• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect and ComicLink August auctions
8 8

352 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:
6 hours ago, comicjack said:
13 hours ago, Junkdrawer said:

When there is just seconds left in a Clink auction, you simply place your bid and :wishluck:. There’s likely not enough time to submit another. It’s win or go home. CC on the other hand can go on and on, back and forth for quite the duration. This can often extract more than what you were willing to bid such as that last second bid at Clink. With CC a late bid adds 3 minutes for you to squirm and say WTF why not just another bid. Wah-La the system working against you, right Jack? Something along those lines.

The words right out of my mouth win or go home on Clink or empty your wallet on CC if you want it.so bad imho  :insane: 

Yeah, with CLink you avoid being overcome with auction fever the way you can on CC -- just one more bid ... well, ok, just one more ... just one more! I really mean it this time ... the other guy can't go any higher than one more bid, can he? ....

As I said in my previous post above, I really don't care for the CL (snipe at the end) auction format because it just feels so impersonal and that it's just a one-shot bidding system with you against a computer sniping program.  :p

I much prefer the extended 3-minute bidding process with CC as it's much more of a personal contest and you are right in there hands on and in full control.  I remember bidding on some books in the Jon Berk Auction last summer and the 3 minutes gives you a lot of time to make an more informed decision as to whether you should hit that button one more time or not.  You have the time to check the CGC census, the previous Heritage sales, your Mile High catalogue, your Larson list, Overstreet, etc, and if it doesn't show up anywhere except in Overstreet and less than a handful in the CGC census, I am much more tempted to hit that button just one more time.  hm  (thumbsu

Ok, I also like the thrill and excitement of being right in there and after awhile, you just know that it's only you and this one other crazy bidder left.  :slapfight:

My guess is that given the same book, same grade, same slabbing company, being auctioned at roughly the same time, the purchase price will be +/- 10% between CL vs. CC (and probably also HA?). There will always be outliers when 2+ crazed bidders want the same book, and anything can happen with a rare book, but in general it doesn't seem like one of the two auction houses consistently reaps a much larger profit than the other, for a given book. If so, the auction house on the short end of the stick would probably change their auction format.

9 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I remember bidding on some books in the Jon Berk Auction last summer and the 3 minutes gives you a lot of time to make an more informed decision as to whether you should hit that button one more time or not.

I won the Berk Detective 29 and the only thing that went through my mind during extended bidding was when was the :censored: bidding against me ever gonna stop.

Edited by Gotham Kid

5 hours ago, MustEatBrains said:

Only one book I'm going to try to snipe on the CL auction.  Still betting I'll pay through the nose for it.

Make sure you post the books title here just to make sure. 

We’d hate for you to be disappointed and actually pay less...:devil:

13 minutes ago, N e r V said:
5 hours ago, MustEatBrains said:

Only one book I'm going to try to snipe on the CL auction.  Still betting I'll pay through the nose for it.

Make sure you post the books title here just to make sure. 

We’d hate for you to be disappointed and actually pay less...:devil:

lol

2 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:
2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I remember bidding on some books in the Jon Berk Auction last summer and the 3 minutes gives you a lot of time to make an more informed decision as to whether you should hit that button one more time or not.

I won the Berk Detective 29 and the only thing that went through my mind during extended bidding was when was the :censored: bidding against me ever gonna stop.

Congrats again and well done on picking up what I know is a sure fire grail for you.  :applause:

In terms of the Berk Auction, I wasn't really going after one particular book per se.  As a result, I found the continual 3-minute extended time periods to be quite useful as I was going between multiple lots when it came to the HTF titles like the Centaur Star Comics and early Keen Detective Funnies or some of the later Fox Wonderworld titles.  (thumbsu

5 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Yeah, with CLink you avoid being overcome with auction fever the way you can on CC -- just one more bid ... well, ok, just one more ... just one more! I really mean it this time ... the other guy can't go any higher than one more bid, can he? ....

I was watching the Mile high Spitfire 133 i think it lasted 45 minutes and it cost the buyer another 9k such a bargain lol

17 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

fyi, this copy was bought raw :nyah: from SDCC and remained in a Vancouver, BC collection for over 25 years.

Allan;

Double congrats on being astute enough to pick up this copy of BB 105 down in SDCC and also on your pending big dollar sale of this book in the CL Auction.  :baiting:

Now, let's see......who else in Vancouver would have picked up this book here?   Hmmmmm...............:

Can't be Magik because the book would have been auctioned off through Heritage and he never would have let those inexperienced newbie overgraders at CGC touch the book in the first place since they can't grade a book if their life depended on it.  lol   Can't be Greggy since he is much more into uber HG BA DC's, although they might have caught him at a weak point due to how nice this copy was. (shrug)  Wondered if it could have been Chris Bell after he offloaded the Vancouver pedigree collection which he was able to find a couple of decades ago?  hm

Maybe you should give us a hint now that you've made me so curious that I can't sleep and starting to pull my hair out.  :pullhair:  lol

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Allan;

Double congrats on being astute enough to pick up this copy of BB 105 down in SDCC and also on your pending big dollar sale of this book in the CL Auction.  :baiting:

Now, let's see......who else in Vancouver would have picked up this book here?   Hmmmmm...............:

Can't be Magik because the book would have been auctioned off through Heritage and he never would have let those inexperienced newbie overgraders at CGC touch the book in the first place since they can't grade a book if their life depended on it.  lol   Can't be Greggy since he is much more into uber HG BA DC's, although they might have caught him at a weak point due to how nice this copy was. (shrug)  Wondered if it could have been Chris Bell after he offloaded the Vancouver pedigree collection which he was able to find a couple of decades ago?  hm

Maybe you should give us a hint now that you've made me so curious that I can't sleep and starting to pull my hair out.  :pullhair:  lol

So now at least we know you still have hair!  :kidaround:

On 8/16/2018 at 6:13 PM, Gotham Kid said:
On 8/16/2018 at 12:41 PM, lou_fine said:

I don't like the idea of having to blindly throw in high bids at the end hoping to win a book.

I don't dislike CL's auction format. I set my max offer that I'm willing to pay and let it ride. If I win great if I lose there will one day be a next.

Different strokes for different folks..........since I don't really care for CL's snipe enticing end of auction format, I usually set my bottom feeding offer and just let it ride. :wishluck:

And unless something really special shows up, this bottom feeder threshold level is usually around the $100 mark.  No wonder why I normally end up winning only crapola books from CL.  :facepalm:

Edited by lou_fine

On 8/16/2018 at 10:44 AM, miraclemet said:

Yeah that Blue Bolt #105 snapped my head back last night. Amazing copy, and already at $15k, so there's definitely a few bidders who are in it to win it. It's probably not gonna move much more until the last few minutes (unless there's some testing to see what maxes have been put in), but man is that gonna be a tense game of "who blinks first" in the last few minutes and Im sure the price will sky rocket. 

cant wait to watch. 

I'm wondering why CLINK didn't bother to separate out the auction into their usual sections? Spreading the ages across all three days (a'la ComicConnect) as opposed to a GA day, a SA/BA day and a Copper/Modern/Other day...  Was not thrilled that I had to go thru 31 pages of listing to see the GA books interspersed with Spidey, FF and so on...

I wonder if they have better results one way vs the other.... 

One thing I don't like about the CLink featured auction format is that books from different eras are mixed together. I have little interest in anything other than GA, yet if I want to follow the CLink auction live, I have to spend time looking at SA, BA, etc.

Edited by jimbo_7071

8 hours ago, jimbo_7071 said:

One thing I don't like about the CLink featured auction format is that books from different eras are mixed together. I have little interest in anything other than GA, yet if I want to follow the CLink auction live, I have to spend time looking at SA, BA, etc.

I agree with this completely.  

The process of even seeing what is in any given auction on both of these sites is awful compared to HA filtering system. I really wish both of these sites would improve their search features. 

21 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

My guess is that given the same book, same grade, same slabbing company, being auctioned at roughly the same time, the purchase price will be +/- 10% between CL vs. CC (and probably also HA?). There will always be outliers when 2+ crazed bidders want the same book, and anything can happen with a rare book, but in general it doesn't seem like one of the two auction houses consistently reaps a much larger profit than the other, for a given book. If so, the auction house on the short end of the stick would probably change their auction format.

You would think so.  We've all seen CLink prices occasionally take a huge jump at the end.  That's probably the result of two (or more) bidders sniping in what @jimjum12 once labeled atomic bomb bids.  It's certainly possible that in those cases the book would actually have sold for less if it had been auctioned on CC or HA because one of the bidders might have dropped out as the price rose increment by increment.

Although the CC and HA systems would seem to be better for sellers, that can't be consistently true or CLink's consignments would dry up. 

5 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Although the CC and HA systems would seem to be better for sellers, that can't be consistently true or CLink's consignments would dry up. 

We're forgetting CL is no different than eBay and how long and how well have they done ?

Edited by Gotham Kid

11 hours ago, jimbo_7071 said:

Yeah, I usually set a timer for the close of books I'm interested in.  That way I can be doing other things rather than waiting through closes of auctions I don't care about.  One of the drawbacks of Heritage is that there's no way to tell when a particular book will close.  Particularly with the Sunday night auctions, there's no way I'm willing to devote the hours necessary to bid live.  So, I usually put in my proxy bids and wait until the morning to see what, if anything, I've won.

With Hake's, it's even easier.  I've never been able to figure out their system of closing auctions, so I just throw in some bids a day or two ahead and forget about it. 

Just now, Gotham Kid said:
5 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

We're forgetting CL is no different from eBay and how long and how well have they done ?

That's a good point, although it seems as if a lot of comic sellers on eBay have migrated to BINs.  

2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

That's a good point, although it seems as if a lot of comic sellers on eBay have migrated to BINs.  

Selling on eBay is very unpredictable with usually bad results for books that are accurately graded in my experience. If you throw up a VG book and hide the defects and call it F/VF you can do great on eBay... until the returns start rolling in. 

I wonder what percentage of extremely high eBay raw auctions result in returns.  (shrug)

On 8/18/2018 at 10:32 AM, Sqeggs said:

You would think so.  We've all seen CLink prices occasionally take a huge jump at the end.  That's probably the result of two (or more) bidders sniping in what @jimjum12 once labeled atomic bomb bids.  It's certainly possible that in those cases the book would actually have sold for less if it had been auctioned on CC or HA because one of the bidders might have dropped out as the price rose increment by increment.

True. I missed out on a least HA book because of their format. I think they estimated that they would get through 80-120 items an hour (or something like that). I logged in based on that estimate, and even though I had a significant cushion (just in case they went a little fast), the item that I was interested in had already closed. I'm guessing they must have burned through 150 or more items per hour in that particular auction. My numbers might be off, but you get the idea.

2 hours ago, jimbo_7071 said:

True. I missed out on a least HA book because of their format. I think they estimated that they would get through 80-120 items an hour (or something like that). I logged in based on that estimate, and even though I had a significant cushion (just in case they went a little fast), the item that I was interested in had already closed. I'm guessing they must have burned through 150 or more items per hour in that particular auction. My numbers might be off, but you get the idea.

Yes, it's tough to judge with HA because they can have a few books that attract many live bids, slowing the auction to a crawl.  Then they fly through a bunch of books when there's no live bidding.