• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shipping charges !! Wow !!

19 posts in this topic

I haven't shipped any books in a few years, but have some books Id like to put up in a sales thread and when I went to the PO to check out their supplies I saw that a 

MEDIUM FLAT RATE BOX is $13.65 !!  :whatthe:

Is that what you all been dealing with ??  Is there a better way ?  

The pluses of flat rate box for me are ease of packing and lots of protection.  

If the books were super high dollar books I'd offer free shipping, but they are not.  

Edited by Senormac

1 minute ago, Senormac said:

I haven't shipped any books in a few years, but have some books Id like to put up in a sales thread and when I went to the PO to check out their supplies I saw that a 

I hate to ask...what did it used to be?  Shipping books/slabs with room for plenty of protection, plus tracking number, plus insurance for $15 sounds reasonable to me, but I guess that's all I've ever known.  If I'm shipping 1 or 2 floppies, i can fit them and cardboard in a large sized envelope for $5 (which again seems reasonable to me).

1 hour ago, Senormac said:

If the books were super high dollar books I'd offer free shipping, but they are not.  

Yep. Save about .80 doing it online, but that's about it.

4 minutes ago, Senormac said:

I'm not selling or shipping any slabs.  Just raws

Even better. You can use the 1092 boxes, too. But the 1095 boxes work. It only gets more expensive than the flat rate at 3 lbs and up for Zone 8 (and varies all the way down to Zone 1, which is essentially cross town.)

8 hours ago, tv horror said:

You should be so lucky I found a book I always wanted last night on Ebay and the postage was $70 to the U.K twice the price of the book. 

Maaan, international shipping is rough.

I grabbed some books the other week from the US and by the time shipping and import charges to Australia were factored in it was an extra 80ish as well.

Things is rough for us overseas collectors. Import charges kill my soul.

Edited by SerialGrape
Profanity was filtered :/

6 hours ago, Senormac said:

I'm not selling or shipping any slabs.  Just raws

Then don't use the flat rate service, unless you're shipping a lot of raws and the weight would make it cost effective.

3 hours ago, tv horror said:

It was better with these guys.:bigsmile:

images.jpg

Can you imagine the panicked threads here in CG? "The seller sent it pony express six months ago and it still hasn't arrived yet. I WANT MY MONEY BACK!!"

And no one wants to get that dreaded telegraph message from them saying, "We regret to inform you that your package was lost somewhere in the Nevada-Nebraska area due to any one or more of the following reasons
Tornado
Bandits
Indians
Flood
Buffalo Stampede
Blizzard
Avalanche
PE Rider Died
PE Rider decided he had enough of this and quit

1 hour ago, Jerkfro said:

Can you imagine the panicked threads here in CG? "The seller sent it pony express six months ago and it still hasn't arrived yet. I WANT MY MONEY BACK!!"

And no one wants to get that dreaded telegraph message from them saying, "We regret to inform you that your package was lost somewhere in the Nevada-Nebraska area due to any one or more of the following reasons
Tornado
Bandits
Indians
Flood
Buffalo Stampede
Blizzard
Avalanche
PE Rider Died

Think of all the instances of Shaken Comic Syndrome!  :grin:

1092's..... 

1095's.....

1097's....

medium flat rate..... 

all with measurements close to each other.  

I'm shipping GA books in mylars.  Medium flat rate still seems to me to be the easiest with the most services attached and offering the most protection, with the least hassle. 

I guess it is what it is.  

I used to individually wrap each package and then have them weighed.  Sometimes I ate a bit of the cost by missing the weight with multiple books.

I couldn't even find a dependable Pony Express rider.  They were all in the saloon !!  :sumo: 

Edited by Senormac

12 minutes ago, paperheart said:

regional A boxes work for raw books.  max anywhere in US is $10.80

Yeah, was just gonna chime in for Region A boxes. They're swell. I'm also a big fan of the 1092/1095 combo for larger shipments. The Med FRB (shoebox style, not the shirt box style) is great for large lots of cheap raws. 

1 hour ago, Jerkfro said:

Tornado
Bandits
Indians
Flood
Buffalo Stampede
Blizzard
Avalanche
PE Rider Died

At least they got through!:bigsmile:

images.jpg

2 hours ago, Jerkfro said:

Tornado
Bandits
Indians
Flood
Buffalo Stampede
Blizzard
Avalanche
PE Rider Died

has the "service" really improved at all since those times? Not really...

1 hour ago, Senormac said:

1092's..... 

1095's.....

1097's....

medium flat rate..... 

all with measurements close to each other.  

I'm shipping GA books in mylars.  Medium flat rate still seems to me to be the easiest with the most services attached and offering the most protection, with the least hassle. 

I guess it is what it is.  

I used to individually wrap each package and then have them weighed.  Sometimes I ate a bit of the cost by missing the weight with multiple books.

I couldn't even find a dependable Pony Express rider.  They were all in the saloon !!  :sumo: 

your price is CHEAP compared to what it costs up here.