• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st appearance of NIGHTWING?

11 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Dogsupreme said:

So I recently acquired a new collection and ran across this little thing. I had never seen it before. Could this be the first appearance of NIGHTWING?

I am going to go with a hard "no" only because this looks like a sampling of stories going on in the DC universe  (New Teen Titans w/ Nightwing, Batman: Year One, Maxwell Lord Justice League,etc) and plus Wikipedia says Tales of the Teen Titans #44 is his first appearance :nyah:

But anywho, i think this was published in 1989 (if my search of the book is correct):ph34r:

You are buying collections, cool.  Here is a question for you: Do you know how to find publication date in the indicia?  Do you know how to google “first appearance of Nightwing”?  Two good resources for figuring things like this out.   

7 hours ago, Heronext said:

You are buying collections, cool.  Here is a question for you: Do you know how to find publication date in the indicia?  Do you know how to google “first appearance of Nightwing”?  Two good resources for figuring things like this out.   

Dayum! You are on fire today. :D

13 hours ago, Dogsupreme said:

So I recently acquired a new collection and ran across this little thing. I had never seen it before. Could this be the first appearance of NIGHTWING?

Scan 2.jpeg

This is a nifty little book, the only one of its kind, that was sort of a precursor to later giveaways. It was printed and distributed probably around November or December of 1989, and given for free by DC to give to various retailers, with the hopeful aim, I imagine, of selling more of the relatively new trade paperback format. Notice, the titles aren't "Batman #404-407" or "Tales of the Teen Titans #42-44, Annual #3", or "Justice League #1-6, Annual #1"...but "Batman: Year One", "The Judas Contract", and "A New Beginning." 

It contained excerpts from each of those four stories.

I remember the day I discovered it...it was the very first day I ever walked my 17 year old self into the Land of Nevawuz, in Danville, CA, on a cool January evening. Funny, how you remember stuff. I can see the store layout, the bright lights (it was lit like an art gallery, which I thought was cool), everything. I found that book, and thought "Free?? This will be worth a FORTUNE!" and grabbed 2 copies.

lol

Dopey teenagers.

Still have those copies somewhere.

:cloud9:

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

2 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

This is a nifty little book, the only one of its kind, that was sort of a precursor to later giveaways. It was printed and distributed probably around November or December of 1989, and given for free by DC to give to various retailers, with the hopeful aim, I imagine, of selling more of the relatively new trade paperback format. Notice, the titles aren't "Batman #404-407" or "Tales of the Teen Titans #42-44, Annual #3", or "Justice League #1-6, Annual #1"...but "Batman: Year One", "The Judas Contract", and "A New Beginning." 

It contained excerpts from each of those four stories.

I remember the day I discovered it...it was the very first day I ever walked my 17 year old self into the Land of Nevawuz, in Danville, CA, on a cool January evening. Funny, how you remember stuff. I can see the store layout, the bright lights (it was light like an art gallery, which I thought was cool), everything. I found that book, and thought "Free?? This will be worth a FORTUNE!" and grabbed 2 copies.

lol

Dopey teenagers.

Still have those copies somewhere.

:cloud9:

Based on this post, I'd say it DID turn out to be worth a fortune for you. Great memory, great story! (thumbsu