• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My experience with Fedex shipping my books

34 posts in this topic

I am new to these forums and in that time have submitted 2 groups of books for grading. Both times I selected Fedex for my delivery but no more after this past week. I received a notice from CGC with the tracking number and it said that the books would be shipped this Monday. Monday comes and goes, no package, no note on the door saying Fedex was here. Look up tracking number on website and now it says package to be delivered Tuesday. OK fine. Tuesday comes and goes, no package, no note on door from Fedex. Same thing happens Wednesday and Thursday. Finally I called the main office and they said 3 attempts were made to deliver package and no one was here to sign for it. Well 2 out of those 3 days someone was here and a note was never left on my door saying they were here. Finally I had to drive an hour out of my way to go pick up my package (Romeoville if you know the Chicagoland area) since they said basically 3 strikes and you're out. Couple this with my experience last time. Fedex actually left a note on the door with a note that included a door tag number. I called Fedex giving them that door tag number to make arrangements for another delivery and they told me the package was already delivered. So I say to the person on the phone "you guys come here, leave a note with a number on it because I wasn't here when you arrived, and tell me to call and give that number for reference. You now tell me that package was already delivered "     They didn't even know what to say but that they would check into it and call me back. So I sit around for the next few hours worried that someone has my books and is currently selling them. Finally get call back and driver put wrong number on tag or something and package would be delivered tomorrow. It arrives and happiness happens.

I did a search on the particular location and google users voted them 2.7 out of 5 stars for service. I read some of the stories within the ratings and its a dang shame they are even allowed to handle peoples goods and get them to their location. Lots of 5 Star votes that say stuff like "Fun place to work" or "Great service" which I believe to be made by employees to raise the rating. Well they deserve a zero from what many people said. Never again. USPS despite its price increase gets my nod for the next delivery.

Rant done. Hopefully others have better success than me.

""

I would love to see a post from a FEDEX driver and their opinion of the company.  For the 3 carriers they generally seem to care the least,  will leave packages on the front step and make the least amount of effort to get a signature.  I get the company push to meet delivery times but as far as customer interaction goes they seem to hate it the most.

3 minutes ago, Reece Markidis said:

Is a signature always required? My first submission is supposed to arrive Monday, but I'll be away in the morning for a few, I hope Fedex leaves it in my package bin for me.

If you look up the Tracking number, I think it's something called More Detail, it should say whether a signature is required. 

Stuff I ship or get shipped requires signature.  Fedex is notorious for not getting signature,  they also show up to the door with the "you weren't home label already written out "before" ringing the doorbell.

I'm all about efficiency but come on.

2 hours ago, Ride the Tiger said:

I am new to these forums and in that time have submitted 2 groups of books for grading. Both times I selected Fedex for my delivery but no more after this past week. I received a notice from CGC with the tracking number and it said that the books would be shipped this Monday. Monday comes and goes, no package, no note on the door saying Fedex was here. Look up tracking number on website and now it says package to be delivered Tuesday. OK fine. Tuesday comes and goes, no package, no note on door from Fedex. Same thing happens Wednesday and Thursday. Finally I called the main office and they said 3 attempts were made to deliver package and no one was here to sign for it. Well 2 out of those 3 days someone was here and a note was never left on my door saying they were here. Finally I had to drive an hour out of my way to go pick up my package (Romeoville if you know the Chicagoland area) since they said basically 3 strikes and you're out. Couple this with my experience last time. Fedex actually left a note on the door with a note that included a door tag number. I called Fedex giving them that door tag number to make arrangements for another delivery and they told me the package was already delivered. So I say to the person on the phone "you guys come here, leave a note with a number on it because I wasn't here when you arrived, and tell me to call and give that number for reference. You now tell me that package was already delivered "     They didn't even know what to say but that they would check into it and call me back. So I sit around for the next few hours worried that someone has my books and is currently selling them. Finally get call back and driver put wrong number on tag or something and package would be delivered tomorrow. It arrives and happiness happens.

