• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

[CLOSED] Canada, eh? sales thread
4 4

156 posts in this topic

On 7/17/2018 at 5:31 PM, thirdgreenham said:

I sell and ship comics to the US about 4 days a week, nearly every single week.  

It’s not hard in the least bit and takes me about 30 seconds to 1 minute longer to prepare the necessary form.  

What bugs me is the multitude of “US only” sales, and how they constistently show up.

So, the point of this thread wasn’t necessarily to sell books, it was to bring up this case of “I’m not going to ship to you” to people who have probably never had this “problem” before.  

Hopefully a few of the US sellers that usually don’t ship to Canada see this thread, read this post, and reconsider when they have their next sales thread.  

It cant be that difficult.  Plus, Canadians typically don’t mind paying for shipping. :preach: 

Yeah as a Canadian who buy's a lot of comics it is disappointing to see the U.S. only shipping in a thread. But you end up finding the people on the boards who do ship to Canada and watch for there threads.

Andy,

Your a good seller. I have had horrible experiences shipping to Canada. I have lost serious money shipping to Canada.  Maybe shipping to The US is a little easier than shipping into your country. Your incoming Custom's are a Joke, They have even been known to pop open slabs. Its a crxp shoot! and when shipping higher value books , no thanks. I get your point But I don't think its because of filling out some extra paper work. I have never had an issue Getting books from Canada But Horrible , horrible odds getting them in ! Mark them as a gift, try this try that... NOPE more than happy just not shipping to Canada. I also really don't think it is meant as disrespectful or treating anyone like a 2nd class citizen Canadians are awesome but your customs departments are not!

Edited by paul747

5 hours ago, paul747 said:

Andy,

Your a good seller. I have had horrible experiences shipping to Canada. I have lost serious money shipping to Canada.  Maybe shipping to The US is a little easier than shipping into your country. Your incoming Custom's are a Joke, They have even been known to pop open slabs. Its a crxp shoot! and when shipping higher value books , no thanks. I get your point But I don't think its because of filling out some extra paper work. I have never had an issue Getting books from Canada But Horrible , horrible odds getting them in ! Mark them as a gift, try this try that... NOPE more than happy just not shipping to Canada. I also really don't think it is meant as disrespectful or treating anyone like a 2nd class citizen Canadians are awesome but your customs departments are not!

Did this happen when USPS was used? FedEx? UPS? Other? All of them?

16 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

I buy from Clink and Heritage quite often.  They get good books I can't find anywhere else. 

I do find I'm rarely winning books on Heritage lately.  They realize very high prices, their fees are high, their shipping is very expensive, and they fully declare on customs forms.  Once I factor in all the costs plus the exchange rate it's cost prohibitive.

We need a central proxy bidder who will receive everyone's books, then ship them out from Canada for a profit of course. 

12 hours ago, Jordysnordy said:

The Global Shipping program is NOT Canadian friendly. The rates charged are preposterous. Unless I absolutely have to, I try and avoid it at all costs. 

You're spot on.  The costs to Canadians are ridiculous!  I will NOT deal with anyone using this method to ship.

The Global Shipping program is NOT Canadian friendly. The rates charged are preposterous. Unless I absolutely have to, I try and avoid it at all costs. 

The Global Shipping Program rates are close to extortion and the reason I finally bit the bullet and got a US mailing address. Saves me a lot on shipping AND I get to load up on cheap US gas and junk food. :cloud9:

10 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

The Global Shipping Program rates are close to extortion and the reason I finally bit the bullet and got a US mailing address. Saves me a lot on shipping AND I get to load up on cheap US gas and junk food. :cloud9:

Don't forget the sh*tty beer!

49 minutes ago, lizards2 said:
1 hour ago, Black_Adam said:
13 hours ago, Jordysnordy said:

Don't forget the sh*tty beer!

Given the craft beer explosion that's going on now in the U.S., there is no excuse to drink crappy mass produced beer anymore.

On ebay I charge a handling fee on international orders to cover the added paypal costs and the time spent filling out customs forms, but I don't use global shipping, which I've heard can be ridiculous, especially as the items are essentially being mailed twice. My wife, who sometimes sells antiques and jewelry on ebay only uses it though, she just doesn't want to deal with international shipping herself, which I kind of understand, but I tell her those extra costs could go to her rather than ebay if she were more flexible.

18 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

I only worry about it if it's over $200. I even send first class when I can. 

Don't like it costing people a lot if I can help it and still sleep at night, lol....and I've always shipped to anywhere on here...I take returns too;) 

Oh it was over $200.  I sent a Hulk 6 to someone in Canada recently and tracking said it got there but I never got confirmation from the boardie that it arrived safely.

:baiting:

Great thread, and idea.

It does irk me when sellers say "I don't ship to Canada."  It doesn't make any logical sense.  Thankfully, most of the times I've asked them privately in a message they oblige OR I have another U.S. boardie act as the middle man who eventually ships the books to me (which does suck because its double dipping on shipping essentially.  But often shipping from U.S. to U.S. is included in the price or very cheap).

Having said that, next time we see "US only" we Canadians should say "I would take this if you shipped to Canada" and leave it in the thread?  It's not crapping on the thread, rather showing the seller the potential sale(s) they missed out on?  Or is this bad form?

Edited by Erndog

I like the motivation behind this thread.  I buy many, many comics from the US and have never had a problem with any not arriving.  It does irk me when I see “US only shipping” here or on other auction sites.  Like others have said if it is something I really want I message the seller and most times get a favorable response, but sometimes not.  As far as customs I have not yet received a package that appears to be damaged or “messed with”, and most times (about 90%) I have not been levied any taxes or brokerage (as long as the package is marked used books).  I have sold many books and shipped without problems also.  I always use Canada Post/USPS combo with tracking and add sig if the book is over 200 bucks.

That being said I respect anyone who prefers not to sell outside the US, it just sucks when it limits my purchasing.  

26 minutes ago, manetteska said:

Image result for snicker laugh

Was at a pub recently and will never forget the look on the young server's face - she was obviously new and completely unfamiliar with the tap menu - when she asked what she could get me and I told her I'd love a Fat Tug. She was doubly suspicious when, after assuring her it was the name of a beer, I told her I also wanted some Toad in the Hole.

Another thing that blows for Canadians on ebay.com is the site actually hides any comic listings with USA only shipping if you have a Canadian shipping address. You don't even have the chance to ask the seller if they will make an exception if you agree to pay the extra cost to Canada (which many US sellers will). I found this out early on when I couldn't see any of  Sharon's @skypinkblu listings. I ended up having to create a fake US shipping address (before I went and got a real one) just so I could view them!

40 minutes ago, thunsicker said:

Oh it was over $200.  I sent a Hulk 6 to someone in Canada recently and tracking said it got there but I never got confirmation from the boardie that it arrived safely.

:baiting:

:idea:

lol

sorry pal! doh! obviously I forgot... :sorry:

41 minutes ago, Erndog said:

Great thread, and idea.

It does irk me when sellers say "I don't ship to Canada."  It doesn't make any logical sense.  Thankfully, most of the times I've asked them privately in a message they oblige OR I have another U.S. boardie act as the middle man who eventually ships the books to me (which does suck because its double dipping on shipping essentially.  But often shipping from U.S. to U.S. is included in the price or very cheap).

Having said that, next time we see "US only" we Canadians should say "I would take this if you shipped to Canada" and leave it in the thread?  It's not crapping on the thread, rather showing the seller the potential sale(s) they missed out on?  Or is this bad form?

I would want to do that as well, but I think it's bad form. 2c