• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

40Yrs is now 50Yrs!
1 1

111 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Great thread.  I think all of us old timers need to do one of these...

Agreed. Guess that means everyone 50 and up? 

That rules me out for a few months still :)

I'm a long timer, not old timer :banana:

2 hours ago, Jayman said:

@50YrsCollctngCmcs So what is next? Great top 10 but where are you headed next as a collector? Any books still on your to get list or goals to accomplish? Would love to know!

Jay,

There is still much of interest for me. I still need Four Color 9 and 29, Barks’ first two duck books. I need the Dumbo Four Color and I’ve started working on the Animal Comics, Fairy Tale Parade and Our Gang runs. I’ve also upgraded books that are really rough on occasion if the price is right.

On the DC side I love obscure fifties DC books. I’ve also started a mini Adventure collection and I also love Action, All Star and Wonder Woman titles. 

I don’t buy much silver or bronze; only if the mood strikes and it is something fun.

With a list like that I’ll be busy for many years.

Frank

Edited by 50YrsCollctngCmcs

On 10/14/2018 at 12:17 PM, telerites said:

It would be kind of interesting to see what OSPG we started with and if we kept it.  My first was #4 and yes I still have and each year after it too.

I guess I was a latecomer to the party.  My first OSPG was the Spirt of 1976.  And yes, I still have it. :)

On 10/14/2018 at 3:16 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

A trip to the Carnegie Library in my hometown yielded a book on the subject from the late forties that primarily covered newspaper strips. It was my first exposure to the history of the Yellow Kid and some of the other early strips. This book was published in the late forties but I cannot recall its name off hand. The last chapter covered Superman which whet my appetite for more to come.

I'm just discovering this thread.  Fun stuff!  Thanks for sharing!  From your description, I'm guessing that book at Carnegie Library was Coulton Waugh's The Comics, originally published in 1947.  It has had at least a couple paperback reprints since.  It's largely about newspaper strips, but the last chapter is about comic books.

Colton_Waugh_The_Comics.JPG.f94ef1503169ef4fe67fc12d5ed2fa2b.JPG

1 hour ago, SOTIcollector said:

I'm just discovering this thread.  Fun stuff!  Thanks for sharing!  From your description, I'm guessing that book at Carnegie Library was Coulton Waugh's The Comics, originally published in 1947.  It has had at least a couple paperback reprints since.  It's largely about newspaper strips, but the last chapter is about comic books.

Colton_Waugh_The_Comics.JPG.f94ef1503169ef4fe67fc12d5ed2fa2b.JPG

Glad you enjoyed the thread. The book above sounds right; it was my introduction to being able to read the History of the comics medium and left me wanting more!