Newton Rings
24 24

529 posts in this topic

9,747 posts
On 11/4/2019 at 3:47 AM, IbukiLord said:

My LCS recently received 30 CGC submissions and didn't see any with Newton Rings while I was going through them but what I did notice is that all of them have loose inner holders now, I'm assuming this is done so that the 2 plastics don't touch each other and cause the effect?

Is this the solution now to have a loose inner sleeve?

It sounds like CGC may be using a thicker sealed Mylar inner sleeve.  No way of knowing if this is or isn’t an aspect of the fix, but it seems like a possible solution to reduce or eliminate NR.  I suspect a thicker sealed inner sleeve of Mylar would protect books from damage if the sleeve had enough room to float loose inside the hard polycarbonate case, but just guessing.  

CGC management probably won’t discuss how they fixed the problem in much detail ...if indeed they have... as I suspect the work-around will be considered proprietary. 

33 posts

Just received this yesterday. Date says it was signed 10/21 so it was slabbed after that. Really hope they did/are fixing it, because this is terrible. Going to reach out to Brittany for help. Where do I find her email?  Thanks. 

E693A8A0-D199-46B5-BB57-17BECCC8E537.jpeg

12,460 posts
4 minutes ago, slynger said:

Just received this yesterday. Date says it was signed 10/21 so it was slabbed after that. Really hope they did/are fixing it, because this is terrible. Going to reach out to Brittany for help. Where do I find her email?  Thanks. 

brittany@cgccomics.com

1,799 posts
2 minutes ago, Silver Age Stud said:

If I buy a book that has this affect will CGC reholder it?

A small amount of newton rings is considered "normal and acceptable" by CGC, but if your slab is showing an excessive amount of newton rings they will usually reholder it for you (though the newton ring effect is often removed by scuffing the inner well - which can also be unsightly). Definitely contact Brittany at CGC with scans or pics of your slab showing the severity of the newton rings and wait for her agreement before sending anything back to CGC.

16 posts
7 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

A small amount of newton rings is considered "normal and acceptable" by CGC, but if your slab is showing an excessive amount of newton rings they will usually reholder it for you (though the newton ring effect is often removed by scuffing the inner well - which can also be unsightly). Definitely contact Brittany at CGC with scans or pics of your slab showing the severity of the newton rings and wait for her agreement before sending anything back to CGC.

Thanks for the info, I greatly appreciate it

2 posts

Im honestly curious how many books don't have newton rings? Im now to the point where I have so many slabs needing to be fixed that I can't ship them all to CGC in 1 package because no courier will insure its value. 20+ books with reholder fees, submission fees, membership fees, handling fees, 4x international shipping fees, 4x insurance. This is what customers have to deal with to fix something that shouldn't have happened in the first place. The majority of my collection has newton rings so bad that I don't want to display the books. It's been over a year since @CGC Comics left this post, has there been any communication since then? Any improvement? Anything?

27,313 posts

they're not going to fix the problem, so long as people keep sending them books.

52,802 posts
2 hours ago, DR.X said:

they're not going to fix the problem, so long as people keep sending them books.

And why should they as long as the money keeps rolling in?