HOS 92 or ASM 129?
2 2

43 posts in this topic

166 posts

Hi Everybody,

Straight up question: Better investment- House of Secrets 92 CGC 8.0 or Amazing Spider-Man 129 9.0?

Both are selling for around 2K these days (HOS 92 a little more). The reason I ask is because I have a HOS 92 6.5 White which I want to upgrade to an 8.0 and a ASM 129 9.2 OW/White which I actually would like to downgrade to a 9.0 White (to match my other Bronze Keys which are almost all White Pages).

If a nice HOS 92 8.0 comes around I was thinking about selling my ASM 129 after I buy it, basically a trade off. Then waiting for the right 129 White to come around.

Any thoughts on which one might appreciate more in the next year or so? Thanks

Edited by kc2112

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33,996 posts
5 hours ago, kc2112 said:

Any thoughts on which one might appreciate more in the next year or so? Thanks

Both have appreciated in value considerably recently.  I have no idea whatsoever how their values may change over the next year or two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,770 posts
6 hours ago, kc2112 said:

Hi Everybody,

Straight up question: Better investment- House of Secrets 92 CGC 8.0 or Amazing Spider-Man 129 9.0?

Both are selling for around 2K these days (HOS 92 a little more). The reason I ask is because I have a HOS 92 6.5 White which I want to upgrade to an 8.0 and a ASM 129 9.2 OW/White which I actually would like to downgrade to a 9.0 White (to match my other Bronze Keys which are almost all White Pages).

If a nice HOS 92 8.0 comes around I was thinking about selling my ASM 129 after I buy it, basically a trade off. Then waiting for the right 129 White to come around.

Any thoughts on which one might appreciate more in the next year or so? Thanks

I have no strong opinion as to the better of the two books. However, I would like to offer some advice from personal experience. Never sell a book, with the intent on upgrading, until you actually have made the upgrade purchase. Waiting for the 'right' ASM 129 White to come around will probably cost you more money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,099 posts

HOS slam-dunk IMO.

Just look at availability of HOS 8.0s vs ASM 9.0s

HOS has about 150 8.0s and maybe 300ish in higher grades. ASM has 850 9.0s and over 1700 in higher grades.

ASMs are NOT hard to find in that grade (not that HOS is "hard" either but over 5x less than ASM on the census).

HOS has had a much steeper run-up in the past two years and this is with still a lot of lead time to ST big-screen reapp. No one has a crystal ball but Punisher character is already out there in the mainstream media much more than ST, so when ST gets more exposure in the next couple years (which is coming) HOS will likely still outperform ASM.

Just my opinion.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,320 posts

Both great books.

The Punisher is the more popular and relatable character and has more marketing appeal - however, there are tons of copies.

Swamp Thing (to me) is a niche character - who just will not resonate the same way as the Punisher does with audiences and fans.  However, great character and awesome book, and while not rare it is certainly less abundant than ASM129 (although I wonder if the higher value of HOS92 (recently) will bring more copies to CGC and to the market (it likely already has))

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,099 posts
39 minutes ago, Chillax23 said:

Both great books.

The Punisher is the more popular and relatable character and has more marketing appeal - however, there are tons of copies.

Swamp Thing (to me) is a niche character - who just will not resonate the same way as the Punisher does with audiences and fans.  However, great character and awesome book, and while not rare it is certainly less abundant than ASM129 (although I wonder if the higher value of HOS92 (recently) will bring more copies to CGC and to the market (it likely already has))

 

 

Yeah.

{still my own biased opinion}..... but still, the fact that the lower-grade HOS has surpassed the higher grade ASM in recent years (even without a major screen appearance yet) IMO points to the next year or two trajectory staying on track at least until ST (re)appears to the mass screen-audience and either hits or misses.But I think the OP is having a narrow "investment window" rather than 3-5 years when it could all cool down again.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,093 posts

IMHO HOS got a very large spec bump due to the Justice League Dark movie, while rare in grade not sure how much legit interest there is in the book. Obviously, the ASM got a large bump due to the Punisher show but he has been a popular character for a long time. I would wait to purchase either until the hype cools on both. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
884 posts
1 minute ago, maraxusofkeld said:

IMHO HOS got a very large spec bump due to the Justice League Dark movie, while rare in grade not sure how much legit interest there is in the book. Obviously, the ASM got a large bump due to the Punisher show but he has been a popular character for a long time. I would wait to purchase either until the hype cools on both. 

Do you think these books are fueled by hype?  I would suggest that these books are fairly valued in a market that has on average has increased.   This books havent been moved by hype at all.  IF the Punisher gets introduced into an MCU movie, that will be the point that hype hits.  Look at values of other Netflix show characters, they have increased also, has nothing to do with hype.  More to do with introducing characters to a whole new audience.  HOS isnt hype ether, it is a classic cover done by an artist that has recently passed.  It is a dark cover that is hard to find in higher grades.  HOS cover is one of those books that "speaks" to marvel and dc collectors.  Books are fairly valued to me. 

As far as OP question, my heart goes with the HOS but the gambler in me says ASM.  The popularity of the punisher has to pique the interest of the masterminds behind the MCU movies.  Why not introduce him to the movies?  Current line up is aging, punisher is a more relatable character.  Problem is, you may be waiting a long time before he hits the big screen since they have planned so far in advance....   Then again, wouldnt it be a cool cameo if Punisher popped up in a Spidey movie???

