• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HA Summer Signature Auction
5 5

172 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, TheWatcher said:
23 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Where's Gator with his usual play by play for these Heritage Auctions that he used to do a couple of years ago.  Or has he timed it once again so that he is he down on another one of his jaunts to a South American or Central American country which has no internet service.  (shrug)

Much closer: Tampa Bay Comic Con. He's set up there this weekend 

Wow, no internet service in Tampa now.  lol

Am I missing something on Wonderworld Comics #11 7.5?  Was a hammer of $26,400 expected?  I saw the book at SDCC and it had an estimated "sell for" price of $2K+.  Guess the "+" heavily applied!

Just now, grube09 said:

Am I missing something on Wonderworld Comics #11 7.5?  Was a hammer of $26,400 expected?  I saw the book at SDCC and it had an estimated "sell for" price of $2K+.  Guess the "+" heavily applied!

Craziest result in the auction, imo.  The Church copy sold in last year's Berk auction for $19K.

47 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

Missed out on my GA wants of Archie 7 and the beautiful Famous Funnies.

Wow, that must record breaking blowup price for that copy of Famous Funnies #213:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/science-fiction/famous-funnies-213-eastern-color-1954-cgc-vf-80-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/7189-91035.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Archive-ThisAuction-120115

Those Frazetta FF covers had really jumped in price a couple of decades ago, and after that they seemed to settle back in terms of price to somewhere much closer, but still higher than guide valuations as more copies came to market.  (shrug)

Now, if this sale is any indication, could this be the first sign of another big leg up on these beautifully crafted Frazetta Famous Funnies covers.  :cloud9:

Just now, Sqeggs said:

Craziest result in the auction, imo.  The Church copy sold in last year's Berk auction for $19K.

And that was a 9.6, right?  While no slouch at a 7.5, it's definitely no Church copy.  Wow, yeah, I'm just stunned at that one :whatthe:

1 minute ago, lou_fine said:

Wow, that must record breaking blowup price for that copy of Famous Funnies #213:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/science-fiction/famous-funnies-213-eastern-color-1954-cgc-vf-80-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/7189-91035.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Archive-ThisAuction-120115

Those Frazetta FF covers had really jumped in price a couple of decades ago, and after that they seemed to settle back in terms of price to somewhere much closer, but still higher than guide valuations as more copies came to market.  (shrug)

Now, if this sale is any indication, could this be the first sign of another big leg up on these beautifully crafted Frazetta Famous Funnies covers.  :cloud9:

WOW!! I stepped away during that one. I am blown away. :whatthe:

1 hour ago, ThothAmon said:

Missed out on my GA wants of Archie 7 and the beautiful Famous Funnies.  Man those Star Wars action figures are giving the Dubai collector a very cold bath.

I went hard after that Frazetta Famous Funnies, but dropped out at 4.5 times guide.  I think it went for 6 times guide

31 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:
33 minutes ago, grube09 said:

Don't know about anybody else here, but even with the missing coupon, I would have taken this higher graded with nicer pages copy that sold in the CC auction only a few short months ago:

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=719786

The buyer of the CC copy must be totally ecstatic that he had to pay only about 10% over condition guide for his copy while this Heritage buyer had to pay almost 20X condition guide for his copy here.  As you correctly stated here, totally bonkers.  :screwy:

37 minutes ago, grube09 said:
39 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

And that was a 9.6, right?  While no slouch at a 7.5, it's definitely no Church copy.  Wow, yeah, I'm just stunned at that one :whatthe:

36 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

Do we have a new “big fish” in the pool chasing books at any cost?

Just noticed from the Heritage scan that although it's definitely no Church copy, it is part of the so-called "Black S" collection:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/wonderworld-comics-11-fox-1940-cgc-vf-75-off-white-pages/a/7189-91100.s?ic16=ViewItem-Auction-Archive-JumpLot-081514

Apparently, there is a run of these early Mystery Men and Wonderworld books with the same "Black S" marking with the black felt pen and all of them are in relatively HG condition, with some of them possibly in even nicer condition than this one here.  Saw some of them a couple decades ago and they were indeed beautiful copies that dealers were asking multiples of guide for even at that time.  hm

So, who knows, maybe more of these so-called early Fox "Black S" copies will come to market with this absolutely astounding auction result. :wishluck:

4 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Just noticed from the Heritage scan that although it's definitely no Church copy, it is part of the so-called "Black S" collection:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/wonderworld-comics-11-fox-1940-cgc-vf-75-off-white-pages/a/7189-91100.s?ic16=ViewItem-Auction-Archive-JumpLot-081514

Apparently, there is a run of these early Mystery Men and Wonderworld books with the same "Black S" marking with the black felt pen and all of them are in relatively HG condition, with some of them possibly in even nicer condition than this one here.  Saw some of them a couple decades ago and they were indeed beautiful copies that dealers were asking multiples of guide for even at that time.  hm

So, who knows, maybe more of these so-called early Fox "Black S" copies will come to market with this absolutely astounding auction result. :wishluck:

So an alchemist could make some bucks with a black felt tipped pen hm

7 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Looks more like a grease marker.

1 minute ago, sfcityduck said:

Looks more like a grease marker.

Yes, that's exactly what it was.  (thumbsu

All done by the same person as the shape of the "S" marking was all the same, just in slightly varying sizes if I remember correctly.  But in all, still beautiful copies.  :cloud9:

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Definitely well done and it's about time this seemingly much under-appreciated L.B. Cole classic si-fi cover finally received some recognition from the buyers in the marketplace:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/adventure/blue-bolt-105-star-publications-1950-cgc-vf-75-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7189-91019.s

Must be a real toughie to fine in the marketplace as collectors most likely do not want to part with this book once they obtain one.  The Heritage archives indicates a total of only 3 copies sold, all of them back in 2007 ranging in price from the low $300 to the high $800 price range.  

My personal thinking is that if one of the higher graded copies of this book ever does come to market, it would probably have a good chance of breaking the mythical $10K price barrier.  hm

Check this one out in the upcoming Comiclink auction. Gotta feeling it will break 10K.... 

RADF0375201881_113351.jpg

21 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

I've seen that "S" black marking in pre Robin tecs as well.l, in fact I had a Tec 35 with it and I've seen it in a 33 and 37. Not sure if it is from the same collection. 

Makes me wonder if it's possible that these books came out from one of the early pioneer collector's high grade collection before there was such a thing as pedigree collections. (shrug)

Especially when we've heard rumours about possible pedigree quality collections of books before there were officially designated pedigrees that seem to have only started in the mid 70's.  hm

Edited by lou_fine