• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Future of Detective 880

8 posts in this topic

So, I am at a quandary.  Looking to grab either a Detective 880 or a Batman 251 both great Joker covers.  Seeing as how a high grade Detective 880 seems to be increasing would it be better to grab one of those now vs. getting a low mid grade Bats 251?  Either would be for my personal collection, I'm just asking if the Jock cover will continue to increase to get out of reach vs. seeing that a low mid grade Batman 251 seems to holding steady where I should be able to get a hold of one for the same price a bit down the line.

Hope that makes sense.  Any opinions would be appreciated.   

:flipbait:but seriously, I see your quandary .... will a 9.8 #880 become out of range $$ wise before a mid-grade #251.... my thoughts are yes unfortunately but for how long and is that in the best interest for the hobby idk.... It is a great and classic cover similar to #251, but for the the meantime by what you like :foryou: I suggest the 880, and swing back around for the #251 because that price seems to dip sometimes.... but all this is an opinion....

I’m no DC guy, but as someone who collects all eras, in the long-term classic covers largely depend on the staying power of the given artist. This is because as wow-ing as some Modern covers are (880 is sweeeeeet) there can always be bigger and badder (same deal with big variants that gradually fade in the memory and drop).

So for me, 880 makes sense shorter-term; would go 251 for a long-term hold unless Jock at some point rivals Neal Adams stature.

1 hour ago, Wolverinex said:

I would probably buy a 251 because it's such a classic cover.  The 880 seemed to have bump up because of the reprint recently...

Meanwhile, all the Supergirl Legion of superheros 23 Hughes seemed to have dried up online.... sigh  I was hoping to buy another copy...

Tec 880 has been going up since last year. Has nothing to do really with a garbage foil reprint.