• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dealers / Rinse and Repeat model
7 7

283 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, shortboxed said:

As a collector first, and occasional dealer second, I hate this practice. At nearly every show, all the "good stuff" is already picked clean by the time I walk through the doors when they open. And when I have set up at shows, all my good stuff is picked clean while I'm still setting up, then I see the book(s) on the dealer's wall for double my asking price, where it sits unsold, of course. 

As a result, now whenever I set up at shows, I DO NOT let any dealers look through my books, ask about wall books or even entertain offers. I keep the lids on the boxes and only remove them once the doors are open and attendees are let in. This may seem counter-intuitive because I'd be missing out on potential sales to other dealers, but I take a lot of pride in sourcing these books and making them available to collectors are fair prices.

How do you know the attendees aren't resellers themselves?

21 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

How do you know the attendees aren't resellers themselves?

Many of them probably are. I simply don't like having my stock depleted before the doors open and enjoy having all the books I brought available to con attendees when they arrive. I often sell online and I will pause any and all online sales in the weeks leading up to a con, just so I can have a nice selection of books for people when they attend the con.

5 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Your approach sounds good to me. At least you are trying to give the collector a shot. It's unfortunate but you seem to be taking some heat over your comments. Don't let it bother you. 

It's nice to see the "moral compass" point in the right direction once in a while...

1 minute ago, The Lions Den said:

It's nice to see the "moral compass" point in the right direction once in a while...

So my moral compass doesn't point in the right direction because I sell books before the show opens?  All of my inventory is online so there is never an "unveiling".  I give all my customers a first shot the minute those books are made available.  No need to pay an admission fee.

Edited by blazingbob

52 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

And I assume you have a huge rush of dealers (or staff of dealers) who hit your booth right at the opening and clear out all the good deals before the "collectors" have a chance to find your booth and look over your books.  It does equalize things a bit but all it does is cause a feeding frenzy at your booth with most deals being gobbled up by other dealers.  Dealers have big pockets and as long as you get your asking prices then I don't see why you make it difficult for people to spend money at your booth. 

So let's say all the collectors are hitting the door and they look around and see a feeding frenzy around one dealer.  Don't you think you would at least be intrigued?  I'd be heading straight for that dealer to see whats all the hubbub.  Nothing else, it's good opening advertising!

Why go to your booth at a con? you've already sold it to your neighbor.....

He has it now not you, it's not immoral, but when you've made those who came to the con to spend money with you pay twice as much and then come on the boards to brag about it and say stiff it noob.... SMH

Your reputation speaks...

7 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

People are wildly over-exaggerating the amount of pre-show dealing that occurs.

I guess that all depends on the show, and whether or not you have any books the other dealers want at the time.  I cited an example from a show I witnessed this weekend.

10 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

I assume this is an insider joke?  I've seen whole booths get bought out before the doors even open.  In terms of percentage of books changing hands it's probably pretty small but if you look at the percentage of under priced books that change hands before the opening it would have to be a pretty high percentage.

1 minute ago, Ryan. said:

Hulk 181s get passed around like dinner rolls at Thanksgiving.

That's what one would come to think by reading this thread lol my real question is, if it happened as much or often as stated (someone mention depletion of stock), I wonder if these are the same that say, "con's aren't what they used to be"..... 

24 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

I'd delete this post if I was you or clarify your statement.  Definetely opening a can of worms by implying other dealers don't usually have their moral compass pointing the right direction.

1 minute ago, 1Cool said:
13 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

I assume this is an insider joke?  I've seen whole booths get bought out before the doors even open.  In terms of percentage of books changing hands it's probably pretty small but if you look at the percentage of under priced books that change hands before the opening it would have to be a pretty high percentage.

Not sure if you're agreeing with me or not...

1 minute ago, Ryan. said:

Not sure if you're agreeing with me or not...

In terms of overall books at the Con then I 100% agree the number of books trading hands is very small.  But the amount of low hanging fruit being picked before the opening bell is staggering if you are lucky enough to get in the door early (of course depends on the con and what dealers are present).