• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Hulk 181

12 posts in this topic

Ouch, that big red stain on the top front cover on an otherwise nice book is just painful.  Unfortunately, grading is very unforgiving for large stains/soiling/water damage.  There's also minor foxing on the upper back cover just to be complete, but the stain is really the defining defect.  Does the stain affect interior pages or just front cover?  If it affects interior pages, the grade could take another 0.5 hit.

20 hours ago, davet75 said:

Ouch, that big red stain on the top front cover on an otherwise nice book is just painful.  Unfortunately, grading is very unforgiving for large stains/soiling/water damage.  There's also minor foxing on the upper back cover just to be complete, but the stain is really the defining defect.  Does the stain affect interior pages or just front cover?  If it affects interior pages, the grade could take another 0.5 hit.

That stain I believe is distributor ink. I don't think it effects the grade at all.

9.0 is my thinking. Beautiful book!

1 minute ago, Dan82 said:

That stain I believe is distributor ink. I don't think it effects the grade at all.

9.0 is my thinking. Beautiful book!

usually you can see distributor ink that heavy on both front and back covers.  To me, it looks more like an ink spill.  Someone had also previously mentioned that a CGC book was so heavily marked up by distributor ink that it actually took a grade hit and was mentioned as a defect in the notes.  Would love for other Boardies to comment and share their experience.  I agree that if it is considered dist. ink then it's likely to be more favorably graded, but would probably still take at least a small hit for the degree of spillover onto the cover. 

18 hours ago, davet75 said:

usually you can see distributor ink that heavy on both front and back covers.  To me, it looks more like an ink spill.  Someone had also previously mentioned that a CGC book was so heavily marked up by distributor ink that it actually took a grade hit and was mentioned as a defect in the notes.  Would love for other Boardies to comment and share their experience.  I agree that if it is considered dist. ink then it's likely to be more favorably graded, but would probably still take at least a small hit for the degree of spillover onto the cover. 

Bump for more views and opinions.  :bump:

I honestly hope i'm wrong and this turns out to be a high grade book.  It's always nice when fellow Boardies pick up a great high-grade key.

Edited by davet75

Tough to say what CGC would do for the over spray. I guess the main question here is do you plan on selling it? It may be awarded a high grade but some potential buyers will be turned off by the appearance. If you're keeping it then slab away and schtick it on your wall.

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 7:20 PM, Neurosis138 said:

Hulk 1811111751209_hulk181front.thumb.jpg.d8289dd51a9f932501a2ccedaee0e376.jpg

hulk 181 back.jpg

First off, as suggested, it is distributor spray.

It would be a miracle that spray applied to the top edge to that extent never touched any part of the back top edge. Since the "foxing" alluded to as being perceived on the top back cover isn't apparent on any other part of the back cover, or any other white areas of the front cover, my inclination is that what's being perceived by some as "foxing" is a very adept and effective eradication of red overspray on the top edge of the back cover using not chemicals, but a mild abrasive. If I'm right, the gloss at that top edge middle area of the back cover, where the overspray is on the top of the pages, should be slightly flat (matte), and not as glossy as say, the bottom margin. Of course, this process couldn't have been done on the front cover without scuffing the color, but it would improve the back cover appearance drastically, without being considered restoration.

I'd go 9.0, even with the distributor ink.

Edited by James J Johnson

CGC will hit that amount of ink. If the rest of the book is NM it will be a full grade or more in the hit. The fact that it is red on red helps visually, but not technically. 

Not sure if that’s foxing on the back cover, could be dirt or color transfer from other books smeared with the red DI.

A good example is the FF 112 Rube11 has for sale in his thread. Structurally a VF+ or better book, but the intrusiveness of the ink resulted in the grade getting hammered  

FF 112

Edited by joeypost