• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable'?
6 6

Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable' ?  

293 members have voted

1. 1. Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable'?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (feel free to post any alternative views accordingly)
  2. 2. Should CGC withdraw from service any holders which create / are prone to create Newton Rings?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Are you satisfied with CGC's response to date to this issue?

• Yes
    • No

893 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Changing the subject for a second, how does IMHO differ to IMO? Is not your opinion alone honest? Where noted, should I read IMO as 'I'm lying'?

H for humble...I am a humble kind of fellow.

3 minutes ago, Mr.Mcknowitall said:
7 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I don't know about light refraction, but I will say that Newton rings are caused by to plastics touching :$ Whether light causes this contact to show up, I do not know....

On my Moon Knight sketch it was basically a blank white cover with an ink sketch on top. The Newton Rings on it did not show as rainbow colors.... they looked more like air bubbles that were grey to a certain extent. I don't know if this was because there was no "color" to the book in the slab or not....but the rings muddied up the clarity to the point that it was really splotchy.

Give me a second and I'll get on my phone and upload pics as an example to this post... :foryou: 

IF you have a chance to read my earlier posts, I touch on the subject....contamination, type of material and manufacturing control, heat extrusion, etc. Plastic aint' plastic...until it is plastic. The light refraction is not the cause....it is a consequence. (Of course IMHO).

I think that we're saying the same thing. I think it is an uneven spread of plastic, CGC says that it is similar to a "phone screen protector", which of course no matter how much you squish and smush never ends up even all the way across and has air pockets; however phones that come with them and that are not peeled off, have no visible effects.

If it is the way it is put together, as I think you suggest, then that would seem positive as there should be an easy fix..... the inner well is not sturdy and comes in contact with the outer which is sturdy and doesn't move, or it is not flexible, causing where the plastics touch to not be even, causing air pockets just as a 'screen protector'?

1 minute ago, Mr.Mcknowitall said:
6 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Changing the subject for a second, how does IMHO differ to IMO? Is not your opinion alone honest? Where noted, should I read IMO as 'I'm lying'?

H for humble...I am a humble kind of fellow

Aha! Humble, not honest. I see that now. 

So, where noted should I read IMO as 'I'm a knowitall'?

Oh, wait....

1 minute ago, evilskip said:

I don't send books off to CGC,  I buy them on the "secondary" market. But the Newton Rings may be the catalyst where I bail out of this area of collecting. If there is a CGC book listed on ebay, I'm going to start asking them if there are Newton Rings. Either that or just avoid buying books slabbed since 2016.

And we can sit here and debate the cause of Newton Rings until doomsday. The real point is, they are as ugly as your sister's prom date and detract from the look of the book.

Concur. Dissatisfied customers is the precursor of change. Informed dissatisfied customers improve that change.

Just now, Get Marwood & I said:

Aha! Humble, not honest. I see that now. 

So, where noted should I read IMO as 'I'm a knowitall'?

Oh, wait....

lollol

1 minute ago, Mr.Mcknowitall said:

Concur. Dissatisfied customers is the precursor of change. Informed dissatisfied customers improve that change.

The problem being, with the boards there is so much information, that we sometimes miss certain parts, then questions get asked that may or may not have been addressed. :makepoint: it still gets convoluted sometimes. No harm no foul :foryou:  

5 minutes ago, evilskip said:

The real point is, they are as ugly as your sister's prom date and detract from the look of the book.

A drag for the guy reading this that married her. His slab is infected and his wife is ugly. 

1 minute ago, Get Marwood & I said:
8 minutes ago, evilskip said:

The real point is, they are as ugly as your sister's prom date and detract from the look of the book.

A drag for the guy reading this that married her. His slab is infected and his wife is ugly.

I ballsed that up didn't I hm

4 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I think that we're saying the same thing. I think it is an uneven spread of plastic, CGC says that it is similar to a "phone screen protector", which of course no matter how much you squish and smush never ends up even all the way across and has air pockets; however phones that come with them and that are not peeled off, have no visible effects.

If it is the way it is put together, as I think you suggest, then that would seem positive as there should be an easy fix..... the inner well is not sturdy and comes in contact with the outer which is sturdy and doesn't move, or it is not flexible, causing where the plastics touch to not be even, causing air pockets just as a 'screen protector'?

Not exactly....why would the material touching be a cause....unless there is something in the quality of the material that causes it.

Look at PMG Holders. No Rings. same Entity. Same manufacturing process. Inert. No gassing. No contamination. Controlled heat/extrusion. Not same raw material. Light simply allows the human eye to observe the "flaws" in the material. I mentioned had anybody used a black light. There is a reason.

3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

The problem being, with the boards there is so much information, that we sometimes miss certain parts, then questions get asked that may or may not have been addressed. :makepoint: it still gets convoluted sometimes. No harm no foul :foryou:  

No harm or foul.(thumbsu I was referring to the best approach toward the problem, by members, and the more informed we are about any possible reasons, and that a sister entity does not have the same problem with a comparable Holder, it is no so easy to dismiss the members complaining. 

Just now, Get Marwood & I said:
2 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:
9 minutes ago, evilskip said:

I ballsed that up didn't I hm

...although they could've been lesbians and the date later turned I suppose?

Anyway, Newton rings suck and we want them gone. 

"Whadda we want!"

"No newton rings!"

"Whendawe want em?"

"As soon as practically possible please"

6 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

lol

5 minutes ago, Mr.Mcknowitall said:

Not exactly....why would the material touching be a cause....unless there is something in the quality of the material that causes it.

Look at PMG Holders. No Rings. same Entity. Same manufacturing process. Inert. No gassing. No contamination. Controlled heat/extrusion. Not same raw material. Light simply allows the human eye to observe the "flaws" in the material. I mentioned had anybody used a black light. There is a reason.

That makes sense, but I doubt cgc will address it specifically because they might think it company privacy. :foryou:

Of course this would be number 1 in my book if I were cgc, and if it were so, why there is no fix idk.

Edited by ADAMANTIUM
, comma

...although they could've been lesbians and the date later turned I suppose?

Anyway, Newton rings suck and we want them gone. 

"Whadda we want!"

"No newton rings!"

"Whendawe want em?"

"As soon as practically possible please"

Welllll, not exactly a demanding resolve, but certainly a display of British manners.....

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

That makes sense, but I doubt cgc will address it specifically because they might think it company privacy. :foryou:

Of course this would be number 1 in my book if I were cgc, and if it were so why there is no fix idk.

Money money money, must be funny, in a scenario where people willingly pay for sub standard products! 

ABBA were good weren't they. 

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Of course this would be number 1 in my book if I were cgc, and if it were so why there is no fix idk.

:ph34r: Sometimes, privacy causes a business to shoot itself in the foot...

Money money money, must be funny, in a scenario where people willingly pay for sub standard products! 

ABBA were good weren't they. 

Yes, they were. 

Just now, Mr.Mcknowitall said:

:ph34r: Sometimes, privacy causes a business to shoot itself in the foot...

Just look at Long John Silver! 

Oh, privacy. Sorry.