• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Classic Cover designation
3 3

37 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, 

I was curious as to how CGC chooses which comics get designated having a "Classic Cover". I've seen a number of books with this designation and there are some that don't which I personally think should have it like Silver Surfer #4. Also, is there any complete list out there for CGC Classic Covers?

Chris

1 hour ago, Cushing Fan said:

Thank you! I'll check it out now. 

The CGC search engine can sometimes spit out way too many results. I would Google search "CGC Classic Cover" if that's the case. There are at least a few topics within this forum on the 1st page of results.

1 hour ago, zosocane said:

Which artist holds the distinction for drawing the most covers that CGC has designated a 'classic cover.'  hm

Also, which is the most recently published comic that holds a CGC 'classic cover' designation?  hm hm  Is there something after Batman 251 from 1973?

My guess would be either Schomburg or Lou Fine for most designations. Not sure there are any Copper and later books that have the designation but there are certainly some that are deserving, Hulk 340 and Cap Annual 8 for instance.

53 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

The CGC search engine can sometimes spit out way too many results. I would Google search "CGC Classic Cover" if that's the case. There are at least a few topics within this forum on the 1st page of results.

This is exactly what I had to do to find relevant posts.

3 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

I just hope no liefeld cover gets classic'ed

Should CGC recognise the opposite scenario then? hm

"Bloody Awful Cover".

That would be a good new designation. And quite handy when classifying Liefeld covers.

Edited by Get Marwood & I
The Wisdom of Crocodiles

2 hours ago, LordRahl said:

Not sure there are any Copper and later books that have the designation but there are certainly some that are deserving, Hulk 340 and Cap Annual 8 for instance.

I think Batman 251 is the last CGC 'classic cover' designation.  I think this book deserves a classic cover designation:

Daredevil_184_9-9.jpg

On 12/3/2018 at 9:28 AM, gadzukes said:

SS4 is definitely a classic cover in my book.  Arguably the greatest Buscema cover.

With some noteworthy competition from Avengers 57 and Avengers Annual 2, though like you I would give SS4 the edge.  ^^

Hmmm. I can see there being a certain length of time that has to go by before designating something classic (at least ten years IMO), but if something is fairly heavily homaged these days or if books have gained value solely because of their cover art, then they should come into consideration, more recent examples being Detective Comics 880 and ASM 607.

Sometimes CGC changes their mind about the designation. When I bought this book off Heritage’s “make an offer” program, it arrived with a piece of plastic on Caps machine gun, obviously left over from the encapsulation process. O.o  So after awhile I sent it back for a reholder, but when I received it back, cgc had removed the classic cover designation. I asked em why, and got back the answer they do what they want. It was a useless answer, IMO

ACDF3817-E3A4-4635-B33A-33D8777FE8C4.jpeg

27F8561A-38AE-4695-9F10-061BA4F5814C.jpeg

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

On 11/5/2021 at 7:17 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Sometimes CGC changes their mind about the designation. When I bought this book off Heritage’s “make an offer” program, it arrived with a piece of plastic on Caps machine gun, obviously left over from the encapsulation process. O.o  So after awhile I sent it back for a reholder, but when I received it back, cgc had removed the classic cover designation. I asked em why, and got back the answer they do what they want. It was a useless answer, IMO

ACDF3817-E3A4-4635-B33A-33D8777FE8C4.jpeg

27F8561A-38AE-4695-9F10-061BA4F5814C.jpeg

Wow, that's definitely a classic cover in my opinion.