• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC changing restoration labels now?

9 posts in this topic

So I just caught this in a comic book forum on facebook. This person admits there is color touch that was done but didn't like having a restoration label on it so sent it back asking not to have it and  CGC changed it. This doesn't vote well for CGC knowing that they switched a label especially on a very huge key like this as that is $100s to $1000s of dollars of a difference and somebody could easily get ripped off. How does everybody feel about that?

Screenshot_20180808-070912_Facebook.jpg

I should add that if it started as a blue label I am fine but there should be a note it was switched from a purple label then. It allows a buyer to know that it was once graded at restoration 

1 minute ago, Comix22 said:

I should add that if it started as a blue label I am fine but there should be a note it was switched from a purple label then. It allows a buyer to know that it was once graded at restoration 

Having the restoration removed is the same as not being restored.  They literally remove it to the point the graders are unable to tell there was ever any restoration done to the book.  There are books that have never been graded by CGC which have restoration removed prior to grading that come back blue.  Its the exact same scenario with purple labels.  The owner could crack the purple label and remove it themselves.  Once CGC gets their hand on the book for grading they would have no idea the book had ever been graded.  An unrestored book is an unrestored book regardless of its path to becoming unrestored.

I think this is an aspect of the hobby and 3rd party grading I dislike. I give the graders more credit than others here and I do think they can see and detect the fact that resto was removed. Is having resto, then removing it the same as never having resto in the first place ? IMO, no it is not. The book was intentionally hacked, not to conserve the book or to improve the appearance, just to financially gain. I hate the look of scraped off CT. This book should never have come back in the same grade. Also, I see no reason why the FB guy should brag about it publicly. 

16 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I give the graders more credit than others here and I do think they can see and detect the fact that resto was removed.

Thanks Bob. 

I can understand this considering the value of the book. The submitter rolled the dice and won...way to go. :whatev:

6 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I think this is an aspect of the hobby and 3rd party grading I dislike. I give the graders more credit than others here and I do think they can see and detect the fact that resto was removed. Is having resto, then removing it the same as never having resto in the first place ? IMO, no it is not. The book was intentionally hacked, not to conserve the book or to improve the appearance, just to financially gain. I hate the look of scraped off CT. This book should never have come back in the same grade. Also, I see no reason why the FB guy should brag about it publicly. 

Certainly in bad taste to brag about it publicly.

I would mention that the appearance of the areas of a book that has color touch removed will vary according to how the CT was done in the first place. I would assume, or hope, in this case that the CT was done professionally, and thus it was easier to remove than amateur CT. 

1 hour ago, Phill the Governor said:

I would mention that the appearance of the areas of a book that has color touch removed will vary according to how the CT was done in the first place. I would assume, or hope, in this case that the CT was done professionally, and thus it was easier to remove than amateur CT. 

Agreed, professional should be a clean removal. I was thinking of the CT scrape in my comments.