• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable'?
6 6

Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable' ?  

293 members have voted

1. 1. Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable'?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (feel free to post any alternative views accordingly)
  2. 2. Should CGC withdraw from service any holders which create / are prone to create Newton Rings?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Are you satisfied with CGC's response to date to this issue?

• Yes
    • No

888 posts in this topic

Just now, Dr. Love said:

Receipt for shipping cost will be applied as credit is their standard.  Reholder in this case is no charge I would imagine.

I see. But, stating there is nothing more that can be done, does not sound like it is at no charge. Am I missing something, along the lines of which came firts, the chicken or the egg?

3 minutes ago, Jerkfro said:

There is something they can do, design a better effin' slab!

That's hopefully on the to do list for the future but will take time. Reverting to the previous slab may also take time, depending on who produced it for them etc. In the meantime, we could do with an official position on what the resolution is for current affected users. It can't be right that a production issue which visually destroys the look of the book can be passed off with:

1. QC fails to spot NRs and sends book out
  2. You receive, complain, send back
  3. They re-holder with no guarantee that NRs will be eradicated
  4. You get it back, still with NRs
  5. "Then we cant help you. Here's a credit against future submissions" (subject to Pies response)

That's appalling!

28 minutes ago, Mr.Mcknowitall said:

I see. But, stating there is nothing more that can be done, does not sound like it is at no charge. Am I missing something, along the lines of which came firts, the chicken or the egg?

I assume that means, in the case of pies Spidey 308 for example, that another subsequent reholdering would not be gratis.  It's apparently a one-shot; if I had rings, at this point I'd monitor the situation through This Week Back from CGC and ongoing auction house listings (checking grade dates through the site cert lookup), wait approx 2-3 months after things seemed to be getting back to normal, and then submit the reholder for a no charge do-over.  You'll not get an all clear statement from CGC on this one - we got one 2 years ago when we "forced" the 1st gen new holders to 2nd gen.  CGC is very sparse when it comes to communications of this nature, especially if it's a supply chain issue, as this appears to be.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

CGC is very sparse when it comes to communications of this nature, especially if it's a supply chain issue, as this appears to be.

That needs to change Dr Love, wouldn't you say? Good advice sitting tight and waiting / watching. Shame it has to be suggested as a course of action though.

1 minute ago, I like pie said:

They offered me a refund for shipping to my credit card or an account credit. Credit was fine with me.

This reholder for some reason never showed up on my account. Not sure why.

Good. A CGC only redeemable credit only would've been questionable. 

15 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

I assume that means, in the case of pies Spidey 308 for example, that another subsequent reholdering would not be gratis.  It's apparently a one-shot; if I had rings, at this point I'd monitor the situation through This Week Back from CGC and ongoing auction house listings (checking grade dates through the site cert lookup), wait approx 2-3 months after things seemed to be getting back to normal, and then submit the reholder for a no charge do-over.  You'll not get an all clear statement from CGC on this one - we got one 2 years ago when we "forced" the 1st gen new holders to 2nd gen.  CGC is very sparse when it comes to communications of this nature, especially if it's a supply chain issue, as this appears to be.

Thank you.

FWIW, regarding returning a book for re-holder due to label error, I was just told the following in regards to reimbursement of shipping back to CGC: "our accounting department will reimburse you a percentage of your 3-day shipping."

Granted, not a newton ring issue, but still classified as a "mechanical error"...one would think reimbursement protocol would be uniform.

Edited by Callaway29

7 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

FWIW, regarding returning a book for re-holder due to label error, I was just told the following in regards to reimbursement of shipping back to CGC: "our accounting department will reimburse you a percentage of your 3-day shipping."

Granted, not a newton ring issue, but still classified as a "mechanical error"...one would think reimbursement protocol would be uniform.

I agree. 100%. Not a good business practice, at all. The client did not make the mistake. A TPG should be happy and enthusiastic to get a label error off the street. 

There's a lot of confusion and misinformation out there about what causes newton rings on graded comic book cases.  I've posted a lot of information and answered a lot of questions here about the issue, but I can't seem to locate the posts using the search engine.  I'm not sure if it's me, the search engine, or the fact that some of these threads were deleted.  In any case, I took some time today and created a simple explanation that isn't too technical.  I also made a video where I create newton rings on a CGC slab in a location where none existed before to help explain it visually.

