• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Green Lantern #76 at Half Price Books

22 posts in this topic

I noticed a copy of Green Lantern #76 displayed in one of their cases. The asking price is $3,000! They also have a copy of ASM #129 but it has water damage. They want $400 for it.

Has anyone else found key issues like these before at Half Price Books? The many years I've been going there, this is a first.

IMG_4795.jpg

Edited by finalfan7asy

I've seen key's at HPB, but none as overpriced as that ...

....but such as ASM #16 "F" range priced at $150, Y the Last Man #1 VF priced at $125, Savage Sword of Conan #1 "F" priced at $100...Green Lantern (first starfire, whichever issue that was) priced at $100....

The tend to over price in the very good to fine range.....

4 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

....but such as ASM #16 "F" range priced at $150, Y the Last Man #1 VF priced at $125, Savage Sword of Conan #1 "F" priced at $100...Green Lantern (first starfire, whichever issue that was) priced at $100....

The ASM #129 looked to be a GD- at best.

4 minutes ago, finalfan7asy said:

The ASM #129 looked to be a GD- at best.

ask them if it is a typo and is supposed to be $300 for the GL, that would make more sense....ASM 129 has gone up, but that is still a lot, unless you have a HPB coupon

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

1 hour ago, october said:

I bought a raw Hulk 181 from a HPB case three or four years ago I think. It was $1000 and came back 8.5, a good price for the time....a great price now. 

Both the check-out girl and my dad looked at me like I was nuts when I bought it. 

A similar store near me that sells dvds, records, cds, video games, comic statues etc. Had a raw IH 181 which they estimated was a 7.0 or 7.5... for $1,500...1 and a 1/2 years ago.. I had the cash but was nervous as I had never spent so much on a book.

I didn't buy it.... regret it to this day... I did end up getting a 7.5 already graded for around that price. Especially what the price would have been after state tax...

Good on you for having the jewels to purchase, especially with the onlookers  :foryou:

8 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I found a YTLM #1-20 at HPB once for $1.50 each a couple years ago. The #1 graded out at 9.8

Haven't found squat there ever since.

Got an Incredible Hulk #271 for $10 a year or so ago at a HPB, roughly an 8.0.  Was happy with that one.

Got all the Zatanna issues with Adam Hughes covers at half cover not long ago.

Got an Action #50 in GD or so for $60 a few years ago.  I had to wait them out on that one, though.  They had it at $300 for a year, then dropped it to $150 when it didn't sell; I was tempted at that price but was waiting for the holidays to end so I would have some cash.  When I went it, it was dropped again, to $120... and they had a half off any one item sale that day.

You can get some great stuff there, but their grading is frequently garbage.  Still worth looking regularly.

17 hours ago, october said:

I bought a raw Hulk 181 from a HPB case three or four years ago I think. It was $1000 and came back 8.5, a good price for the time....a great price now. 

Both the check-out girl and my dad looked at me like I was nuts when I bought it. 

You'd think your dad would know by now! (By then.)

13 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Got an Incredible Hulk #271 for $10 a year or so ago at a HPB, roughly an 8.0.  Was happy with that one.

Got all the Zatanna issues with Adam Hughes covers at half cover not long ago.

Got an Action #50 in GD or so for $60 a few years ago.  I had to wait them out on that one, though.  They had it at $300 for a year, then dropped it to $150 when it didn't sell; I was tempted at that price but was waiting for the holidays to end so I would have some cash.  When I went it, it was dropped again, to $120... and they had a half off any one item sale that day.

You can get some great stuff there, but their grading is frequently garbage.  Still worth looking regularly.

I don't think they 'grade' per se . Just take a glance at E-Bay or whatever they use and maybe adjust the price if it's an obvious beater. Otherwise a VF is equivalent to a NM . While I do like to stop in occasionally, there's a lot of flippers hitting these stores and it's usually picked.

On 9/30/2018 at 5:51 PM, october said:

I was just in the HPB by me in Downers Grove. During a conversation with the HPB employee he mentioned that a couple years ago the Countryside store had a Hulk 181 for sale for 1,000. I laughed and said I knew the guy that bought it ! Sometimes our hobby is a small world.