• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2 copies of Action 1 on Facebook group...Are they real?
5 5

179 posts in this topic

45 minutes ago, valiantman said:

The availability of the scans for every single page of Action #1 makes these as likely to be homemade as anything else. :popcorn:

Yes these match no known reprint.  The yellow in the car fender gloss seems to be missing but that could be worn off.  The yellow is in the railing on the car and the running guy doesnt have the sweat drops.  Home made seems to be best guess.  Not that hard to do there's a guy that sells lots of GA photocopy books on ebay.  Not a scammer he just sells to people that want a facsimile of a high dollar book like phantom girl etc.

When I first read this story, the thing that stood out right away was that the finder said how he acquired the books. I thought "who in their right mind would mention that, because they are just opening themselves up for a fight over the ownership (if they were real/valuable)"

If some serviceman did originally own them, then the family could try and claim them as his effects belonged to them, or whomever owned the barn before it was abandoned would maybe try to claim them. Also the person that bought the abandoned property could say that they never intended to discard those valuable chests and the picker had misunderstood his instructions. I just find it hard to believe that the finder would mention all of these details and open himself up to losing them (once again, based on them being the real thing, which after doing a lot of reading, I am in doubt)

Those wear patterns don't look real to me at all. I'm going with fake. 

17 minutes ago, ThreeSeas said:

When I first read this story, the thing that stood out right away was that the finder said how he acquired the books. I thought "who in their right mind would mention that, because they are just opening themselves up for a fight over the ownership (if they were real/valuable)"

If some serviceman did originally own them, then the family could try and claim them as his effects belonged to them, or whomever owned the barn before it was abandoned would maybe try to claim them. Also the person that bought the abandoned property could say that they never intended to discard those valuable chests and the picker had misunderstood his instructions. I just find it hard to believe that the finder would mention all of these details and open himself up to losing them (once again, based on them being the real thing, which after doing a lot of reading, I am in doubt)

This is in addition to all the new relatives you never knew you had that would appear once the story got out that you hit the jackpot.

11 minutes ago, Mecha_Fantastic said:

The books look far too similar to me in terms of wear, color, etc. Guy who made them kept his technique a little too consistent. It'd be more believable if one were a bit more trashed than the other.

Edited by mackenzie999

1 hour ago, Mecha_Fantastic said:

It's like a pair of store bought, fake-distressed jeans. lol

On a side note, all of my jean rips are 100% authentically done by me. Naturally worn through over time. But some clubs still won't let me in with them.

Then some young lady walks in with store bought, $120 jeans that were obviously distressed at a factory and they walk right in.

So I ask why they're allowed in and I'm not when we both have ripped jeans.

The answer is obvious. They're girls. :cry:

Edited by VintageComics

4 minutes ago, kav said:

WTF is an 'ownerless barn' and who TF do you 'buy' it from???

And how did they get the right to search it to claim the property inside?

Did they just confess to a crime? lol

Someone owns the property, either that or this is the definition of the "wild" lol

One day I happened upon a strange and mystic sight! There before me lay the "ownerless" barn. It was sad and a little depressing, but the mystery that lay inside would set my heart a twitter.

8 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:
16 minutes ago, kav said:

WTF is an 'ownerless barn' and who TF do you 'buy' it from???

And how did they get the right to search it to claim the property inside?

Did they just confess to a crime? lol

Someone owns the property, either that or this is the definition of the "wild" lol

One day I happened upon a strange and mystic sight! There before me lay the "ownerless" barn. It was sad and a little depressing, but the mystery that lay inside would set my heart a twitter.

It's more like, OH hey there is a barn, let's go inside.... oh what's this I found? Hey! Did anyone loose a couple of Action Comics #1's? Welp no one responded, I guess these are mine now... wait let me take a couple of pics and post it on the interwebs  :shy:

"The Wild" - by the guy in the mugshot on the sleeve of the hard cover 

5 hours ago, kav said:

Yes these match no known reprint.  The yellow in the car fender gloss seems to be missing but that could be worn off.  The yellow is in the railing on the car and the running guy doesnt have the sweat drops.  Home made seems to be best guess.  Not that hard to do there's a guy that sells lots of GA photocopy books on ebay.  Not a scammer he just sells to people that want a facsimile of a high dollar book like phantom girl etc.

I see the sweat drops (both of them) on each copy. The fender yellow is a little hard to see in the picture so that might be a valid concern.

Just for fun-- let's assume for a moment that these copies are legit -- what grades would you give each one based on the limited information available?

I'm thinking in the 2.0 range (depends on if @thirdgreenham were submitting them though where they might get as much as a 4.0).  They also might clean up well and a good pressing couldn't hurt.

2 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

I see the sweat drops (both of them) on each copy. The fender yellow is a little hard to see in the picture so that might be a valid concern.

Just for fun-- let's assume for a moment that these copies are legit -- what grades would you give each one based on the limited information available?

I'm thinking in the 2.0 range (depends on if @thirdgreenham were submitting them though where they might get as much as a 4.0).  They also might clean up well and a good pressing couldn't hurt.

I'm not seeing the sweat drops wtf 

2 minutes ago, kav said:

I'm not seeing the sweat drops wtf 

On 8/8/2018 at 4:45 PM, Barth said:

rObdEMW.jpg

00_Action1_Cover.png.185e80b638dc71e29f3fc72a37797433.png

the cover scan of the book that went for over 3 million a few years ago in case you need to compare

@kav == I assume you are talking about the guy in the foreground with the blue coat and red dotted tie-- I see them in the authenticated one as well as the two questionable ones.

2 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

00_Action1_Cover.png.185e80b638dc71e29f3fc72a37797433.png

the cover scan of the book that went for over 3 million a few years ago in case you need to compare

@kav == I assume you are talking about the guy in the foreground with the blue coat and red dotted tie-- I see them in the authenticated one as well as the two questionable ones.

I thought there was some reprint with sweat drops on face that was a 'tell'?

I'll tell you right now
Any trick in the book now, baby, all that I can find
Everybody's hustlin' just to have a little scene
When I say we'll be cool I think that you know what I mean
We stood on a beach at sunset, do you remember when?
I know a beach where, baby, a-it never ends
When you've made your mind up forever to be mine

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I'll tell you right now
Any trick in the book now, baby, all that I can find
Everybody's hustlin' just to have a little scene
When I say we'll be cool I think that you know what I mean
We stood on a beach at sunset, do you remember when?
I know a beach where, baby, a-it never ends
When you've made your mind up forever to be mine

I'm sitting in mom's basement thinkin I need money

People pay $$$$ for action #1-that aint funny

How do I get

A piece of the 'Action'?

Needa get a scanner fore I get some traction.