• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why is FF #48 so hot right now???

16 posts in this topic

That book was expensive even in the 70's.  Sadly I never got one.  But I got this one and I just sent to CGC for slabbing...  First surfer on cover I think...

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6ea.jpg.c801e39a76b8c649dd38b6ebe50fe2f0.jpg

An indestructible hero that can travel time instantly, its not really fair to the villains is it? hehe

5 hours ago, Georgie123 said:

Just curious as to why such a price jump on ff 48.  What does that mean for the silver surfer run especially #1

The book started to jump when the Disney/Fox rumors intensified, and then again when the deal was finalized between the two companies.  (Note, the deal still needs to be approved by the US agencies I believe, so it's not 100% a done deal yet).  As soon as #48 went up, the other books in that first trilogy (#49/#50) began to increase as well.  All on the premise that once under Disney/Marvel's control, the characters will eventually make cinematic appearances.  I believe Feige has already said in interviews that he would love to get his hands on the characters and include them in the MCU.

Depends when you were on these boards at different times when this books demand began to rise. Seemed anytime anyone posted a high grade example, there would always be someone saying they are common in high grade, and/or there was a warehouse find of them. If those guys are still around here, they'll pretty much say the same. I've asked for proof of such warehouse finds, and never saw anyone provide it, so there is that.

Edited by comicwiz

39 minutes ago, comicwiz said:

Depends when you were on these boards at different times when this books demand began to rise. Seemed anytime anyone posted a high grade example, there would always be someone saying they are common in high grade, and/or there was a warehouse find of them. If those guys are still around here, they'll pretty much say the same. I've asked for proof of such warehouse finds, and never saw anyone provide it, so there is that.

How can you 'prove' there was a warehouse find of any comic book ? Over the years, certain books would be more plentiful, even showing up in stacks at a convention. Whenever asked where they got the stacks from, the answer was usually a warehouse find. It makes sense. (shrug)

I am not sure re; the warehouse find, but a collector friend pulled his copy (graded out at 9.6) from the middle of a stack of 50 copies that a dealer had at a show in the late 80s. He said they came from an unopened newsstand bundle. 

14 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

How can you 'prove' there was a warehouse find of any comic book ? Over the years, certain books would be more plentiful, even showing up in stacks at a convention. Whenever asked where they got the stacks from, the answer was usually a warehouse find. It makes sense. (shrug)

There have been other warehouse finds, that people know (Science! beat me to posting about the Heroes Inc. #1). As far as I'm concerned, if you are going to throw around a claim that FF 48 (including ASM 33, which was another issue that was mentioned) were part of a warehouse find, then the burden is on the person making the claim to prove it. I mean, it would seem easy just to mention who made the find, when, etc. Usually collectors are tripping over themselves whenever a find is made, so I see it as something we all should have read about or heard by now. (thumbsu

Edited by comicwiz

41 minutes ago, Ladic said:

I bought it about 25 years ago in rough shape and had it graded a few months ago with CGC and came back 2.0.

What would a 2.0 CGC graded copy be worth?

There's a paid subscription service called GPA, which you can look up 'sold' prices for CGC comics, and see the history of sales.  They aggregate from multiple websites/dealers, and will provide you an idea of the value.

20 hours ago, Georgie123 said:

Thank you to all.  I have many comics which recently have risen in value. My silver surfer # 1 (9.6) has not seen much of a price bump. Wondering why

The market cares most about 1st appearances now. FF #48 is the 1st Appearance of Silver Surfer and is running up, while SS #1 is just the character's 1st solo book. Look at TOS #39 vs. Iron Man #1 as another example of this. 

On 11/4/2018 at 8:30 PM, ExNihilo said:

The book started to jump when the Disney/Fox rumors intensified, and then again when the deal was finalized between the two companies.  (Note, the deal still needs to be approved by the US agencies I believe, so it's not 100% a done deal yet).  As soon as #48 went up, the other books in that first trilogy (#49/#50) began to increase as well.  All on the premise that once under Disney/Marvel's control, the characters will eventually make cinematic appearances.  I believe Feige has already said in interviews that he would love to get his hands on the characters and include them in the MCU.

Pretty much all of this combined with the current speculator market driving prices wild + new fans coming in + the Galactus trilogy debatably being one of the most important runs (at least in a cosmic sense) in the history of the Marvel Universe.