• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interesting read about the current state of print comics
1 1

47 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Mercury Man said:

Like every other hobby, the health of print comics relies heavily on the younger generation taking over. 

Stamp collectors and model train collectors are going the way of the dodo, as the average age of both hobbies now are people who are in their 60's.  That's not good, as the age continues to creep up. 

Curious to know what the average age is for print comics at this juncture.  40's? Is it still trending up?

Yeah, its all older people.. I rarely see younger people in the comic shops now

5 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:
6 hours ago, Lazyboy said:
6 hours ago, Robot Man said:

They also need to be cheaper a lot cheaper. Maybe a buck or so.

Being too cheap is what caused everyone to drop them in the first place. If there's no money in them, what distributors or retailers are going to want to deal with them?

But they've circled the drain of ever-spiraling prices to an ever smaller customer base. That doesn't work.

Of course not, but what does or could at this point?

5 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I hope that DC is printing a boatload more to head out to Walmart, to drive the speculators out of business.

(thumbsu

I didn't think there would be this much hand-wringing over a display case that holds what, 12-15 comic books.

If the local comic stores margins are so thin that they can't afford to kick one over to Wal-Mart for the possibility of an expanded reader base, it's all over but the crying anyways.

8 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I dunno. Nobody cared enough even to watch it once.

:D

Clue is one of my favorite movies and it's a cult classic, lots of people care to watch it. When it ran in theaters you saw one of three endings randomly and when it was released on home video all three endings where put on it.

3 minutes ago, catman76 said:

Clue is one of my favorite movies and it's a cult classic, lots of people care to watch it. When it ran in theaters you saw one of three endings randomly and when it was released on home video all three endings where put on it.

meh

:jokealert:

4 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Yeah, its all older people.. I rarely see younger people in the comic shops now

I think the clientele of comic shops is influenced more by the demographics in their area than anything else. From an Alberta perspective, the reader and collector base has been getting younger since 2008/09. I was worried about the hobby back then when I was younger as a seller than most of the people buying books from me. Now it is the opposite - it is the 20 somethings with high disposable incomes that are buying the keys and have files worth a couple of hundred to a thousand per month. The number of local stores tells the story - from what I can recall, there are just as many stores in Edmonton right now as there were during the speculative peak in the late 80s/early 90s. Talking to the two longest running LCS owners (they have been around since the early 80s) over the past few months, they view the hobby being the healthiest it has been in ages due to the influx of younger readers and collectors. Whether this will be the case five years from now is unknown, but the local market is strong here in Alberta.

It's been a while since I have bought any new DC comics, so yesterday I had to pick up a few things at the local Walmart, and while there I thought I would look for the 100 pagers. I finally found where they keep their collectible cards and sure enough, they had some DC comics, but not the 100 page giants. Instead they had $5 three-packs. So I got three cover price $2.99 comics for five bucks. Let's see, that comes out to a price of about 55% of cover cost or 45% off, however you want to look at it.

I bought four packs for the heck of it. If anyone wants to know what I got for my twenty bucks:

The New 52 Future's End 7, 8, 14, 15, & 17.

Supergirl (rebirth) 1

Harley Quin (rebirth) 1

Batman Trinity (rebirth) 1

Batman: I am Suicide (rebirth) 1

Batman: Eternal 23,

Grayson (the new 52) 4

Infinity Man and the Forever People: Future's End 1

They are dated from 2015 through 2017

So for a $1.67 each I'm not complaining, That is until you all chime in and tell me you can find these in the dollar bins at the lcs's lol, but that's okay, as long as I get my entertainment value out of them.

Anyways it appeared that there were enough comics there that I didn't envision them running out any time soon.

Five dollars today is probably what it felt like when I spent a dollar or so back in my childhood so I see this as a good thing. And anyone buying this hodge-podge of different numbered issues may end up going to the local comic shop to get the missing issues so as to have a complete story. I have to believe this is a win win situation.

20 hours ago, cortown71 said:

They should sell comic books at movie theaters.if even just a few here and there sales take place,its good for future longevity.

There was a LCS located RIGHT NEXT TO a movie theater around me. Literally the door to the LCS was less than 50 yrds away from the entrance to the theater, part of the same building. This was just in the past 2-3 years.

Don't know how, but it failed. Always saw more gamers in there than comicbook shoppers.Now it's a Chess Academy (yes, a school for playing chess).

Back around 2000/2001 there was another major LCS located right around the corner of a large movie theater in a mall nearby. Again, it failed.

Maybe selling them at the concession stand of the movie theater might get a few buyers, maybe.

