extreme harsh grading, extreme wait time, not cheap and you get back a flawed product. What could go wrong?

If I may chime in I just wanted to agree with the notions already stated as my last submission suffered the same fate as all of yours ? The one redeaming thing is that the majority of my subs were GA and look absolutely gorgeous in their new crystal clear newton free holders but my 2 Silver/thinner slabs ASM 13 and Action 252 came back looking absolutely atrocious. As most of you know both these keys are a majority white in color and they look physically dirty at most angles. Made me sad to see them like this I have not reached out to reholder them i am waiting for some kind of sign that they have it straightened out first

7 hours ago, gino2paulus2 said:

If I may chime in I just wanted to agree with the notions already stated as my last submission suffered the same fate as all of yours ? The one redeaming thing is that the majority of my subs were GA and look absolutely gorgeous in their new crystal clear newton free holders but my 2 Silver/thinner slabs ASM 13 and Action 252 came back looking absolutely atrocious. As most of you know both these keys are a majority white in color and they look physically dirty at most angles. Made me sad to see them like this I have not reached out to reholder them i am waiting for some kind of sign that they have it straightened out first

Unfortunately that's about all you can do (wait for things to improve) but, while waiting, keep mentioning it and raising concerns. Won't do any good to remain silent.

18 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

this has been my suspicion for as long as it has been happening. That they placed a GIANT order for these and they are sending them out like this until they have used them all up.