• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pressing Questions
1 1

58 posts in this topic

I guess if you run into a problem when pressing and aren't considered a professional you just give up. Just like anything else. If you get turned down for a date just give up. If you make a mistake on your bank statement just give up. Trying again is never an option people.

On 12/14/2018 at 2:27 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

Yes. While there is some information in that video, there is much that is wrong, and will result in either damage to the book, or flaws coming back over time. 

That it a bit of a cheap snipe :) appreciate if you could give 1 or 2 examples of the described processes which will result in damages or reversion of flaws

Just now, Poka said:

That it a bit of a cheap snipe :) appreciate if you could give 1 or 2 examples of the described processes which will result in damages or reversion of flaws

How about the xxxxxxx  for one.  2 the xxxxxxxx, 3 the  xxxxx and time.... and more. :cry:

1 hour ago, Poka said:

Isn't he the same guy who originally said that water ( humidity ) was the enemy of paper and so he was going to do just dry heat pressing? The same guy who launched a business after nearly pressing 100 books or something like that?

On 12/29/2018 at 6:14 PM, the blob said:

If cgc started putting "amateur pressing" on labels of books that have obviously been badly pressed maybe that would change things

They will list flaws associated with a poor pressing. 

On 12/23/2018 at 11:21 PM, Kevin76 said:

Anyone can buy a press, put a book in and have it come out looking better than it did going in, but if you run into a problem, how do you fix it?  hm

It's like someone who can take out and put in car parts doesn't mean you can call yourself a mechanic. 

Yeah... I have to admit I thought of doing some 'DIY-pressing' when I first started selling of my stash... but why? At max I'd have 50 books to press. Plus I'd have to learn and practice for hours, and still come up way short especially when it comes to spine rolls and more involved work.

As long as you're patient, why not get a professional result from a professional presser? (rhetorical question... no need to respond :) )

5 hours ago, Poka said:
On 12/13/2018 at 10:27 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

Yes. While there is some information in that video, there is much that is wrong, and will result in either damage to the book, or flaws coming back over time. 

I don't think your understanding of the phrase "cheap snipe" is quite accurate. 

An example is the use of a board in the center of the book. Do not do this. Ever. 

40 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I don't think your understanding of the phrase "cheap snipe" is quite accurate. 

An example is the use of a board in the center of the book. Do not do this. Ever. 

thank you. what is the effect of using a board in the center of the book?

5 hours ago, Logan510 said:

Isn't he the same guy who originally said that water ( humidity ) was the enemy of paper and so he was going to do just dry heat pressing? The same guy who launched a business after nearly pressing 100 books or something like that?

he has created a fb group. if you go to the group - no he does not dry heat press only - he actually created a video how to create your own humidity chamber.

his results are actually impressive - of the key books he presses - he shares pictures before / after before CGC grading - as well as CGC graded pictures once received back. 

incl books i have sold him

however whether any of his presses will reverse - only time will tell.

3 minutes ago, Poka said:

he has created a fb group. if you go to the group - no he does not dry heat press only - he actually created a video how to create your own humidity chamber.

his results are actually impressive - of the key books he presses - he shares pictures before / after before CGC grading - as well as CGC graded pictures once received back. 

incl books i have sold him

however whether any of his presses will reverse - only time will tell.

I'm not going to his group, but thank you anyway.

2 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

An Example is the use of a board in the center of the book. Do not do this. Ever. 

It seems intuitively obvious to me that placing a board inside the cover and applying a press can't possibly work. It may get rid of an edge crease or whatever he was trying to fix but it would incur a new crease or bend along the edge of the board. That's just crazy. (shrug)

6 hours ago, Poka said:

thank you. what is the effect of using a board in the center of the book?

This is why pros DO NOT answer questions.  It's just more and more and more questions. 

"Explain why this is wrong" is just another way of asking "how do you do it right?" No one is going down that road. 

17 hours ago, dfx1 said:

930671372_COMICBOOKSANDWICHRECIPES.jpg.0c4e8eb180edb915ccf382e198265816.jpg  Pressing seems really fun. Who wouldn't want to try.

Oh you can't try that's only for professionals. 50 years from now there will be no pressers because everyone that wanted to learn came here and was told to leave it to the professionals. So when they have all passed on to the next life no one will know what to do. And of course none of the professionals out there bought their pressers. They all built them from scratch like Macgyver with their own hands. Don't go talkin crazy. Pressing can't be fun or educational. Its the Calgon of the comic industry.