• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to approach cleaning/pressing for this?
1 1

3 posts in this topic

So I bought a few books and when they arrived I noticed that a few of them were used in an odd way by the original owner (no, not that way you perv!!!).

The kid rubbed black crayon on the back of the cover and then (I assume) put a blank piece of paper behind the cover and pushed down hard with a pencil, tracing the outlines of some of the figures on the covers - basically making a home-made transfer of the image. That leaves these comics in nice, but strangely abused, shape. I am attaching an image of the front and inside of the front of the cover for your viewing pleasure and examination. 

The question is - can this be remedied by cleaning and pressing? Would it involve "restoration"? Would it be worthwhile to do?

Thanks in advance for everyone's input.

20181101_124524.jpg

20181101_124510.jpg

I have cleaned wax off of books before, but crayon has the added element of color. The indents from the tracing can easily be removed and the crayon reduced, but the question would be “does CGC consider it restoration or damage”. Would be a question for them.