• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"I can't believe you spent that much on a comic book"
4 4

91 posts in this topic

I love it when people try to criticize, and express disbelief, in a condescending tone for me spending x amount on " just a comic book."

I then have to bust out the logic and demonstrate how my purchase was way wiser than practically every non-essential purchase they have made in just the past few months (I don't have to go into detail on that aspect as I'm sure most of you have done similar).

It would be fine if it ended there. However, when these people still try to argue it based on emotion while completely ignoring my points. These people make me nerd-rage. That's all. Just needed to vent.

2s7f5eu.jpg

2 hours ago, oakman29 said:

My wife used to give me A lot of grief too, that is until I actually sold a comic to fund my daughter's wedding. She had no idea, even though I told her differently,  that I made so much profit on a single comic book.

She used to say "they are only worth what someone will give you for it".

Now she doesn't say anything.^^

nice-- what was the book you sold?

37 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

I never understood people who balk at spending a lot of money on a collectible, which often hold their value, compared to dropping huge money on car, a vacation or a ball of crack-cocaine - all of which lose their value upon purchase.

I'd argue that the value in traveling is intangible.  There is much to be gained in the way of knowledge and experiences that can't be acquired by sitting at home.  The question then becomes, what made you happier?  The memories, knowledge, and experiences from a $3000 vacation?  Or owning a book for the rest of your life (whether it is that book or a different book because you flipped for something better)?  Each person will have a different answer.

A luxury car (over an economy car) and dangerous addictions are definitely things that lose value.  Though, you could argue the luxury car for commuter purposes brings you happiness in the same way as a vacation, but I think you'd be crazy to waste $50k+ to buy such little happiness.  (NOTE: I have to establish I'm referring to luxury cars used on a daily basis to get to/from work which depreciate immediately coming off the lot.  I am not referring to hobby/collector cars like a '67 Mustang or a Mercedes Benz 300SL "Gull wing".)

For some context, it was just a $200 slab. The person I was referring to has a cigarette habit that's at least double that value monthly. 

I guess spending twice that monthly to destroy your body is acceptable, but buying something that will hold, and most likely raise, it's value is something to frown upon. 

4 hours ago, oakman29 said:

My wife used to give me A lot of grief too, that is until I actually sold a comic to fund my daughter's wedding. She had no idea, even though I told her differently,  that I made so much profit on a single comic book.

She used to say "they are only worth what someone will give you for it".

Now she doesn't say anything.^^

Pretty much this.

32 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

I'd argue that the value in traveling is intangible.  There is much to be gained in the way of knowledge and experiences that can't be acquired by sitting at home.  The question then becomes, what made you happier?  The memories, knowledge, and experiences from a $3000 vacation?  Or owning a book for the rest of your life (whether it is that book or a different book because you flipped for something better)?  Each person will have a different answer.

A luxury car (over an economy car) and dangerous addictions are definitely things that lose value.  Though, you could argue the luxury car for commuter purposes brings you happiness in the same way as a vacation, but I think you'd be crazy to waste $50k+ to buy such little happiness.  (NOTE: I have to establish I'm referring to luxury cars used on a daily basis to get to/from work which depreciate immediately coming off the lot.  I am not referring to hobby/collector cars like a '67 Mustang or a Mercedes Benz 300SL "Gull wing".)

Isn't that a little hypocritical though? I have to believe there are people who buy high dollar comics that don't view them as an investment.

99% of the "civilians" I've talked to about my collecting only care about the value...otherwise I get more of the " aren't you a little old to be collecting comic books"?

As far as the wife goes, I'm in the same boat as Vintage in that she doesn't care what I buy as long as I can take care of my end of things financially.

1 hour ago, VintageComics said:

The first expensive book I ever bought when Lou and I got together was a pretty big 5 figure book.

I walked up to her at a show and flashed it with a smile. She asked how much it cost.

I replied with the dollar amount.

Her reply? "As long as you can pay the bills and it makes you happy."

I never understood people who balk at spending a lot of money on a collectible, which often hold their value, compared to dropping huge money on car, a vacation or a ball of crack-cocaine - all of which lose their value upon purchase.

