• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Blue Bolt #105 Discussion deserving of it's own Thread
3 3

151 posts in this topic

Some have asked if there has been an LB Cole favorite cover poll yet and I don't think so - mainly because of all the great covers you guys have been posting!  You could nominate a dozen or so of the BB run plus the Ghostly Weird Tales (at least 122), Mask 1 & 2, Suspense 8, STT 11, and that's not getting into the romance, sci-fi, or any other genre covers he's done.  If we did one, I think we could just do a horror one.  Or maybe a horror / sci-fi one as many people dig those 2 the most.  Then do a romance one and then an adventure / crime one.  

Thoughts???

12 minutes ago, pmpknface said:

Some have asked if there has been an LB Cole favorite cover poll yet and I don't think so - mainly because of all the great covers you guys have been posting!  You could nominate a dozen or so of the BB run plus the Ghostly Weird Tales (at least 122), Mask 1 & 2, Suspense 8, STT 11, and that's not getting into the romance, sci-fi, or any other genre covers he's done.  If we did one, I think we could just do a horror one.  Or maybe a horror / sci-fi one as many people dig those 2 the most.  Then do a romance one and then an adventure / crime one.  

Thoughts???

I think that's a great idea. Separate by genre (because each has its classics) then maybe take the top picks from each and do an ultimate best cover poll! :idea:

16 minutes ago, pmpknface said:

Thoughts???

I believe there was a similar poll for Alex Schomburg and everything was thrown into one bucket, think Jayman's idea is good too but I would start with the ultimate bestest cover poll and disaggregate from there.

Cole Sci-Fi. :cloud9:

Cole_captainaero26.jpg.08467974aa9c7f39a9857b68fce34012.jpg

So here's what I can come up with pretty easily:

• Blue Bolt 104 - 119 (minus the 109, of course)
  • Mask 1 & 2
  • Ghostly Weird 122
  • Suspense Comics 8, 9, 11
  • Startling Terror Tales 5, 10, 11, 12
  • Captain Aero 26
  • Captain Flight 11
  • Catman 28 - 32
  • Thrilling Crime Cases 49
  • Popular Teen-Agers 11 & 15
  • Terrifying Tales 11-13
  • Terrors of the Jungle 18 & 20
  • Shocking Mystery Cases 51 

Anyone got any others that you'd like to nominate?  There's no war covers in there and only 2 romance ones.  Also, feel free to say if we should remove some.  For example I have both eyeball covers up there, if we think one is already better than the other.  I'll flip through the Cole book later.  We can also still debate the genre thing too.  

Discuss....   :popcorn:

10 hours ago, AuthorJamesMichaelRice said:

Congrats on the 112. I consider it the cousin of #119, another favorite. I almost made a run at it, but I have a nice looking raw copy to look at for now. 

I hope you’re right in supposing tight-fisted collectors will take advantage of the market, because I still feel like Cole’s reputation (and prices) will only grow, and I think people are realizing the beauty and scarcity of once-ignored books and have become obsessed with “the hunt” instead of following the overwhelming majority of superhero appearances, second appearances, costume changes, and so on, of which there are hundreds of thousands of copies for anyone to own.

Man those colors are like neon!  

17 hours ago, drbanner said:

I agree with Suspense 8, don't think there's ever been a poll to rank Cole's covers?

I love BB 105, but the vertical title/text bar on the spine mucks it up, esp compared to the clean layout of Suspense 8. Maybe more like this?

bolt105mockup.jpg.02de5f159d5e9ac9ae4fe417041a692d.jpg

The editors of the Australian version were thinking the same way!
But they dropped the green woman too... so not sure it's a net positive.  hm

BB.thumb.jpg.575cebce2185d3b0ad3f1759cce3e6b7.jpg.e2631d4fa25f77184fc86a6b773d4811.jpg

55 minutes ago, Point Five said:

BB.thumb.jpg.575cebce2185d3b0ad3f1759cce3e6b7.jpg.e2631d4fa25f77184fc86a6b773d4811.jpg

I don't even think they used LB Cole's art.  This looks like a recreation.  A lot of changes if you really look.  Still cool for sure.

2 hours ago, Point Five said:

Most definitely not.  :eek:

Now, if they had kept the green woman and simply dropped her bikini-like outfit, then that would have been a net positive.  (thumbsu  :bigsmile:

34 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Most definitely not.  :eek:

Now, if they had kept the green woman and simply dropped her bikini-like outfit, then that would have been a net positive.  (thumbsu  :bigsmile:

I'm greedy.  I still want one.  :D

7 hours ago, entalmighty1 said:

All of your Spokane copies are completely mind blowing. (worship) 

Breathtaking. It’s too bad that there was not a Spokane of BB105. I would love to see what the Church copy of BB105 looks like. And wonder if it would break the 37.5k record even if it technically graded lower. hm

Edited by bounty_coder

A shock to see such a book brought to light. Many with hopes and dreams to bid and win it, but like many a rarity, with its initial thunderous sales, the chances of this book selling for a profit anytime soon, IMO is slim to none. And not to knock it in any way by all means, but it’s true value would be it’s next time out if in fact it happens. You see it with OA quite a bit, the Startling49 Cgc 9.6 comes to mind as well. Greatness and uniqueness first time out the gate is a costly mistake to yet to be realized.