• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comiclink 2018 auction - soft prices?
2 2

29 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, VintageComics said:

While selling this time of year can be hit and miss (some buyers are distracted by the holidays, while others have record amounts of money to spend as Christmas bonuses) I think the real reason is the change in internet tax laws.

Comiclink now charges taxes in 8 states (I'm not sure what Heritage and CC do), which reduces bidding prices as bidders factor in those taxes into their final bids. I think this is a fairly significant factor that will affect prices.

And as governments continually look to recover lost revenue in the digital age I only see this trend increasing.

I don't know Roy. There is already a healthy variance in sales prices of any book. 10-15% difference is normal, if not even a bit higher. Is 6-8% sales tax going to be a big factor given that there is already a healthy variance? Maybe, but I wouldn't bet on it. Maybe fewer records will be set as people figure in sales tax but that's about it.

4 hours ago, LordRahl said:

Variances of 10-15% are common between auctions. Lots of factors to consider with every book. But overall softening of the market for these books... no I don't think that is happening yet. Which particular books did you think would sell for much more?

I was looking at that Hulk1 6.5(despite what GPA shows, it seems like 5.0's have been selling for around 25), FF1 5.0(the chipping definitely hurt that one), and the lower grade AF15's....while the 3.0 and 3.5 were not the strongest for their grade, those looked like steals at those prices. The AF15 at 5.0 and 6.5 looked really sharp and seemed like they should've sold higher than GPA.

Edited by c_mkv

On 11/29/2018 at 7:13 AM, 1Cool said:
On 11/29/2018 at 7:01 AM, c_mkv said:

Is it just me or do prices seem to be softening a bit on some keys? Specifically silver age marvel keys ie: the FF1's, AF15's and Hulk 1's all seemd to sell for much less than I thought they would. Thoughts? Comments? 

I just checked and there was 3 Hulk 1s up in one auction so that may have hurt sales a bit.

+1

Yes, definitely doesn't help when there are so many copies of the exact same book in the auction at the same time.

Besides the 3 copies of Hulk 1in the auction, it looks like there were 5 copies of AF 15 for the potential bidders to pick and choose between.  hm

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

+1

Yes, definitely doesn't help when there are so many copies of the exact same book in the auction at the same time.

Besides the 3 copies of Hulk 1in the auction, it looks like there were 5 copies of AF 15 for the potential bidders to pick and choose between.  hm

+1

+1

I just wanted to mention that the Hulk #1s and the AF #15s in this auction were all in different grades so not really the “same exact” books. I’ve never seen Comiclink list Silver Age books with the same grade within the same auction session.

As far as soft prices go, I would not agree as it looks to me like there were dozens of keys in this auction that beat GPA by a significant margin. This included both major and minor keys across all eras. 

Thanks for listening,

Gardner

On 11/29/2018 at 7:08 PM, cupny said:

I have bid on many books (and lost) that I thought I had bid heavy enough to win.  Pre Code and GA are not soft in my opinion.

SA and BA keys are common as dirt and are simply a commodity. They can be aquired very easily if you have the dough. GA and PCH on the other hand can be quite challenging especially in upper grades. Seems like I see records being broken all the time on books like this. PCH is burning hot!