• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newton rings!
6 6

244 posts in this topic

When this happened 2 years ago or so with the new holders CGC did do a good job fixing it for me at least.

They reslabbed a book for me free of charge postage paid by them even though I wasn’t the original submitter. 

It sucks for sure that you even have to deal with it, but I’m pretty sure CGC will make it right if you talk to them about it.

One potential downside to the fixing this problem of theirs is there’s gonna be a slowdown in turnaround times though.  As I recall there were pretty bad delays about 2 years ago as well.

Edited by szavisca

On 7/9/2018 at 7:36 AM, Sqeggs said:

I don't know if you can see it clearly in this photo, but the slab on the right is the Bomber 2 and the one on the left is the Sweethearts 119. The Bomber 2 slab is noticeably thicker.  Peering in from the side, I can see that the inner sleeve is recessed from the front of the slab, so no Newton rings. 

IMG_1185.jpg

You could have fit four comics in the space that Bomber now takes up...

27 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Here's another awful example.  Looks really, really bad in hand.

I've been hearing rumblings of people holding off on submissions or, shall we say, contemplating another option because of this problem. 

2018-07-12-0001_zpsoxely5sr.JPG

Does this have the thicker or thinner holder?

29 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I've been hearing rumblings of people holding off on submissions or, shall we say, contemplating another option because of this problem. 

I would not be happy :cry:

46 minutes ago, Mr. Lady Luck said:
1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

Does this have the thicker or thinner holder?

Thinner

9 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

I heard thicker was better.

We talking about what I think we're talking about ... Bacon?  I am contemplating turning some of my more Newtony slabs into a solar array that will power my treadmill.  It is a shame that for all of CGC's best efforts a large portion of recently slabbed books look less than ideal.

Just now, ThothAmon said:

We talking about what I think we're talking about ... Bacon?  I am contemplating turning some of my more Newtony slabs into a solar array that will power my treadmill.  It is a shame that for all of CGC's best efforts a large portion of recently slabbed books look less than ideal.

You would think after 17 years in business their product would be getting better - not worse. :makepoint:

I would put money on this:

Just now, ThothAmon said:

I am certain that it has nothing to do with "effort" and is simply that they bought a HUGE order of the cases and / or inner wells that cause this effect and they are going to continue to encapsulate books KNOWING this issue persists because of the financial commitment made.

Not every slab they send out like this is returned. ( they should be )

12 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

I would put money on this:

I am certain that it has nothing to do with "effort" and is simply that they bought a HUGE order of the cases and / or inner wells that cause this effect and they are going to continue to encapsulate books KNOWING this issue persists because of the financial commitment made.

Not every slab they send out like this is returned. ( they should be )

If the problem is indeed materials, CGC may be willing to cut their losses to fix the problem. It would be a lot cheaper than all the time, energy and resources needed to reholder all these books - not to mention the potential loss of business.

14 hours ago, path4play said:

I received a response, and a response to my response to that response.  I'll simply call both responses unapologetic.

I can somewhat understand that there may not be anything they can (or are willing to) do about this problem, but to be “unapologetic” about a valid customer concern is disappointing.

I was planning on sending a small batch to be graded, but I think I'll hold off until they've resolved this problem. I just purchased a recently slabbed book online, and the rings look worse in hand than they did in the scan. The relative reflectivity makes it look as if someone spilled oil on the inner sleeve. Very unappealing. I don't see how this doesn't hurt business if they don't fix it soon. 

Edited by rjpb

4 hours ago, Mr. Lady Luck said:

If the problem is indeed materials, CGC may be willing to cut their losses to fix the problem. It would be a lot cheaper than all the time, energy and resources needed to reholder all these books - not to mention the potential loss of business.

They may be banking on most people just accepting it and not asking for reholders.  The fixation with the numerical grade sometimes distracts people from actually scrutinizing the book itself.  And, of course, if the cs reps are told to hold the line and make it difficult for people to send books back in, then many people may just shrug it off.

If they can’t/won’t even get the presentation aspect of their cases right, it doesn’t exactly inspire confidence in the preservation and tamper proofing aspects of the product they’re selling.

Hope they address and fix this soon cause I’m jumping on the not subbing anything right now bandwagon too.  Will also be avoiding buying anything slabbed recently.