• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"I can't believe you spent that much on a comic book"
4 4

91 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, Logan510 said:

I’m not debating that a car will be worth more after you buy it. 

I just find it a little silly that people feel the need to justify something they don’t need by citing its potential investment value, while putting down other things that people don’t need because they don’t have a monetary investment value.

If I let that rule my life i’d be eating just enough to exist, never going anywhere except to work and back and driving a Yugo. That sounds like a really boring way to go through life to me.

The discussion was about how some people are surprised that people spend a lot of money on comics, not about anyone needing to justify anything.

Those same people that balk about how much money someone might spend on comics have no problem spending similar money on themselves in other ways without batting an eye.

My point was merely that their perception is that it's a waste of money, when in fact it wasn't.

Now we're debating all sorts of other things that were never germane to the OP's post.

3 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

This entire thread is in the context of laymen thinking how collectors spend their money is stupid.

The people saying "I can't believe you spent that much on a comic book" most likely spend their own money, possibly in large quantities, on fleeting intangibles and are stupid for questioning how others spend their money. The intelligent comic collector can sell their "ridiculously valued" comic for most of, all of, or more than what they paid and then spend the money on anything else, if they wish. Being collectors, they most likely don't wish to do so, but it's still an option.

Yes.

Wife: "I can't believe you spent that much on a comic book!" as she shakes her head.

Husband (thinking only, never to be said aloud lol ) : "I can't believe you spent that much on your nails / hair / shoes / purse / botox / jewlery"

Each shakes their heads at the other.

Edited by VintageComics

1 hour ago, SteppinRazor said:

To each his own, though.  If the comics bring you joy and travel doesn't, I wish all the comics for you.

I totally agree.

23 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Yes.

Wife: "I can't believe you spent that much on a comic book!" as she shakes her head.

Husband (thinking only, never to be said aloud lol ) : "I can't believe you spent that much on your nails / hair / shoes / purse / botox / jewlery"

Each shakes their heads at the other.

Wife is doing some of those things to make herself look good for you.

Buying a comic is for you,  not for her.

Always about you.

11 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

Wife is doing some of those things to make herself look good for you.

Buying a comic is for you,  not for her.

Always about you.

Oh, I know. I was just joking around about the typical stereotype (and the odd conversation you'd hear at a booth :wink: )

On 8/12/2018 at 1:49 PM, SerialGrape said:

Funny you mention drugs.

I recently bought a comic off of a boardie for a chunk of change. It was the most I had spent on a book (until today when I spent $800 on a book from ebay on accident, but theres another thread on that...) 

For a couple minutes after I made the purchase, I had a feeling of guilt/remorse.

But then I realised up until mid last year I would easily blow a minimum of 300 every second or so weekend on a bender full of drugs, booze and bad manners, and be left with a headache and an empty wallet at the end of it all... and some good memories to be fair.

I've calmed down alot since then, and feel much better in the long run to be spending money on something I can have and enjoy that will (hopefully) retain its value.

Your mileage may vary however - but I find it easier to explain 'you spent how much on a comic book?!' Rather than 'You put how much money up your nose?!' lol

Congratulations on taking that step to get your life in order, thankfully I've never had any addictions, I've never smoked nor drank (I'm Irish) or had bad manners yet I know what you accomplished is to be commended. :golfclap::foryou:    

courage-clipart-36.jpg