I did a search on the particular location and google users voted them 2.7 out of 5 stars for service. I read some of the stories within the ratings and its a dang shame they are even allowed to handle peoples goods and get them to their location. Lots of 5 Star votes that say stuff like "Fun place to work" or "Great service" which I believe to be made by employees to raise the rating. Well they deserve a zero from what many people said. Never again. USPS despite its price increase gets my nod for the next delivery.

Rant done. Hopefully others have better success than me.

""

Actually, I live in the Chicago area, western suburbs. In my experience, and trust me I get a lot of deliveries, Fedex has always been reliable. UPS is terrible and the USPS hit or miss. Please note I'm not questioning your experience, just saying. Now, I always use Fedex Ground, same delivery guy, same timeframe for delivery. The other options, Home Delivery, Express, whatever they are have not been as reliable as Ground.

Obviously how good a nationally provided service is can largely depend on if the branch of that service near you is ran well.  The employees that work there. 

However - IMHO - UPS has a business model that inspires more confidence than FedEx.  The person driving the brown UPS truck and delivering your packages is a UPS employee. He/she has a decent job and they are represented by a Union. The person in the FedEx truck and delivering your packages works for a 3rd party contractor.  The company he works for has a contract for a certain number of routes or an area. Probably the lowest bidder.  They are most likely making a few bucks less an hour than the UPS driver on the same route. They have no union and if a couple of years from now some other company bids lower, they will be out of a job. 

How much you pay someone, how much job security they have, is no guarantee of having an honest and dedicated employee.  But it helps. 

All packages shipped by CGC by any of the three carriers are supposed to require a signature. Sometimes the employee making the delivery screws up. But a signature is supposed to be required. 

Edited by Tony S

8 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Actually, I live in the Chicago area, western suburbs. In my experience, and trust me I get a lot of deliveries, Fedex has always been reliable. UPS is terrible and the USPS hit or miss. Please note I'm not questioning your experience, just saying. Now, I always use Fedex Ground, same delivery guy, same timeframe for delivery. The other options, Home Delivery, Express, whatever they are have not been as reliable as Ground.

I’m with @Ride the Tiger.  Earlier this year I had a Hulk 181 “delivered” to my office downtown (don’t want anything sitting on my suburban doorstep) that was “signed” for by someone that doesn’t exist.  All verified by the online tracking, which I immediately protested.  Luckily their customer service got back to me before I could call the State’s Attorney’s office the next day, and my book was delivered for real later on the day.

I’m sure you can imagine how many people I intended to sue and/or file charges on if things had turned out differently.

Matt I would have lost my mind (not that theres much left) if that happened to me. I agree that a particular branch can suffer due to mismanagement even if nationally they are rated among the best. I have had issues with USPS also to be fair but the frustration level was not as severe. I didn't even know we could use UPS as i've never seen them as an option for shipping. Maybe people have their own UPS account that they are using? I have another submission going in soon so I wanna be clear about my options!

I've used all 3 major companies (UPS, FedEx, and USPS). The only issues I've ever had were with USPS.

Side note - having heard/read dozens of reports about drivers (from both FedEx and UPS) signing for packages themselves, I cannot believe that their bosses don't instruct them to do it.

On 12/8/2018 at 6:40 PM, Tony S said:

Obviously how good a nationally provided service is can largely depend on if the branch of that service near you is ran well.  The employees that work there. 

However - IMHO - UPS has a business model that inspires more confidence than FedEx.  The person driving the brown UPS truck and delivering your packages is a UPS employee. He/she has a decent job and they are represented by a Union. The person in the FedEx truck and delivering your packages works for a 3rd party contractor.  The company he works for has a contract for a certain number of routes or an area. Probably the lowest bidder.  They are most likely making a few bucks less an hour than the UPS driver on the same route. They have no union and if a couple of years from now some other company bids lower, they will be out of a job. 

How much you pay someone, how much job security they have, is no guarantee of having an honest and dedicated employee.  But it helps. 

