• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what's the most copies you have of a single issue?
2 2

118 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

I realize in some cases, people sort of fall into having huge numbers of multiples of a single book-- be it from speculation, buying a collection or store stock, or the combination of multiple collections bought over the years.

Then there are the people who seem to have some affinity to particular books and buy them as often as they see them-- hoarding them basically.

Are they doing it cause they are a little crazy about the book or because they think that particular book is going to be worth tons of money some day?

I hoard, but only on dirt cheap books that I think are cool. For instance, I buy every copy of Ghost Rider 15 I can find, but I won't pay more than $1 for it. But if it's a buck or less, bring 'em on, I'll buy 'em! Because, you know, glow in the dark flaming skull. What's not to like?

Same with any Dave Stevens, Adam Hughes, Brian Bolland or Mike Mignola covers I find for a buck or less, though those aren't nearly as plentiful as they once were.

Why do I do it? I dunno, I just like the books a lot, and for a buck or less, I figure why not? With some books, it's because they display well in my comic racks, and I can set them out in the racks without worrying that a valuable book is going to be damaged. A comic rack full of Ghost Rider 15 looks pretty cool, and I don't have to sweat it if they get bent, dusty, whatever.

15 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

I realize in some cases, people sort of fall into having huge numbers of multiples of a single book-- be it from speculation, buying a collection or store stock, or the combination of multiple collections bought over the years.

Then there are the people who seem to have some affinity to particular books and buy them as often as they see them-- hoarding them basically.

Are they doing it cause they are a little crazy about the book or because they think that particular book is going to be worth tons of money some day?

I buy books I like.  If I like them a lot, I tend to buy multiple copies as I find them.  I have no interest or desire to sell them, so to answer your question (for me), it has nothing to do with what they are worth today or in the future, but rather it is because I am a little :screwy:lol 

I like to have a reader copy of all my favorite slabbed books, but normally I don't have any more than 4-5 copies of any one particular book.  Usually, it's because I stumble across copies that's too good of a deal to pass up or I'm just upgrading.  This would include 'Tec #395, Chamber of Darkness #4 (Conan try-out), Bats #255, Kull #1, and Marvel Preview #7.

15 hours ago, ninanina said:

Dazzler #1 - 200 copies. Don't know what I was thinking at the time. But learned my lesson well. When Turok #1 came out, I only bought 1 copy. :preach:

Ironically, Turok #1 had a chromium card on the cover, so between the two books, Turok was the one that dazzled. :preach:

22 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

I stand corrected.  12 of these on hand. I used to buy multiple spideys and xmen back in the day. 

4C73F6F6-3F59-410B-B64D-9254F1398BAB.jpeg

Spiderman is the best. The character is just cool as all out doors. 

On 7/31/2018 at 1:07 PM, F For Fake said:

I hoard, but only on dirt cheap books that I think are cool. For instance, I buy every copy of Ghost Rider 15 I can find, but I won't pay more than $1 for it. But if it's a buck or less, bring 'em on, I'll buy 'em! Because, you know, glow in the dark flaming skull. What's not to like?

Same with any Dave Stevens, Adam Hughes, Brian Bolland or Mike Mignola covers I find for a buck or less, though those aren't nearly as plentiful as they once were.

Why do I do it? I dunno, I just like the books a lot, and for a buck or less, I figure why not? With some books, it's because they display well in my comic racks, and I can set them out in the racks without worrying that a valuable book is going to be damaged. A comic rack full of Ghost Rider 15 looks pretty cool, and I don't have to sweat it if they get bent, dusty, whatever.

This is exactly how I wound up with a short box of Dave Stevens, a short box of Campbell, and a short box of Adam Hughes at one time.  I think I've got it down to maybe a box and a half now.

I seriously doubt if I'm the only one who thinks like this, but if you believed that stock in a company was a good investment, you'd probably buy more than one share of stock (even though they're all identical).

So, if you believe that a slab of a certain comic is a good investment, then why would you limit yourself to just one?  Or two?  Or ten?

Draw whatever conclusions (about my collection) that you like. :wink:

I have somewhere around 50 copies of both ASM 194 and 265. 13 of the 50 ASM 194 are slabs. Started buying them before Silver an Black was announced. Have a Short Box of the regular cover of Spider Gwen #1 as well.

4 hours ago, Mayor006 said:

This is exactly how I wound up with a short box of Dave Stevens, a short box of Campbell, and a short box of Adam Hughes at one time.  I think I've got it down to maybe a box and a half now.

Yes, for the longest time you could find tons of this material in the bargain bins. And there's still SOME of this out there, particularly the 80's Hughes books that still haven't caught on (Maze Agency, JLI, etc.) But either dealers aren't putting those books in the boxes as much anymore, or I'm competing with a lot of other folks for the same stuff, because I definitely don't find as much of this material on the cheap as I used to. But I guess that could be said about nearly any book these days.

On 8/2/2018 at 12:46 PM, Hudson said:

I was going to avoid posting this (as I have posted it before), but after those awesome photos by @Ditch Fahrenheit I figured what the heck, let's see more GA...

774824416_JoJo25groupof10(3).thumb.jpg.286aea361a1b56a906929fe520ccbf26.jpg

Hopefully this will not annoy anyone (as Ditch puts it).

I think I will refrain from posting any photos of books that I actually have a lot of copies of.

I am wondering if someone has a mild fetish. hm