• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

One week old. 1 in 100. Already $2k?
3 3

99 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

??? Please state the Rule, then explain how it applies to everything.

OK.

The Rule of 25 simply states that the hot collectible at any one time is what 37-42 year old men wanted to buy 25 years previously when they were 12-17 year old boys. It doesn't matter what the collectible is - that's the sweet spot for nostalgia, 25 years and above.

The Rule of 25 has never been proven wrong. Of course, you may miss as to what the hot collectible is but whatever was desired by a teenage boy 25 years previously will become what the new hot collectible du jour is. 25 years previous from now was 1993-94.

If you want to make some money, you should be buying the things that teenage boys wanted to buy in 1999 and sticking them away for a couple of years.

There also is the corollary - the Rule of 75 - which states that something will become not collectible 75 years later, because all of the people who were collecting that stuff are dead. Stamps. Westerns. Postcards. etc. etc.  It also never has been proven wrong. The big thing now is furniture. The price on high end collectible furniture has cratered - that's because all the people who collected furniture are getting rid of it because they're dying off, and no one is buying.

9 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

The Rule of 25 simply states that the hot collectible at any one time is what 37-42 year old men wanted to buy 25 years previously when they were 12-17 year old boys. It doesn't matter what the collectible is - that's the sweet spot for nostalgia, 25 years and above.

So your contention is that teenage boys are buying or wanting to buy limited edition variants for recent comic books? O.olol Okay, I'm going to have to disagree with you there.

Anybody who is planning on selling comics in 20-25 years had better just hope that any of those current teenagers have any interest in any comics at that time.

28 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

So your contention is that teenage boys are buying or wanting to buy limited edition variants for recent comic books? O.olol Okay, I'm going to have to disagree with you there.

Anybody who is planning on selling comics in 20-25 years had better just hope that any of those current teenagers have any interest in any comics at that time.

I have no idea what teenage boys want to buy right now. They might want this, you never know. The time to buy this book isn't now, it is 15 years from now when you''ll be able to buy it for pennies on the dollar. What you should be buying right now are mainstream Marvels from 1999 and 2000.

Of the second sentence, I do not disagree at all. Comic books are running the serious risk of becoming like stamps.

Edited by FlyingDonut

1 hour ago, FlyingDonut said:

OK.

The Rule of 25 has never been proven wrong. Of course, you may miss as to what the hot collectible is but whatever was desired by a teenage boy 25 years previously will become what the new hot collectible du jour is. 25 years previous from now was 1993-94.

If you want to make some money, you should be buying the things that teenage boys wanted to buy in 1999 and sticking them away for a couple of years.

There also is the corollary - the Rule of 75 - which states that something will become not collectible 75 years later, because all of the people who were collecting that stuff are dead. Stamps. Westerns. Postcards. etc. etc.  It also never has been proven wrong. The big thing now is furniture. The price on high end collectible furniture has cratered - that's because all the people who collected furniture are getting rid of it because they're dying off, and no one is buying.

Golden age comics?

Just now, Wolverinex said:

Golden age comics?

Many Golden Age comics - the ones where the characters dropped out of sight of teenage boys - are great examples of the Rule of 75. What was the most valuable comic in Overstreet (or one of the most, I don't have it in front of me) in 1970? Feature Book 26, the Prince Valiant book. I'll bet the value of that book has dropped 75% since then (inflation adjusted dollars) and is probably the same as it was then in real dollars. Westerns. Romance books. Crime books. Spy books. Funny animal books. Barks Duck books. All of these books were super hot at one point, and because there was never a teenage boy who wanted them after about 1962, they all died on the vine. This is not to say that people still don't buy them, but the collectibility of them is just gone.

2 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

Many Golden Age comics - the ones where the characters dropped out of sight of teenage boys - are great examples of the Rule of 75. What was the most valuable comic in Overstreet (or one of the most, I don't have it in front of me) in 1970? Feature Book 26, the Prince Valiant book. I'll bet the value of that book has dropped 75% since then (inflation adjusted dollars) and is probably the same as it was then in real dollars. Westerns. Romance books. Crime books. Spy books. Funny animal books. Barks Duck books. All of these books were super hot at one point, and because there was never a teenage boy who wanted them after about 1962, they all died on the vine. This is not to say that people still don't buy them, but the collectibility of them is just gone.

So I need to buy fortnite dances and wait 25 years? 

2 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

So I need to buy fortnite dances and wait 25 years? 

Not now. Buy them in 15 years when you can get them for pennies on today's dollar, but yes, absolutely.

Actually, here's a freebie! Yu-Gi-Oh cards. There's about 15 years left before they're going to explode in value and everyone's going to go "oh my God, I had those when I was a kid!"

(note this assumes we're not all living in caves, drinking recycled urine, and eating bugs)

Edited by FlyingDonut

4 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

Not now. Buy them in 15 years when you can get them for pennies on today's dollar, but yes, absolutely.

Actually, here's a freebie! Yu-Gi-Oh cards. There's about 15 years left before they're going to explode in value and everyone's going to go "oh my God, I had those when I was a kid!"

(note this assumes we're not all living in caves, drinking recycled urine, and eating bugs)

Lol.  That is true.  How about pokemon cards?  Man... i don't know if I have the energy to learn how those work...

4 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Fried chicken?   So obviously mega keys like action 1 are immune but as a whole, I should avoid all golden age comics now?

Not all. Ones where the character hasn't been published in years and years will still have value, but it isn't sustainable. Batman, Superman, Captain America, Wonder Woman - those are fine. The Golden Age comic books you're thinking of are fine. The ones you're not thinking of are dogs - this one, for example, that had a print run higher than ANY comic published now.  I'll sell this comic on eBay this week for $10 because everyone who ever heard of Sunset Carson is - at least - 70 years old.

adventuresofsunsetcarson004.jpeg

Edited by FlyingDonut

7 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

Do you think enough people will want to collect them independent of the game aspect? hm

Just now, Lazyboy said:

Do you think enough people will want to collect them independent of the game aspect? hm

Who knows? They might - the artwork is pretty cool on some of them, and there's a lot of inherent nostalgia in them. Its already happening with high end Magic cards, so you never know. The thing about gambling with the Rule of 25 - you shouldn't be outlaying that much cash.

Who knows? They might - the artwork is pretty cool on some of them, and there's a lot of inherent nostalgia in them. Its already happening with high end Magic cards, so you never know. The thing about gambling with the Rule of 25 - you shouldn't be outlaying that much cash.

What about graded video games? 

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:

What about graded video games? 

lol edit because it's been 25 years, some are pricey, but  :foryou:

1 minute ago, FlyingDonut said:

Who knows? They might - the artwork is pretty cool on some of them, and there's a lot of inherent nostalgia in them. Its already happening with high end Magic cards, so you never know.

But M:tG, as a game, has grown at a huge rate over the last decade and there are many ways to play, both casually and competitively. And there's also a lot of manipulation in the market.

Yu-Gi-Oh players either just quit or move up to M:tG.

1 minute ago, FlyingDonut said:

The thing about gambling with the Rule of 25 - you shouldn't be outlaying that much cash.

(thumbsu