Edited by jcjames

13 hours ago, justafan said:

I know because I'm living proof of this. I didnt get into comics because I watched the incredible Hulk growing up or Spider-man and his super friends on Saturday mornings.  I got into it trying not to die of boredom while my mom shopped for an hour at the Kroger, HEB, Kingmart, Walmart , or shopping mall with Waldenbooks.  I happened upon a ripped opened Whitman pack with spider and x-men comics. I read through slowly absorbing the story of each one to the point where I actually (but secretly) looked forward to going back to the supermarket with my parents to see if any other issues were available until I convinced my parent's to start buying me comics instead of star wars action figures.

I wonder how common this was?

Exactly the same for me, except that no convincing was necessary, as, after going to the market, my mother and gran would bribe me with some comics money to go away and leave them in peace while they went off to have a coffee.  

2 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

I wonder how common this was?

Exactly the same for me, except that no convincing was necessary, as, after going to the market, my mother and gran would bribe me with some comics money to go away and leave them in peace while they went off to have a coffee.  

Same for me. I spent (what seemed like all day) waiting at the magazine stands for my mom grocery shopping.

From the article: "We don't have a natural lifestyle interaction point for kids anymore,"

On 7/14/2018 at 11:26 PM, Coolio McCool said:

The main complaint about the Walmart deal is that comic stores got zero copies of the books. Most stores would have no problem with Walmart stocking a few comics, none of their big customers are going to switch to buying books at Walmart just because they sell a few comics. But it's an absolute disgrace that Walmart gets to exclusively sell these books. It looks like most of the books are ending up in the hands of speculators anyway, so what's the point? New readers aren't able to buy these. A better strategy would be to flood the market, let comic book stores order the books which would keep books on the shelves at Walmart for potential new readers.

BTW speaking of comics at Costco, during the 90s they did stock DC comics, you could buy selected DC comics published in the past ~month bundled up for a discount. I remember buying most of the "Return of Superman" series this way. I don't think it's going to work today, it's hard to sell 10 comics (or whatever standard Costco / Sams quantity is) to a new reader.

I really don't see this as being any different than say Midtown having an exclusive variant that you may want. No other store can have that either, so you just buy it from the only place that has it. Best thing that could come out of this would be Wal-Mart deciding that their comics sell so well that they want to carry a full line of comics in their stores. I don't think this would take away from the shops regular customers and could find some elusive new readers. Worst case, they don't sell and we're right where we are now. 

18 hours ago, ThreeSeas said:

It's been a while since I have bought any new DC comics, so yesterday I had to pick up a few things at the local Walmart, and while there I thought I would look for the 100 pagers. I finally found where they keep their collectible cards and sure enough, they had some DC comics, but not the 100 page giants. Instead they had $5 three-packs. So I got three cover price $2.99 comics for five bucks. Let's see, that comes out to a price of about 55% of cover cost or 45% off, however you want to look at it.

I bought four packs for the heck of it. If anyone wants to know what I got for my twenty bucks:

The New 52 Future's End 7, 8, 14, 15, & 17.

Supergirl (rebirth) 1

Harley Quin (rebirth) 1

Batman Trinity (rebirth) 1

Batman: I am Suicide (rebirth) 1

Batman: Eternal 23,

Grayson (the new 52) 4

Infinity Man and the Forever People: Future's End 1

They are dated from 2015 through 2017

So for a $1.67 each I'm not complaining, That is until you all chime in and tell me you can find these in the dollar bins at the lcs's lol, but that's okay, as long as I get my entertainment value out of them.

Anyways it appeared that there were enough comics there that I didn't envision them running out any time soon.

Five dollars today is probably what it felt like when I spent a dollar or so back in my childhood so I see this as a good thing. And anyone buying this hodge-podge of different numbered issues may end up going to the local comic shop to get the missing issues so as to have a complete story. I have to believe this is a win win situation.

Did the cashier roll 'em up and jam them down the side of your bag like the old days? :banana:

Amazon has a digital sale up right now DC first volumes for $4.99. Each of these trade paperback books average 200-240 pages.

So why would the average comicbook reader want to a buy a floppy with about 22 pages for $4.99, while they can get 200- 240 pages from Amazon for the same price?

See drive a half hour out of my way to pick up a 15 minute read for $4.99

or

order a 1-2 hour read delivered to my Kindle instantly for $4.99?

A real tough decision a comic book reader has to make.

lol. 

50 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Amazon has a digital sale up right now DC first volumes for $4.99. Each of these trade paperback books average 200-240 pages.

So why would the average comicbook reader want to a buy a floppy with about 22 pages for $4.99, while they can get 200- 240 pages from Amazon for the same price?

See drive a half hour out of my way to pick up a 15 minute read for $4.99

or

order a 1-2 hour read delivered to my Kindle instantly for $4.99?

A real tough decision a comic book reader has to make.

lol. 