Spouses? Rejoice your husband has a comic habit and not a cocaine habit.

You got a keeper Roy. So do I. My wife is a professional antique dealer. She does high end, paintings, silver, Tiffany glass, pottery and such. She "gets it". She doesn't care either as long as it doesn't come out of the household money or I pay it back quickly. I usually don't even bother telling her what something cost. Not that I have to lie or brag, she just isn't interested in mere "collectibles".  Like Lou, she is just happy to know where I am and what I am doing and not out spending money on blow and broads...

And, if I feel the need to "brag" it is usually how little I paid rather than paying through the nose.

51 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

Isn't that a little hypocritical though? I have to believe there are people who buy high dollar comics that don't view them as an investment.

99% of the "civilians" I've talked to about my collecting only care about the value...otherwise I get more of the " aren't you a little old to be collecting comic books"?

As far as the wife goes, I'm in the same boat as Vintage in that she doesn't care what I buy as long as I can take care of my end of things financially.

Which part is hypocritical?  I'm just trying to say that there's a cost/benefit analysis that each person makes and that buying expensive comics and taking vacations both bring about positive emotions (usually) so they're not as different as VintageComics might think.  Conversely, the benefit of a luxury car if you were to rate it and measure it in some sort of happiness gained/dollar spent metric must be very low when compared to other uses of your money.  Same thing with drug habits in which the happiness gained must diminish over time while dollar spent increases (say legal/health bills).

12 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

Which part is hypocritical?  I'm just trying to say that there's a cost/benefit analysis that each person makes and that buying expensive comics and taking vacations both bring about positive emotions (usually) so they're not as different as VintageComics might think.  Conversely, the benefit of a luxury car if you were to rate it and measure it in some sort of happiness gained/dollar spent metric must be very low when compared to other uses of your money.  Same thing with drug habits in which the happiness gained must diminish over time while dollar spent increases (say legal/health bills).

I wouldn’t equate buying a nice car with buying drugs, little on the hyperbolic side no?

I’m not going to knock anyone for how they spend their money as long as they’re not hurting anyone.

3 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

I'd agree. The vacation was a bit of a reach.

But in general, my point was that 'the other half' often frown on collectibles because of the dollar amounts involved and mature collectors can generally recoup most if not all of the cost of their collectibles, which is not the case for many other types of indulgences.

1 hour ago, Logan510 said:

I wouldn’t equate buying a nice car with buying drugs, little on the hyperbolic side no?

Strictly from an economic perspective, expensive cars and drugs lose much of their value as soon as either is used.

:wink:

If someone asks me how much one of my books costs, I usually don’t say.  It’s none of their business.  As far as my girlfriend goes, she’s all about me buying what I want.  When we first got together she was a little shocked at what I was spending on a few individual books and sort of tried getting in my ear about it.  I nipped that in the bud and told her it’s my money, I can spend it on what I want.  Haven’t heard about it since and that was almost 9 years ago.  In fact, I got her collecting comics now.  She collects golden age Looney Tunes.

I merely state that I can turn around and resell the book I just bought for the same or more and the longer I keep it the more it's worth.  Then I ask if they can claim that about ANY of their purchases.  Car?  Nope.  Purse?  Nope.  Anything?  They can never come up with a single thing that is equal to my purchase in logic.  Then I smirk at them.

19 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Strictly from an economic perspective, expensive cars and drugs lose much of their value as soon as either is used.

:wink:

You can say the same thing about a fine meal, an overseas vacation or any number of things. Who's to say the market doesn't bottom out in 10 years and all the comic book "investments"  fall flat? Personally, I would rather spend 10K+ on another trip to Japan than a HG copy of Hulk 181, but I wouldn't begrudge the person who would rather have the comic 2c

55 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

You can say the same thing about a fine meal, an overseas vacation or any number of things. Who's to say the market doesn't bottom out in 10 years and all the comic book "investments"  fall flat? Personally, I would rather spend 10K+ on another trip to Japan than a HG copy of Hulk 181, but I wouldn't begrudge the person who would rather have the comic 2c

You can't say the same thing about a vacation, because your enjoyment and recollection of it continue.  A car though, is a depreciating asset.