• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2 copies of Action 1 on Facebook group...Are they real?
5 5

179 posts in this topic

33 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

Apparently some guy just claimed his grandfather left him the 9.0 white Pages action 1. Silly people 

The suspense is killing me! lol

16 minutes ago, Domo Arigato said:

So you're saying you wouldn't judge it based on what's been presented.....and then you judge it.

Seems legit. lol

No, I said I wouldn't judge it as a scam on just the fact that an Action #1 was the only book found.

But nice try. ;- )

1 minute ago, VintageComics said:

No, I said I wouldn't judge it as a scam on just the fact that an Action #1 was the only book found.

But nice try. ;- )

Who was judging it as a scam on just the fact that an Action #1 was the only book found?

And on what information are you using to judge it as a scam? hm

8 minutes ago, Domo Arigato said:

Who was judging it as a scam on just the fact that an Action #1 was the only book found?

You were when you said that there were two copies of Action #1 and no other comics. If you weren't then I misread your post.

8 minutes ago, Domo Arigato said:

And on what information are you using to judge it as a scam? hm

A combination of things.

The artwork on the books, the way the story unfolded, my gut instinct.

1 minute ago, VintageComics said:

You were when you said that there were two copies of Action #1 and no other comics. If you weren't then I misread your post.

That wasn't the entirety of my post.  And yes, "finding" two copies at once hidden away in a trunk and no other comics makes it less believable.  Unless either of the legitimate instances you cited happened to find two copies of Action #1 together with no other comics.

3 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

A combination of things.

The artwork on the books, the way the story unfolded, my gut instinct.

So....feelings and gut instinct?

Seems legit. lol

1 minute ago, Domo Arigato said:

That wasn't the entirety of my post.  And yes, "finding" two copies at once hidden away in a trunk and no other comics makes it less believable.  Unless either of the legitimate instances you cited happened to find two copies of Action #1 together with no other comics.

I didn't think whether or not the trunk was opened since 1955 was worth debating.

2 minutes ago, Domo Arigato said:

So....feelings and gut instinct?

Nope and yes.

My guess is just as legit as anyone else's at this point.

22 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

I didn't think whether or not the trunk was opened since 1955 was worth debating.

I didn't say it was worth debating.  But it was part of my post and goes back to, as you said, a combination of things including the way the story unfolded.

22 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

My guess is just as legit as anyone else's at this point.

Of course it is....and guessing is all any of us are doing. 

And my guess is that the biggest red flag (so far) is that he supposedly found....not one....but two Action #1 comics neatly placed between clothes in a trunk that has been sealed for the past 60+ years.  So, I'll say it again.

Seems legit*

*Disclosure for accuracy: This is not to imply that finding two Action #1 comics together without any other comics is impossible.  It is possible.  Although highly improbable.  Sort of like monkeys flying out of my butt.  Probably wouldn't happen.  But, if I was to develop a case of explosive diarrhea and use a turkey baster to inject live sea monkeys into my rectum, it could "technically" happen.

Edited by Domo Arigato

I remember stumbling on a site where people were talking about action #1 and you cant believe the number of people who popped up saying wow I have this book-it's still in one of those plastic sleeve thingies-I had no idea it was worth so much!  Desperate for attention.

50 minutes ago, Domo Arigato said:

I didn't say it was worth debating.  But it was part of my post and goes back to, as you said, a combination of things including the way the story unfolded.

Of course it is....and guessing is all any of us are doing. 

And my guess is that the biggest red flag (so far) is that he supposedly found....not one....but two Action #1 comics neatly placed between clothes in a trunk that has been sealed for the past 60+ years.  So, I'll say it again.

Seems legit*

*Disclosure for accuracy: This is not to imply that finding two Action #1 comics together without any other comics is impossible.  It is possible.  Although highly improbable.  Sort of like monkeys flying out of my butt.  Probably wouldn't happen.  But, if I was to develop a case of explosive diarrhea and use a turkey baster to inject live sea monkeys into my rectum, it could "technically" happen.

You win the internet tonight because I don't feel like doing this anymore.

5 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

You win the internet tonight because I don't feel like doing this anymore.

:frown:

Was it the whole "injecting sea monkeys into my rectum" thing that did it?

And you're sill my favorite hippie nerd.

3 hours ago, kav said:

I remember stumbling on a site where people were talking about action #1 and you cant believe the number of people who popped up saying wow I have this book-it's still in one of those plastic sleeve thingies-I had no idea it was worth so much!  Desperate for attention.

wait a second-- these aren't your two copies of Action #1? lol

I agree that this is attention seeking behavior and makes it very suspect.

Let's face it-- if this were any of us finding this for real, the first thing we would be doing is getting them graded and authenticated by CCS/CGC. Of course-- having them in hand would make it so much easier to tell if they were genuine to begin with.

Then the story might be told perhaps. But more likely- the story would NEVER be told and the person would keep the books or cash them in via an auction. Never telling the story would be a way to avoid all the morality police that frequently beat up on someone who gets a deal on a high value book.

Edited by 01TheDude

5 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

Let's face it-- if this were any of us finding this for real, the first thing we would be doing is ...

The operative words here are "any of us." This particular group (mostly) seem to be far better informed and have better judgment than your average collector or non-collector who comes into some comics. A sizable % of people who win the lottery eventually end up worse off because they didn't know how to manage their windfall.

That doesn't mean I believe the guy who has the books, although there is a small chance that he believes it. 

I have no idea if the copy is legitimate or not but I don't think the story is totally impossible. Think of it this way: Grandmas comic-collecting-relative dies. She's garage sailing or throwing out his possessions but recalls something about the first Superman comic being worth money so she pulls the two copies of it that she sees out and sells/trashes the rest of his/her comics. (I'm picturing her just chucking Amazing Fantasy 15 and Detective comics 27 in the trash)

Unlikely? Yes. Impossible? No. 

Seems kind of crazy to argue about it since who in their right mind is going to buy an Action 1 without it being graded first (preferably by CGC).  How would such a book be submitted to CGC?  Walk-Thru with a good chance of being a $30 sub-fee?

27 minutes ago, mrwoogieman said:

Has anyone identified which reprints we're looking at yet?

:popcorn:

The availability of the scans for every single page of Action #1 makes these as likely to be homemade as anything else. :popcorn: