• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any good (one-day) shows in New England?

4 posts in this topic

Way back in the dark ages of the 1990's, I used to sell at shows in New England and New York (NYC and Albany) on a regular basis. You know, the "olden days" when hardly anybody dressed up, and most shows were one-day shows.

I'm not looking at getting back into it regularly, but I'd like to very occasionally set up at shows again.  By very occasionally, I'm thinking perhaps once a year.  Last year, I had a blast setting up at the Brass City Comic Con in Waterbury, CT, The year before, I enjoyed Bing Con in Springfield, MA. Sometime this fall or next spring, I'd like to do another show. 

One constraint is that family time is my top priority, so I'm not willing to do a multi-day event.  It can be a Saturday or a Sunday, but not both.  I'd love to do a show in Boston, but the ones I have found seem to be multi-day events.  I'd be selling GA through Bronze, with a smattering of modern books, but nothing any newer than, say, 1999.  Anybody got any recommendations for shows I might want to try?  I think I already have my next one picked out, but I'm curious as to whether I'm missing a good one.

And while I'm at it, what's the best show for buying GA between NYC and Boston?  If I decide to save up a bit and hit one of the bigger, multi-day shows as just a customer, is there one in NYC/Providence/Hartford/Boston that beats the others in terms of the quantity and quality of GA books?

On the smaller side, but perhaps in your area, there is a show in East Windsor, CT that is twice a year. It's not a "Con" as everything wants to be now...but instead its almost entirely comics. It's at the Golden Gavel auction house. I think it is a nice convention but it may not be as big as your are looking for.

2 hours ago, PeterPark said:

On the smaller side, but perhaps in your area, there is a show in East Windsor, CT that is twice a year. It's not a "Con" as everything wants to be now...but instead its almost entirely comics. It's at the Golden Gavel auction house. I think it is a nice convention but it may not be as big as your are looking for.

Thanks.  That one appeals to me for a few reasons.  It's co-run by a really good guy I know from the "olden days", it's an actual COMIC show, and it's really convenient to where I am in western Massachusetts.  I would have set up there last year, but I had a conflict with the fall show.  Hopefully our schedules will work out and I can set up at one of the upcoming shows. 

There is unfortunately no monthly, bi-monthly or quarterly 1-day show in metro Boston and hasn’t been for some time. The original one that had gone on for years and years was run into the ground about 2008-09 or so. (I could be off). Larry’s Comics eventually started a new monthly show in Woburn that was small but fantastic, just dealers and comics. That ran for a while but eventually he couldn’t do it anymore.

Chris’ Comics in NH ran a 1 day show in May; another is coming up in September.

http://www.chriscardscomics.com/Events.html

They used to run a regular show in NH years ago before losing the venue. Hopefully they’ll be able to keep this new one afloat.

Little Giant ran a 1 day show in NH this past spring. There’s supposed to be another next spring.

http://littlegiantcomics.com/old-school-comic-show.html

I didn’t walk out with much, but there were a lot of dealers.

Harry Martin runs a 1-day show in Franklin. Not quite monthly but almost. Its a smaller show and can be hit or miss.

http://mymummy.com/shows_conventions.html

Gary Sohmers runs the Northeast Comic Con. Pontoon says Bleh. I’ve been to several. Location has moved several times. Limited amount of dealers and high admission.

Theres’s the Plastic City Con. I gave it a shot this year. It was meh. It’s a comic-centric show but they really need more dealers.

http://www.plasticcitycomiccon.com/

Rubber Chicken ran a show in Uxbridge in June, I couldn’t make it, but they’re good guys.

https://www.facebook.com/events/214757542416931/

Best for buying GA? My guess is the Reed show in NY, can’t imagine it would’t beat any of the New England shows hands down. Between Providence/Hartford/Boston I’d say Boston, and I’m not a huge fan of the show it has turned into. It’s a celeb-driven pop culture event now where the ratio of tchotchke sellers far outnumbers comic dealers. However, for GA books you usually get Superworld, Harley Yee and James Payette. It’s the one show a year he sets up at. (Though it was actually his second this year; he also set up at the Little Giant show.)

I’ve never been to Terrificon which is this weekend; I have a feeling it’s a good show. I’ve also never made it to the Windsor show, it’s a bit of a haul for me as I'm north of Boston.