All packages shipped by CGC by any of the three carriers are supposed to require a signature. Sometimes the employee making the delivery screws up. But a signature is supposed to be required. 

It doesn't matter which is best service. It depends on the driver.  Both UPS and FedEx drivers are extremely nice and friendly to me.  I heard my friends' horrible stories about their drivers who handle their package.

There are two kinds of the driver: the driver who cares and other driver who doesn't care. My drivers are really caring that makes me happy. That is their job. I am terribly sorry for my friends suffer because their drivers DON'T care!  They never leave notes on the door and intend to leave their packages on the driveway not by the door. Some packages got soaked during rain. My drivers always leave me the note and know where to put it in a right place under the roof.

On 12/9/2018 at 11:49 AM, Gaard said:

I've used all 3 major companies (UPS, FedEx, and USPS). The only issues I've ever had were with USPS.

Side note - having heard/read dozens of reports about drivers (from both FedEx and UPS) signing for packages themselves, I cannot believe that their bosses don't instruct them to do it.

That is nothing new. I have seen them signing themselves at work.

I rarely receive packages via Fedex, but the percentage of missing packages is way higher from them than the USPS. Last month, I ordered a cam and lifters for my old Camaro that should have taken a couple of days to reach me. I called the supplier after a week, tracked it, and it showed being delivered 2 days after I ordered it. When I called Fedex, they said I signed for it, and that the seller would have to file the claim. It still hasn't been settled, and I doubt it ever will. All I know is that I live alone and I didn't sign for it. 95% of the time, I'm also at home, so I don't know what happened. I feel certain the driver forged my signature and probably threw my stuff in a dumpster. Anyway, it's frustrating as hell, and I needed to get it off my chest. I don't think any of the delivery services are very good at the customer level, though. All the USPS and UPS packages are all going from the seller to a distribution center to be combined, then sent to the local delivery branch, and then handled again before finally put on the truck and delivered. All those hard-working government employees are known for their work ethic and attention to detail, right?

I have detailed many times of my experiences with Fed Ex.  For the newbies. 

Batman 11 - "It's somewhere on Long Island that much we know."

Superman 3 - "You signed for it and it was delivered." "I've been in Brooklyn all day so what are you talking about."  Comiclink and my flipping out on them caused an embarrassed driver to admit that he signed for the package himself... and may have left it on the wrong steps.  

I received both books... 

HOWEVER... this is what I advise anyone that deals with Fed Ex packages that require signatures to do.

Sign up on their website and have the packages rerouted to the nearest satellite store or affiliate.  That way Fed Ex will drop it off with them.  If they drop it off somewhere else you are covered.  The satellite store, such as Walgreens, offers another layer of protection and there seems to be less issues.

I also have some issues with FedEx. If I get my usual delivery driver she is awesome. If it is someone else they never get it right. I live in a large condo complex, it has 3 separate buildings with different names: The Pointe 1, 2 and 3. I live in Pointe 2. despite the fact I give FedEx extreme details of how to deliver to my building the other delivery people put my door tag on Pointe One outer door which is a good 2 blocks from my place.

Additionally, the main FedEx depot is a good 45 minute drive from my residence so I hate going there. There is an alternate pickup location that is 5 blocks from my home, but they can only transfer the parcel there if I contact them to request the transfer. When I do this I sometimes get cooperation other times I get a customer service person who doesn't seem to want to do the work of putting in the transfer request and will tell me that the sender has instructions on the package that prevents it from being transferred. I hang up and call back hoping to get a different customer service person. I find the entire process exhausting and irritating and wish FedEx would just hold my packages at the convenient location but it just doesn't work that way.

After I wrote this I requested USPS for my next submission. No problems at all. I guess a company is only as good as its local team. Kinda like fast food in a way. Every time we go to this one Wendys we wait in line forever and the staff always seems confused. We go to the other Wendys that is a little further down the road and everything goes smooth.