Yes, you do get more story for your money with digital comics, but I guess I am old school as I like my paper comics. I do read a bunch of different comics online too so I am not against digital comics, it's just that I, as a collector, want a copy that I can hold on to.

For me, sitting at home I want a physical comic, but if traveling some place I would rather have digital access. 

Right now I am debating whether I want to continue scanning just my comic covers or maybe scan every page front to back so as to have a digital copy I can read any time. If only it didn't take so much time to do it lol.

If younger teen started getting into digital comic books would that help physical comic books down the road?  Lets assume they could keep making small batches of physical comics would the teens of today seek out the physical comics and extend the hobby?  As with anything I'm sure a few would seek out the paper comics that they read online as a teen but I feel the imprinting that is needed to make someone seek out and spend big money on paper comics would be lacking.  The masses never saw and felt the comics so why would most of them want paper comics as middle age people?

33 minutes ago, jcjames said:

Yup.

The weird thing is the Magic kids look at older comic guys like we're the sweaty nerds in the shop and encroaching on their turf. I'd probably play if someone taught me.  I don't think they're "less than" or any ridiculous thing like that.  It's just not my bag.

My own son and nephews all played, but it seemed more like a 1-2 year phase until their friends outgrew it too, right around the time girls started taking on more importance in their lives.

On July 14, 2018 at 3:09 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

It is the decades-long treatment of comic books as collectibles first, and entertainment second, that the comics shop community created, fostered, and encouraged every step of the way that led to the decline of the Direct market. It's why even mainstream DC and Marvel comics struggle to sell 50,000 copies a month, in a nation of 325,000,000 people. 

Readers are going to tolerate seeing "sold out" signs before a store even opens on new comics day only so long before they give up in disgust, and that's exactly what has happened. Speculation is fine if people are ordering before FOC. Having speculators comb your store, grabbing up every available copy AFTER that is foolish and shortsighted. 

That, combined with the Museum attitude that many stores have...that is, they're showcasing what they own, rather than pricing at realistic prices, the unrelenting drive to get the highest price possible for every single item...and being mortally offended when anyone asks for any type of discount, treating people who spend money no better than those who don't...goes a long way towards explaining why stores fail. 

I spend tens of thousands of dollars a year on comic books. I haven't spent more than $500 in comic book stores since about 2011. 

And I'm not alone.

Comics specialty stores had their chance...perhaps it's time for a new model. 

The stores are failing like Bud Plant etc because of Amazon, the bread and butter for the future of any comic book store is Trade paperbacks or graphic novels. The single  monthly printed comic book with a cliff ending is a dinosaur. So we have a situation, where as in the early days, comic books stores created new customers in a web-free world, we not see the future of the printed comic book in terms of a complete story or novel. Marvel and DC will only continute to print at a loss, which they are doing, while the intellectual property created generates more money on that end and Box Office and toy sales justify it. Otherwise while they will still exist, they  all go to straight the the web. That is the future, I don't think the trend can be reversed, it might be slowed with a drastic reduction of price for the printed comic book and keeping the Web comic book price HIGHER, however how long does anybody think that is gonna last. Amazon is ultimate  the comic book store killer, just as it destroyed crown books, and all the other small book stores, and then the big ones with only a few "barnes and nobles" left standing. Who is gonna spend 20% more to Bud Plant and save that plus  get free shipping .....to get the same graphic novel. A lot of factors here, greed on special  "worthless editions" etc etc. and how many people on the board buy a monthly comic book 8 part mini series at a comic book store...or wait for the graphic novel. Rock, the comic book stores need to reinvent themselves with eye on taking on Amazon.

Edited by Mmehdy

Digital audio media almost killed physical records. Almost.

Now there's a steady resurgence of vinyl records (over 10 years of growth and still growing) in #'s of sales and as a share of all records sold.

More people are wanting physical copies of their music. Maybe this bodes well for physical copies of comicbooks too.

And it's the younger adults (18-30) who are driving this resurgence of physical record sales, not so much the aging baby boomers trying to reclaim their lost yutes, even though last year's top 10 selling vinyl albums were mainly the Beatles, Pink Floyd, Prince, Michael Jackson and other artists from 30-40 years ago.

Maybe the same trajectory may be in store for the future of physical comicbooks - doubt they'll ever go away completely (like vinyl did for many years), but stores devoted almost exclusively to selling records/tapes/CDs (like LCSs are to selling comicbooks/TBPs/GNs) are pretty much gone.

So there may be a good chance that comicbooks will survive the decline of the LCS (rather than the other way around), maybe in a way that returns us to "the old way" of finding comicbooks for sale in grocery and department stores, spinner-racks... and of course now, Amazon. 

Edited by jcjames