• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aaarrghh....I knew it was coming
4 4

41 posts in this topic

10.25% here in Illinois :p. Can anyone beat that?

I was reviewing my last invoice and noticed I was taxed on the shipping as well. I thought shipping was tax exempt but after some research I found out it's pretty complicated in Illinois.:frustrated: The text below is from 2015 so it may be a little different now. If so, it's probably worse.:censored::tonofbricks:

Illinois
The taxability of shipping in Illinois depends heavily on factors that you, as a consumer, are unlikely to be privy to. For example, if a retailer charges a flat $7.99 shipping fee, but their actual shipping costs for your order are less than that, say $5.50, then the shipping fee is taxable. Which, let's face it is a pretty raw deal for us as consumers since not only are you being charged more than the actual cost of shipping, you're getting hit with a tax on that overcharge on top of it.

What's more, just because shipping is a separate line item on your invoice doesn't mean it's not an inseparable part of the item's cost. If shipping it to you is the only way for you to get it, then Illinois figures the shipping cost is part of the selling price, no matter how the invoice breaks it down.

Finally, there is some thought that sellers may not have to charge sales tax if they offer an in-store pickup option.

"Finally, there is some thought that sellers may not have to charge sales tax if they offer an in-store pickup option." 

4 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I pick my books up at Heritage but they proudly charge me sales tax every time

That part was also related to shipping. Apparently if you're given the option to pick up but you  have it shipped instead, you dont get taxed for shipping. If they don't have a pick up option, shipping is taxed. Only in Illinois :screwy:

Massachusetts sales tax laws are very well known. No tax on food or drinks at shopping marts or convenient stores. No tax on clothing. No tax on books or periodicals. 

Tax applied to comic books from HA to Massachusetts I think is wrong

walden books and Barnes and Noble don’t charge sales tax on books or periodicals 

2FFD004B-7D20-4488-9842-180A92F78581.jpeg

Edited by Junkdrawer

Interesting to know that the USPS ( gov agy) says no media mail for comic books as they have ads in them and are considered magazines. Ok now it’s sales tax time are we still good calling the comic books magazines? Are they not monthly periodicals? 

16 minutes ago, namisgr said:

As collectibles, vintage comic books have the potential to be a different category than new comics or other periodicals.

I’m pretty sure if you lose a valuable book in the mail, graded or not, the USPS will not accept its FMV or honor GPS values. An original receipt is what I was told. That’s hard to produce and a mute point if it don’t resemble the value. What  it was and what it is should not change but in terms of value I guess it does. It’s still bound printed matter

Edited by Junkdrawer

6 minutes ago, Junkdrawer said:

I’m pretty sure if you lose a valuable book in the mail, graded or not, the USPS will not accept its FMV or honor GPS values. An original receipt is what I was told. That’s hard to produce and a mute point if it don’t resemble the value. What  it was and what it is should not change but in terms of value I guess it does. It’s still bound printed matter

I have no idea what that has to do with state taxes on the buying of collectibles.

Edited by namisgr

Since I started this thread and have been reading folks' thoughts, I have thought about the tax exempt idea as I do plan on starting to liquidate some of my collection.  Many years ago, I had a tax exempt number as I did woodworking on the side so I am familiar with how it works and how to report to IRS (at least I did then).  

I called HA and outside of giving them your IRS tax exempt form, there is a HA  Resale Certificate Form you complete and provide.  However, you cannot pay with a CC or Paypal after your account is updated.  I have used PP so kind of a pain since the other forms of payment take longer except wire transfer I believe. 

I do wonder what if you are buying something not for resale but for your personal collection, do you let HA know and they charge tax?  I realize I shouldn't worry about it as eventually it may be sold and is considered part of my inventory but just curious.

21 hours ago, Junkdrawer said:

Ok here we go right off the mass.gov website. Can it be any more clear????

Exempt: Comic :censored:Books

A39FC72E-9D5D-4CDC-BEA9-DC1CA4FA1D6B.png

If we worship our books, I think we're in. hm

On 8/25/2018 at 8:55 PM, entalmighty1 said:

9.75% in the great state of Tennessee.  I don't know how I'm supposed to win books if I have to chop my bids by 10% every auction.  Another resource down the drain. :sumo: 

Got an email from Heritage last night stating that Tennessee has now informed them that they will NOT be collecting sales tax for their auctions in certain categories (including comic books).  Heritage did say that this may change (and I’ll say it will change when the legislature reconvenes), but at least for now HA is not collecting sales tax from Tennesseans.

33 minutes ago, walclark said:

Got an email from Heritage last night stating that Tennessee has now informed them that they will NOT be collecting sales tax for their auctions in certain categories (including comic books).  Heritage did say that this may change (and I’ll say it will change when the legislature reconvenes), but at least for now HA is not collecting sales tax from Tennesseans.

Was this a canned email to the unwashed masses, or just to distinguished bidders that spend more than the average bear?

I received no such email.

3 hours ago, entalmighty1 said:

Was this a canned email to the unwashed masses, or just to distinguished bidders that spend more than the average bear?

I received no such email.

I think it was a generic email.  It was addressed to me, but I’m small potatoes to HA.  However, I do shower daily, so perhaps I don’t fall among the unwashed masses. :wishluck:

Edited by walclark

Has anyone seen an announcement from Metropolis or Comicconnect about starting to charge sales tax? I know Heritage and Comiclink both sent out emails but I never saw anything from those guys. Maybe I missed it. I don't see it stated anywhere on either website.

I was just charged tax for a Comicconnect purchase (I'm in Illinois). My initial invoice did not show the tax but when my card got charged it was added. :mad: I assumed it was coming but did not expect it with this purchase.

On 8/28/2018 at 11:43 AM, Sqeggs said:

If we worship our books, I think we're in. hm

You're onto something here.  A Church of Comics is in order.  Don't religious organizations have all kinds of exemptions?