Hope this helps.

What Causes Newton Rings - A Simple Explanation

12 hours ago, Ditch Fahrenheit said:

There's a lot of confusion and misinformation out there about what causes newton rings on graded comic book cases.  I've posted a lot of information and answered a lot of questions here about the issue, but I can't seem to locate the posts using the search engine.  I'm not sure if it's me, the search engine, or the fact that some of these threads were deleted.  In any case, I took some time today and created a simple explanation that isn't too technical.  I also made a video where I create newton rings on a CGC slab in a location where none existed before to help explain it visually.

Hope this helps.

What Causes Newton Rings - A Simple Explanation

Thanks Ditch!

There are two other companies that are not producing holders with rings, I don't understand why this company who didn't have rings before (or splotches, they really are splotches...can't redo the holders so they work? 

After my submission with the Katy Keenes, I got back 2 more submissions with Wonder Womans and Sensation comics. In the 1st Submission (the Katy Keenes), I also had some SA Batmans. Almost every SA book had splotches. BIG Splotches.

The GA books were pretty much OK with an occasional splotch. 

The last two submissions I got back had mostly GA books (49 total) , with a couple of later WW's in SA holders. This time the SA holders are OK, but MANY of the GA books look like the characters have some kind of black plague. 

I'm wasting a lot of time going over these books. I went over them before I submitted them and there was no plague.

But if *I* can see them, without glasses or magnifiers, then the QC people need more training, OR they need actual QC people.

Here is the center of Sensation comics 46, just as an example.

20180828_093320.thumb.jpg.b724d579f7590939a6e357e8db57640a.jpg

3 minutes ago, HENRYSPENCER said:

Newton rings are normal.  If you've ever bought a pack of mylars, you get Newton rings using those as well.  It's just the material that's being used.

Yes. The material. It is not "normal". There are many reasons. " Normal" is not  one of them, unless you are referring to lack of manufacturing/assembly/contamination issues in quality control "normal". Then I would agree.

38 minutes ago, HENRYSPENCER said:

Newton rings are normal.  If you've ever bought a pack of mylars, you get Newton rings using those as well.  It's just the material that's being used.

They were not around before they changed the cases. We had the old cases a lot longer than the new cases, so "normal" is not the term I'd use. I like the term "unacceptable" .  I don't pay a 3rd party to put mylars on my books. As a matter of fact, I no longer use mylars because they can slice up a comic, I use a better product.

This year, I had a goal to submit 50 books a month.  The newton rings are fairly prevalent on all books.   August is the first month I have not submitted books.  I have more than 100 set aside for submission, but keep waiting on a resolution to the newton rings.  I looked at the competition and thought I would give them a try.  Looking at their forums, people are still waiting for their books back from March/April submissions.  So my options are A) submit and accept the newton rings, B) submit to the competitor and wait 6+ months for them to return, C) dont get them graded.  At this point, I am going to just keep them and wait for a resolution.

4 minutes ago, lonetree said:

This year, I had a goal to submit 50 books a month.  The newton rings are fairly prevalent on all books.   August is the first month I have not submitted books.  I have more than 100 set aside for submission, but keep waiting on a resolution to the newton rings.  I looked at the competition and thought I would give them a try.  Looking at their forums, people are still waiting for their books back from March/April submissions.  So my options are A) submit and accept the newton rings, B) submit to the competitor and wait 6+ months for them to return, C) dont get them graded.  At this point, I am going to just keep them and wait for a resolution.

However, I don't think CGC is working on a 'resolution'. They think everything is fine, which technically it is because the books are not affected.

17 minutes ago, DavidTheDavid said:

In fairness, old cases sometimes exhibited these, just not to the extent of the newest ones.

It is not a matter of fairness. It is a matter of contamination, and known gassing, and known Copolymer extrusion grade thermoformed material, that can also exhibit the problem with heat application, sonic or not, and all the other aspects I have previously mentioned. The sealed product could also have developed a minute separation that allowed a contamination. Who knows. But, "normal" it is not. My opinion, of course. For an entity to then describe the problem as "normal" and not address the lack of customer confidence, is normal, these days in business, though.