I personally would rather have a HOS due to relative scarcity, classic cover, and just a cool character.  But I dont expect that book to have a giant jump anytime.  Im fine with a slow and steady trajectory.  Hopefully, the Swamp Thing series launching next year will due the character justice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,093 posts
9 minutes ago, Bobbyusc said:

Do you think these books are fueled by hype?  I would suggest that these books are fairly valued in a market that has on average has increased.   This books havent been moved by hype at all.  IF the Punisher gets introduced into an MCU movie, that will be the point that hype hits.  Look at values of other Netflix show characters, they have increased also, has nothing to do with hype.  More to do with introducing characters to a whole new audience.  HOS isnt hype ether, it is a classic cover done by an artist that has recently passed.  It is a dark cover that is hard to find in higher grades.  HOS cover is one of those books that "speaks" to marvel and dc collectors.  Books are fairly valued to me. 

As far as OP question, my heart goes with the HOS but the gambler in me says ASM.  The popularity of the punisher has to pique the interest of the masterminds behind the MCU movies.  Why not introduce him to the movies?  Current line up is aging, punisher is a more relatable character.  Problem is, you may be waiting a long time before he hits the big screen since they have planned so far in advance....   Then again, wouldnt it be a cool cameo if Punisher popped up in a Spidey movie???

I personally would rather have a HOS due to relative scarcity, classic cover, and just a cool character.  But I dont expect that book to have a giant jump anytime.  Im fine with a slow and steady trajectory.  Hopefully, the Swamp Thing series launching next year will due the character justice.

How would you explain the increase in prices on HOS? I am not saying that is book is not a key nor that is a great book, but there hasn't been anything great done with Swamp Thing since the Alan Moore run. Prices on both books were stagnant for years until movie/tv shows rumors were introduced. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
884 posts
1 minute ago, maraxusofkeld said:

How would you explain the increase in prices on HOS? I am not saying that is book is not a key nor that is a great book, but there hasn't been anything great done with Swamp Thing since the Alan Moore run. Prices on both books were stagnant for years until movie/tv shows rumors were introduced. 

I would suggest that the rise of the HOS has been fueled by a couple of reasons:

1.  Passing of Wrightson, probably his most recognized cover, brought more interest to the book.  Same, at a great degree, that happened when Trimpe passed etc...  the current comic market is at a spot that even the smallest interest in fuels books for years.  I dont collect DC, but I LOVE this cover.  The color, the feel of classic art, etc...

2.  The middle aged collector, those who remember growing up with the original Swamp Thing movie, now are coming into their largest income potential, extra money is plentiful, sending bronze books to all time highs. Happening across the bronze age, people buy nostalgia (GPK,GI Joes, etc).

3.  I can personally attest that trying to find this book in higher grades has been extremely hard.  I have bought numerous copies and always have disappointed at the subsequent assigned grade.  Dark cover is a grade killer.  Page quality is always low on this book.  I think this is the biggest factor, easily propels higher grades due to perceived scarcity.  Past ebay sales show ONLY 7 books OVER 8.0 have been sold in the last 5 months!!!!  Supply just isnt there....

4.  As a collector, THIS is the classic DC bronze aged must own book.  What other DC character that has been introduced in the bronze age had such a cult following?  Not saying importance to the DCU but just staying power.  I cant think of any....

 

would love to know what you think about this thesis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,864 posts

They are both great books but that HOS 92 cover ...

giphy.gif

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39,852 posts

Keep 'em both unless you actually NEED the money. Both are (as much as I hate to admit having owned and sold multiple copies of each) are "investment" books.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31,969 posts

Both issues are awesome, and two of my favorites from the Bronze Age and later. As much as I would love to say 129, the book I always wanted to own when I was a little kid, House of Secrets 92 gets the nod. Arguably the best cover on a key issue of all time. Wrightson washtone cover with Wrightson interiors? Not sure you can beat that.

I've owned dozens of copies of each over the years and I still get a thrill whenever I buy one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,650 posts

I'll echo what many have said.  I'd take the HOS 92 simply because of the cover art by Wrightson.  I'm a bit biased as that is the only book of the two that I currently own.  I owned a 129 about 8 years ago in 9.6, but really hated the wrap of the book.  Never replaced it.  I doubt I'll ever own another high grade copy.  I don't know which book will be worth more, but just try finding a perfectly wrapped, white paged copy of HOS in high grade.  They don't come up for sale very often.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,502 posts

I don't know which one is a better investment, but I know which one is the coolest. B|

HOS all the way. One of the all-time great covers IMHO. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
166 posts

Thanks for all the really good answers and insights. You guys are pretty good. You know your stuff.

When it comes down to it I suppose I'll grab whichever one comes along first, but especially the HOS considering its rarer especially in upper mid grade and higher.

 

 

 

 

Edited by kc2112

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39,852 posts
3 hours ago, october said:

I've owned dozens of copies of each over the years and I still get a thrill whenever I buy one.

And indeed, that's the thrill of the game! (thumbsu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,635 posts

ASM 129 is a great seller at conventions.

HoS 92 sells before the doors open.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
2 2