• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mods
1 1

41 posts in this topic

45 minutes ago, rube11 said:

HOW do you get in touch with the mods..my thread in the golden/silver/bronze for sale was pulled a SECOND time after I thought all the damm rules were followed...:frustrated:

NOW I want to know why

Thanks,

SR

I had someone tell me my PayPal acceptance declaration wasn’t right because I mentioned friends and family.  Why that’s an issue I don’t know but I guess it’s only fair that we pay the 3% fees (I say that jokingly of course).  Anyway, I was warned by self appointed mods and not the real ones.  But the nebulous nature of the payment rules tends to be the one the button humpers jump on the most.

11 minutes ago, I like pie said:

The buyer loses all protection with friends/family paypal. Unless I've dealt with the seller before, I'd rather pay the extra 3%. I believe that rule keeps a lot of snakes from stealing here.

That’s actually what I had said.  If I had done previous transactions with the buyer then they could take 3% off the price.  I believe that was the offending line.

1 hour ago, rube11 said:

HOW do you get in touch with the mods..my thread in the golden/silver/bronze for sale was pulled a SECOND time after I thought all the damm rules were followed...:frustrated:

NOW I want to know why

Thanks,

SR

just say a few bad words and they will get hold of you :makepoint:             (tsk)                 :jokealert:

44 minutes ago, comicquant said:

I had someone tell me my PayPal acceptance declaration wasn’t right because I mentioned friends and family.  Why that’s an issue I don’t know but I guess it’s only fair that we pay the 3% fees (I say that jokingly of course).  Anyway, I was warned by self appointed mods and not the real ones.  But the nebulous nature of the payment rules tends to be the one the button humpers jump on the most.

Paypal is a service. They charge for that service. Using the "send money to friends and family" option to buy merchandise is expressly prohibited in their terms of use. Paypal offers that option as a courtesy. They do not get paid when people use that option. Therefore, using that option to pay for merchandise is stealing. 

It is only fair we pay to use a service. I'll never understand why that is in the least bit controversial. We maintain a "Probation List" for people we think have done us wrong, but a substantial portion of us don't have any problem using Paypal "for free"...?

1 hour ago, comicquant said:

Actually you had a PP surcharge and/or friends and family listed as payment options. lol   

B "Nice book but fyi arch has a new rule on surcharges etc...I was going to threacrap but hockey is on.  " 

C Thanks bababooey!  I’ll read thru it.

B Ok you got #10 (that i linked to) but are still violating #9, can't ask for "personal/friends and family"  Maybe I should have done this in your thread. :baiting:    

- bababooey < --- self appointed mod :acclaim:

Edited by bababooey

2 hours ago, rube11 said:

NOW I want to know why

Thanks,

SR

I've never had a mod respond to any question-when I PM the message goes unread.  Best to PM Arch.  

1 hour ago, bababooey said:

Actually you had a PP surcharge and/or friends and family listed as payment options. lol   

B "Nice book but fyi arch has a new rule on surcharges etc...I was going to threacrap but hockey is on.  " 

C Thanks bababooey!  I’ll read thru it.

B Ok you got #10 (that i linked to) but are still violating #9, can't ask for "personal/friends and family"  Maybe I should have done this in your thread. :baiting:    

- bababooey < --- self appointed mod :acclaim:

lol trust me, you aren’t the one I was referring to.  Obviously there wasn’t much contention in our interaction.  If all “warnings” were done in this manner it’s likely this wouldn’t be an issue.  Same thread though.  I would vote for you if you ever decide to become an official mod.

2 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Paypal is a service. They charge for that service. Using the "send money to friends and family" option to buy merchandise is expressly prohibited in their terms of use. Paypal offers that option as a courtesy. They do not get paid when people use that option. Therefore, using that option to pay for merchandise is stealing. 

It is only fair we pay to use a service. I'll never understand why that is in the least bit controversial. We maintain a "Probation List" for people we think have done us wrong, but a substantial portion of us don't have any problem using Paypal "for free"...?

I don't think the fees themselves are the controversy.  At least in my case it was how the offending post was brought to my attention.  I didn't get a PM on the boards, I got a DM on Instagram (I don't know their board name -- bababooey -> good cop/bad cop?).  There are those here to keep the peace and provide constructive feedback and there are those waiting for rule violators so they can play the moral high ground (for reasons I don't even want to know -> atonement of sin? jesus complex? Ego? Hate their mother? -> Who knows).  After this happened I looked through PayPal's rules on this and while I found some relevant snippets here and there the only pointed content I could find was the following:

If you use your PayPal account to receive payments for the sale of goods and services or accept donations, you must not ask your buyer to send you money using the “send money to a friend or family member.” If you do so, PayPal may remove your PayPal account’s ability to accept payments from friends or family members. 

