• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

See through covers
1 1

15 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, dcampbell07 said:

I have been noticing a lot of high graded books where you can see through the cover slightly.  How should that affect the price when placing a bid?

I know what you mean, I've seen those occasionally as well.  I hope someone corrects me if I am wrong but I think that has something to do with the book being pressed and cleaned.  Completely okay by CGC who run their own pressing service.  So it just comes down to personal taste.  Some people are looking for white pages while others don't care.  Some want a perfectly centered book & others just tap it to get it back in place.  You get it.

Anyways, I doubt many sellers will be willing to lower the price that much due to the issue you're describing.

Edited by Sky1

2 minutes ago, Sky1 said:

I know what you mean, I've seen those occasionally as well.  I hope someone corrects me if I am wrong but I think that has something to do with the book being pressed and cleaned.  Completely okay by CGC who run their own pressing service.  So it just comes down to personal taste.  Some people are looking for white pages while others don't care.  Some want a perfectly centered book & others just tap it to get it back in place.  You get it.

Anyways, I doubt many sellers will be willing to lower the price that much due to the issue you're describing.

Thanks!  Your point about pressing/cleaning is interesting.  

It sounds like you are talking about ink bleed through - where the image directly "below" the cover is bleeding through the cover. It is prevalent and noticeable on many white and other very light colored covers. This is not in anyway related to pressing or cleaning, although I could certainly see poor pressing involving over-hydration exacerbating the problem. My experience is that severe bleed through can/could affect the grade, but not in any consistently predictable fashion.

53 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

It sounds like you are talking about ink bleed through - where the image directly "below" the cover is bleeding through the cover. It is prevalent and noticeable on many white and other very light colored covers. This is not in anyway related to pressing or cleaning, although I could certainly see poor pressing involving over-hydration exacerbating the problem. My experience is that severe bleed through can/could affect the grade, but not in any consistently predictable fashion.

I've always considered it to be: that it is such high grade that the cover is so clean that you can see the first page through the cover. As it mostly happens on "higher grade" copies, I always took it as preferred. That the inside pages are of such quality that the slab holding the book together and in certain light, you can see the white pages through the cover.....

I wouldn't consider this bleed through.... ??? is that the term for it though? because I'm not talking about "color" I mean the page quality itself... that in contrast to the ink on the page, that both the ink on the first page and the page itself you can see through the cover in certain light....

Edited by ADAMANTIUM
"this"--bleed through?

16 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I've always considered it to be: that it is such high grade that the cover is so clean that you can see the first page through the cover. As it mostly happens on "higher grade" copies, I always took it as preferred. That the inside pages are of such quality that the slab holding the book together and in certain light, you can see the white pages through the cover.....

I wouldn't consider this bleed through.... ??? is that the term for it though? because I'm not talking about "color" I mean the page quality itself... that in contrast to the ink on the page, that both the ink on the first page and the page itself you can see through the cover in certain light....

Now that you put it that way, I have noticed that on some very high grade examples of Silver Age books - again usually with very light colored covers. I do know what that effect that you are describing looks like. 

To the OP, if that is what you are describing, there is never any negative effect on grade as a result of that effect. My TTA 59 was like that. Thanks for posting ADAMANTIUM. I didn't mean to muddy the waters.

3 hours ago, seanfingh said:

Now that you put it that way, I have noticed that on some very high grade examples of Silver Age books - again usually with very light colored covers. I do know what that effect that you are describing looks like. 

To the OP, if that is what you are describing, there is never any negative effect on grade as a result of that effect. My TTA 59 was like that. Thanks for posting ADAMANTIUM. I didn't mean to muddy the waters.

Personally I would want a book that you can not see through, so I would think it would decrease the value. Besides the obvious that it distracts you from the art of the cover/book itself and if the ultra clean theory is correct I would think that that cleaning weakens the integrity of the book itself. Think of it like going from a 1000 thread count bed sheet to a piece of thin white linen that you can see through...

12 minutes ago, dcampbell07 said:

Personally I would want a book that you can not see through, so I would think it would decrease the value. Besides the obvious that it distracts you from the art of the cover/book itself and if the ultra clean theory is correct I would think that that cleaning weakens the integrity of the book itself. Think of it like going from a 1000 thread count bed sheet to a piece of thin white linen that you can see through...

Dranzer likes a see-thru sheet...

14 minutes ago, dcampbell07 said:

I am not talking about a book that has been "cleaned" and I don't think Adamantium is either.  It is important for clarity's sake to understand that.  I am talking about books that because of their extreme high grade and beautiful preservation have the effect of being partially see through. The pressing and cleaning thing is a complete red herring. 

5 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

I am not talking about a book that has been "cleaned" and I don't think Adamantium is either.  It is important for clarity's sake to understand that.  I am talking about books that because of their extreme high grade and beautiful preservation have the effect of being partially see through. The pressing and cleaning thing is a complete red herring. 

Rodger. That was just my personal opinion if I had a choice between two 9.8 books. One being see through the other not being see through. I started this thread to see if that was a general consensus...

9 hours ago, seanfingh said:

The pressing and cleaning thing is a complete red herring. 

Hey!  I may be wrong but I certainly didn't mean to mislead, lol.  Just what I was told.

Makes logical sense when you think about the cleaning/pressing process.  Adamantium's point makes sense too, a book being preserved well enough to be ultra clean.

But the consensus seems to be that it's okay and just comes down to personal preference.  I personally don't care either way as long as CGC is okay with it (especially if the naturally clean theory is true), they're the experts at grading, lol.

13 hours ago, seanfingh said:

Exactly, I used to own a SA 9.8 Iron Man #1 and I could see the inside through the white lettering of IRON MAN. I always thought it was cool how clean that cover was.