• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

At this point, should I just crack them out of the case?
3 3

54 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

at the Major Comic-Con a couple years ago i became aware that most if not all big time dealers will pay the extra and press the comics they submit to CGC ,...and why not ?? its not all that much more money (just extra time) and it pays for itself many times over...

If you press hard enuff the marvel value stamp will reattach!

3 hours ago, oakman29 said:

What! 

I don't press anything.

+1. (sorry, not much into the "like" button).

I agree that most of the BIG SELLERS, probably press a lot of their books (as they are looking to resell and maximize profits).

Since I am a collector (not a seller), my thoughts on the subject are likely significantly different than those who are in the business of selling comics.

I am rather certain, however, that at some point in time, I likely purchased a pressed comic without even knowing it.

Edited by Hudson

18 minutes ago, Hudson said:

I am rather certain, however, that at some point in time, I likely purchased a pressed comic without even knowing it.

:gossip: Jo-Jo 25

On 11/30/2018 at 8:13 AM, NoMan said:

Trying to put a raw, upressed HG X-men run together. I'm not anti-CGC case I wanna read 'em is all in their original form. It's becoming a major headache to find the keys in HG that aren't already slabbed. I'm ready to cave and just get 'em in the case and break 'em out, which probably means they've been pressed. >:(

Not too long ago, a thread like this would have received an onslaught of backlash, driving the author to run and hide. Good to see things remained mostly cordial. I think the pressing ship has sailed and it's not worth the effort of the pressing crowd to even acknowledge. I prefer unpressed books for my collection but they are not easy to acquire anymore. I will buy pressed books as long as they look good. As Roy mentioned, a properly pressed book should not look pressed.  While I expect most books in newer slabs to be pressed, it is dicsoncerting to hear many dealers press ALL their raw books. This should be disclosed. Greg Reece is one of the few online dealers that will note if a book was pressed. I think it would behoove other dealers to consider disclosing. Dealers should consider the value in originality as oppossed to a slightly higher grade. I will pay more for an unpressed raw VF, than a pressed VF+ . I don't think I am alone. Am I ?

5 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Not too long ago, a thread like this would have received an onslaught of backlash, driving the author to run and hide. Good to see things remained mostly cordial. I think the pressing ship has sailed and it's not worth the effort of the pressing crowd to even acknowledge. I prefer unpressed books for my collection but they are not easy to acquire anymore. I will buy pressed books as long as they look good. As Roy mentioned, a properly pressed book should not look pressed.  While I expect most books in newer slabs to be pressed, it is dicsoncerting to hear many dealers press ALL their raw books. This should be disclosed. Greg Reece is one of the few online dealers that will note if a book was pressed. I think it would behoove other dealers to consider disclosing. Dealers should consider the value in originality as oppossed to a slightly higher grade. I will pay more for an unpressed raw VF, than a pressed VF+ . I don't think I am alone. Am I ?

No, you're not. 

Just now, Bomber-Bob said:

i've run off to hide. Communicate by bird whistle only. 

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Do the covers of your books look like oatmeal or have dents?  I guess I can understand not having a spine smashed flat as a pancake but I have been happy with my pressed books so far.  You also have guys selling slabbed books saying HEY! its not pressed YET - crack it out and press and slab for even more money!!  Seems silly...

21 minutes ago, NoMan said:

thanks! that made me laugh on a really, really s  h  i  t  t  y day. There hasn't been anything about today that has not been s h i t t y , except for this. Thank You! :foryou:

I'm sorry you had a terrible day, but this too shall pass!  Glad I could provide a laugh on a cloudy day! :foryou: