Newton Rings
20 20

373 posts in this topic

1,569 posts

Six comics from a shipment in the fall sent in for reholdering due to Newton Rings and all received back today in perfect, crystal-clear cases. (thumbsu

201 posts
3 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

Six comics from a shipment in the fall sent in for reholdering due to Newton Rings and all received back today in perfect, crystal-clear cases. (thumbsu

Were they the thicker cases?

1,569 posts
Posted (edited)

At work now so don't have any other cases to compare them to but these ones are 0.554" thick when measured with a micrometer. Are those the thicker ones?

Edited by Black_Adam

9,482 posts

Maybe it's just that the graders are less thick than those passing NR through QC. (thumbsu

30,432 posts
8 minutes ago, I like pie said:

Got 20 moderns back today. Zero NR:banana:

Any scratches on the cases?

5,385 posts
30 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

I didn't see anything stand out at first glance but am scanning the now. I'll update when I'm done:wishluck:

938 posts

Cool. This is good news.

Out of curiosity ... I've been following the "Is CGC strict?" thread. Based on your 20 moderns, would you agree?

5,385 posts
28 minutes ago, Gaard said:

Cool. This is good news.

Out of curiosity ... I've been following the "Is CGC strict?" thread. Based on your 20 moderns, would you agree?

I don't think so. I was happy with the grades. I do have one more large pre screen there now and another in a couple weeks though.

2,928 posts
On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 1:07 PM, comicdonna said:

I thought the scratches were gone, guess not ... They show very prevalent in this Dell'otto Punisher #2 Virgin Cover. :facepalm:

dvv (2).jpg

Edited by nepatkm
image again

30,432 posts

I don't think scratching the mylar to get rid of the newton rings is the answer.  :frown:

14,048 posts
14 hours ago, comicdonna said:

I don't think scratching the mylar to get rid of the newton rings is the answer.  :frown:

If I have to choose I prefer the scratches to the newton rings but ideally I would definitely want to have neither.

188 posts

Are you guys actually checking the cases at different angles?  The last small batch I opened last night had NR's on 3 out of 4.  The 4th was crystal clear but did have some minor scuffing.  

1,052 posts

I've had 4 books graded in the past months and they have all been fine. Another 4 moderns are coming in about 4 weeks. I'll update when I get them.

1 post

So from what I am reading in this forum, new guy here, it looks like I need to submit my comics for grading one at a time to keep from scratches. I don't know about the whole Newton Rings, I am hoping that will not happen on mine. I think I will send in one that is not as important to me as my Stan Lee signed Secret Wars #8. Super nervous about sending that one in to be graded and sealed, I want it to be perfect when I get it back. 

9,482 posts
13 hours ago, Michael Peek said:

So from what I am reading in this forum, new guy here, it looks like I need to submit my comics for grading one at a time to keep from scratches. I don't know about the whole Newton Rings, I am hoping that will not happen on mine. I think I will send in one that is not as important to me as my Stan Lee signed Secret Wars #8. Super nervous about sending that one in to be graded and sealed, I want it to be perfect when I get it back. 

As a side note, unless something has changed, I don't think CGC will verify the signature as authentic unless the autograph is certified as witnessed at the time it's submitted for grading. hm