• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dealers / Rinse and Repeat model
7 7

283 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Why go to your booth at a con? you've already sold it to your neighbor.....

He has it now not you, it's not immoral, but when you've made those who came to the con to spend money with you pay twice as much and then come on the boards to brag about it and say stiff it noob.... SMH

Your reputation speaks...

Who is this pointed at?  Bob?

I'm sure it has always happened....

and comic shows survive, I just notice that those who speak in this thread don't when there is a thread on con prices....

People still buy books at cons though :foryou: 

It is just hard to know now that, it has been skimmed.....

I always buy what is a comfortable price for me, as would anyone, and if dealer's knowingly sell to other dealers that will mark it up then more power to them. 

Just now, 1Cool said:
4 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

Not sure if you're agreeing with me or not...

In terms of overall books at the Con then I 100% agree the number of books trading hands is very small.  But the amount of low hanging fruit being picked before the opening bell is staggering if you are lucky enough to get in the door early (of course depends on the con and what dealers are present).

I see. There's probably some truth in that but only to the extent that there are actually many underpriced books available at a con, which isn't often the case.

Just now, 1Cool said:

Who is this pointed at?  Bob?

No, no one in particular, but it has always happened and this happened to me today...that books were skimmed before I got there.... sore spot

1 minute ago, Ryan. said:

I see. There's probably some truth in that but only to the extent that there are actually many underpriced books available at a con, which isn't often the case.

There are a ton of under priced books at pretty much every con if you happen to be the first person to get a peak at every box.  I think it was October who said a Con is usually measured by if you get to the right batch of boxes first or second. 

But stopping big dealers from buying your books is usually not a great practice since they can triple the sales you receive at a Con even before the doors open.

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

In terms of overall books at the Con then I 100% agree the number of books trading hands is very small.  But the amount of low hanging fruit being picked before the opening bell is staggering if you are lucky enough to get in the door early (of course depends on the con and what dealers are present).

It would be nice if it was only higher dollar books that you would need a trusted buyer. I can see that this has always been the way and is unlikely to change. I don't know any dealers on the boards to have engaged in this to my knowledge to my detriment. AND hey it is business.... I wrote this in a pm just today, so it is a bit of a sore spot for me, today anyway lol about a used bookstore.

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

31 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

I guess that's kind of the point. Only a small fraction of the available books trade hands, but a decent percentage of the obvious deals do. 

I'll use the last WWC I attended as an example. There were at least 15-20 guys there during setup who know most/all facets of the market well. In general (not always) they snag all of the underpriced material if they are the first person through a box. Sometimes they miss things, oftentimes they do not. The dealers who set up infrequently, but still manage to get good material, are hit hard at setup. Being the first person through the right box with the right dealer can make a show. Sure, rewards often go to the guys who dig and box dive and hunt. There is money there too. But the scarce golden age book priced at 10% of FMV? That's going to the first guy to see it. The public isn't going to get those shots often.

The times I set up at WWC or C2E2 I sold huge quantities of material that the general public never got to see. Oftentimes it was half of my booth...and this was before the first attendee stepped through the doors. 

I worked a con for the first time this weekend helping the owner of my LCS. I wanted to see what it was like from a dealer perspective so I asked if I could help out. Met early at the venue and I loaded in about 25 long boxes of books. I stayed behind  the table with him the whole day helping with customers and loaded out meeting him back at the comic shop to load the books back to into the store. He offered me $150.00 in store credit at the end of the day, I assume because he found me helpful. SInce I asked to help him for the experience of doing it and payment was never discusse, I declined his kind offer.

It was an interesting experience and I'm glad I did it. Gives me another side to look at besides being a customer. 

Edited by NoMan

2 minutes ago, Ryan. said:
8 minutes ago, Park said:

It depends on your moral weathervane.

My moral shillelagh is spinning in circles.

Makes sense as my divining rod keeps bursting into flames.

51 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

So are we happy or sad about dealers selling to dealers?

Collectors are sad because the inevitable result is rising prices unless the dealers are poor businessmen. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but it doesn't benefit collectors.

7 hours ago, joeypost said:

Not too many movies based on stamps and trains, unless you're an Agatha Christie fan. These comic book characters are now a part of Americana (and spreading outward). 

They have always been apart of 'Americana'.  Superman and Batman hit the big screen long before the MCU fired off their CGI mania. That still doesn't automatically translate to a healthy print hobby.   I see no kids in my LCS on a Wednesday during the Summer or on weekends for that matter.  Again the Mega keys will always do well, but who knows after that. 

2 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Collectors are sad because the inevitable result is rising prices unless the dealers are poor businessmen. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but it doesn't benefit collectors.

Collectors are sad. We start getting disenchanted about conventions (maybe even the hobby as a whole). We stop going to as many conventions and buy less books.

Edited by STORMSHADOW_80