(Here is the link for the content above)

So using this as my guideline would my post be moral/legal if I said:

If I've had transactions with you in the past I will assume you will send payment as friends and family but I will not ask you to do so because if I do, PayPal may (or may not) remove my ability to accept payments from my friends or family

I would say yes but my guess is there will be those who have a less literal interpretation of the meaning behind paypal's statement on friends or family transactions.  To this end I know bababooey to be an advocate of the boards so I chose to go with the flow but at the end of the day if I have to follow a misinterpretation of the rules I would prefer it be a mandate made by a mod.  It seems much less creepy.      

Edited by comicquant

55 minutes ago, comicquant said:

I don't think the fees themselves are the controversy.  At least in my case it was how the offending post was brought to my attention.  I didn't get a PM on the boards, I got a DM on Instagram (I don't know their board name -- bababooey -> good cop/bad cop?).  There are those here to keep the peace and provide constructive feedback and there are those waiting for rule violators so they can play the moral high ground (for reasons I don't even want to know -> atonement of sin? jesus complex? Ego? Hate their mother? -> Who knows).  After this happened I looked through PayPal's rules on this and while I found some relevant snippets here and there the only pointed content I could find was the following:

If you use your PayPal account to receive payments for the sale of goods and services or accept donations, you must not ask your buyer to send you money using the “send money to a friend or family member.” If you do so, PayPal may remove your PayPal account’s ability to accept payments from friends or family members. 

(Here is the link for the content above)

So using this as my guideline would my post be moral/legal if I said:

If I've had transactions with you in the past I will assume you will send payment as friends and family but I will not ask you to do so because if I do, PayPal may (or may not) remove my ability to accept payments from my friends or family

I would say yes but my guess is there will be those who have a less literal interpretation of the meaning behind paypal's statement on friends or family transactions.  To this end I know bababooey to be an advocate of the boards so I chose to go with the flow but at the end of the day if I have to follow a misinterpretation of the rules I would prefer it be a mandate made by a mod.  It seems much less creepy.      

I have no comment on the motivations of people who act as, as you put it, "self-appointed mods", but you're still misunderstanding the issue, as many people who don't want to pay Paypal to use their services do.

Paypal provides a service. That service has a cost. There is no "workaround" in the manner you're attempting to use it.

Here's the pertinent statement:

"You may not use the “send money to a friend or family member” feature in your PayPal account when you are paying for goods and services."

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full

2049783842_paypaluseragreementsendingpayments.thumb.png.a29dab69eac7d7ef2f20bfa3112c502d.png

(Sorry for the small size.)

Paypal provides a service. They are not a charity. This board maintains a "Probation List" for people for infractions even as small as not completing a sale which, while admittedly frustrating and a theft of time, doesn't rise to the level of actually stealing money from Paypal by circumventing their fees.

Shouldn't even be controversial, yet...here we are.

28 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I have no comment on the motivations of people who act as, as you put it, "self-appointed mods", but you're still misunderstanding the issue, as many people who don't want to pay Paypal to use their services do.

Paypal provides a service. That service has a cost. There is no "workaround" in the manner you're attempting to use it.

Here's the pertinent statement:

"You may not use the “send money to a friend or family member” feature in your PayPal account when you are paying for goods and services."

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full

2049783842_paypaluseragreementsendingpayments.thumb.png.a29dab69eac7d7ef2f20bfa3112c502d.png

(Sorry for the small size.)

Paypal provides a service. They are not a charity. This board maintains a "Probation List" for people for infractions even as small as not completing a sale which, while admittedly frustrating and a theft of time, doesn't rise to the level of actually stealing money from Paypal by circumventing their fees.

Shouldn't even be controversial, yet...here we are.

Not to beat a dead horse but the statement you're referring to puts the onus on the buyer in this case.  I saw this while reading all the fine print and wondered if they intentionally outlined their die-hard stance against buyers because a buyer is much less likely to be affected by these rules than the seller...  Outside of not being able to file a claim (which costs paypal money).  So who is stealing under these rules?  The buyer or the seller?  The seller strictly adhered to the rules and the buyer only realizes a disadvantage if they need to file a claim.  The only way a seller can absolutely prevent a buyer from sending friends and family is to open a business account.  To us it seems like a haphazard ruling but there's a lot of thought put into this.  They've worded the rules in a way its the buyers fault if something backfires.  "Well, I'm sorry your package never arrived but we told you not to send friends and family...  Its right there in the rules".  They either save money by not having to process a claim or make their 3% on the sale.  Its actually genius on their part.

Edited by comicquant

3 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I guess I'm really not understanding what part of "you use a service, you pay for that service" is not clear. It's the cost of doing business.

I hear ya and completely agree with that statement.  The gist of my ramblings are that the cost of business is factored into the way the rules are presented and that those rules are very carefully crafted.