• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please solve this BLACK CAT MYSTERY (#50)!
2 2

20 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, davet75 said:

detached centerfold puts limits the grade to a max GD+ (2.5), the large 3" tear knocks it down a notch.

Thanks for the grade! But not sure about the part in bold. Per CGC, even midgrade books (i.e. that are overall nicer than this one) can have detached centerfolds.

10 hours ago, davet75 said:

Great book!  Classic.  no missing pieces, just lots of wear.  detached centerfold and large horizontal tear determine the grade.

detached centerfold puts limits the grade to a max GD+ (2.5), the large 3" tear knocks it down a notch.

+1

2 hours ago, Point Five said:

Thanks for the grade! But not sure about the part in bold. Per CGC, even midgrade books (i.e. that are overall nicer than this one) can have detached centerfolds.

You are correct and I should clarify.  This is another one of those topics where I guess we need to be more specific about Overstreet grading vs CGC grading.  We know that the 2 grading standards differ significantly on a few issues like staining/soiling and missing pieces.  Loose / detached centerfolds and covers (popped staples on the cover) is another one where there is some divergence.  In mid to high grades, CGC will give either a qualified grade to an otherwise nice book with a detached or loose centerfold or will give an apparently high grade book a universal label with a significant reduction.  There are examples of otherwise 9.4 books with a completely detached centerfold receiving a CGC universal grade of 6.5 and 7.0.  Overstreet obviously does not recognize qualified grades and a completely detached centerfold is only allowed in a GD (up to 2.5) grade.  Many have argued against the overly strict Overstreet criteria in an otherwise structurally excellent book and thus the likely reason for the divergent CGC criteria of using a qualified grade or giving a universal grade with a significant reduction. 

In lower grade books, like in this case, there is not a significant difference and Overstreet vs CGC criteria do not differ much as the qualified grade becomes a non-issue once you're in the sub 3.0 range. 

Overstreet 2.0

CGC 2.0 with a decent chance at 2.5

Edited by davet75

If there is such a thing as CGC standards, it is my understanding that the highest grade a book with a completely detached centerfold can get is 7.0. The highest grade with a 3" tear is 4.0 . Again, this is my understanding. Of course, these two 'rules' mean nothing when applied against an already low grade book. I'm not really good at grading low end books but a 2.0 seems reasonable.