• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would You Donate to Help a Failing Business?
2 2

52 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, RCheli said:

Just to be clear. It doesn't seem like the GoFundMe was initiated in any way by the owner. It looks like it was done by an employee/customer. 

And I just found out this morning that I need to buy a new boiler. So I'm starting a "Keep the Cheli Family Warm" donation plan.

You have some pretty good books to sell...

13 hours ago, RCheli said:

Yesterday, on my Facebook feed, a new GoFundMe appeared. It was to help save a local comic shop -- Fat Jack's Comicrypt in Philadelphia. After being in business for many, many years, rising rent and shrinking sales, they are on the edge of going under. An employee there has started this campaign in hopes of getting $50k. (So far, a day in, they're at $6k.)

https://www.gofundme.com/vjzd2z-save-fat-jack039s-comicrypt

My question for you is, would you donate to something like this if it were a local shop knowing that you weren't getting anything out of it other than the store staying open? (You're not getting back issues with the money, for example.)

The store is three blocks from where I work, and I rarely go there. The back issues are just meh, and they don't seem to be getting much new stuff in (Gold and Silver wise). It used to be the best shop in the city, but no longer, possibly because there isn't the available capital to get new stock in beyond the weekly shipment.

Thoughts?

I think it would be akin to "enabling" more bad decisions on the part of the owner, unfortunately. With so many other options in comics, I would not donate to a LCS unless it was out-of-this-world special. I'd also have to know that the owner could RUN a business, which in this case would be doubtful. 

I *have* thought about saving some of my favorite restaurants, however! There is a local brick oven pizzeria that has great food, but the owner is a horrible businessman. I root for his success, but drive past everyday expecting to see an "out of business" sign on the door. I guess I feel a little differently about one-of-a-kind products, like a specific meal or dish or service. 

Comic shop? Probably not.  

1 hour ago, RCheli said:

Just to be clear. It doesn't seem like the GoFundMe was initiated in any way by the owner. It looks like it was done by an employee/customer. 

And I just found out this morning that I need to buy a new boiler. So I'm starting a "Keep the Cheli Family Warm" donation plan.

So you just hope the money gets there? Like the couple that pocketed the money from the gofundme they set up for a homeless guy?

Anyway, I have donated books to the "help so and so boardie" a few times. Someone's kid needed eye surgery, etc. A little different. I wonder what the proceeds from the $100 book I sold in the "shiverbones broke his arm" thread wound up being used for? Didn't seem to be factored into his asking price when I bought a painting a few years later..(ok, now I am being a jerk)

44 minutes ago, the blob said:

So you just hope the money gets there? Like the couple that pocketed the money from the gofundme they set up for a homeless guy?

Anyway, I have donated books to the "help so and so boardie" a few times. Someone's kid needed eye surgery, etc. A little different. I wonder what the proceeds from the $100 book I sold in the "shiverbones broke his arm" thread wound up being used for? Didn't seem to be factored into his asking price when I bought a painting a few years later..(ok, now I am being a jerk)

no you're not.

4 hours ago, RCheli said:

My hot water heater went out last Saturday.  I put it on the charge but just before the billing cycle ended.  The bill is due Jan. 10.  I accept Paypal.

Although I generally agree with a lot of the sentiments about letting a business survive or not on its own merit, Fat Jack's has always been a favorite store of mine.  They've always been a traditional back issue haven and I've wanted to support it when I could.  I don't want a bunch of stores like Brave New Worlds where it's junky and generic.  And I totally reject that's 'the new way you have to operate'.  I was in a little store just the other day that had tons of back issues, and while it did some gaming, that certainly wasn't it's primary bread and butter.  Fat Jack's had a massive flood at their warehouse a few years back that wiped out a fair amount of the back inventory they had. In addition, they've had random incidents of vandalism and breaking the storefront glass, as well as a market that many retailers in the comic business will tell you cripples them with diamond and then customers who simply neglect to come in and pick up their new books for months on end.  

Eric, the person who posted, is the store manager.  A lot of the people who've donated are comics professionals who have signed or supported the store over the years.  I'm pretty sure Neil Gaiman has even shared and supported.  Fat Jack's has been around 40 years, and I'd love to see it continue to survive.  

With that said, I think the better tact is that it'd be great to invite people in to shop and run sales etc.  I didn't want to donate but did find plenty of their vintage material worth picking up and so I went that route.  If you're in the area, I hope you'll support the store, but I do get the sentiment, and sometimes it's not personal, it's business.

Edited by Foolkiller

27 minutes ago, Foolkiller said:

Although I generally agree with a lot of the sentiments about letting a business survive or not on its own merit, Fat Jack's has always been a favorite store of mine.  They've always been a traditional back issue haven and I've wanted to support it when I could.  I don't want a bunch of stores like Brave New Worlds where it's junky and generic.  And I totally reject that's 'the new way you have to operate'.  

I would say that the Old City Brave New World is a lot different than their suburban location, which has a lot more room and more comics. When you're in a high-traffic/high-rent area, you have to focus sales per square foot. And Fat Jack's has about 1/3 of the store set up to sell back issues. While I obviously have never seen their books, I can almost guarantee that 1/3 of their sales (or even 1/10) is back issues. It's a bad business decision to waste so much of your floor space on stuff that doesn't sell as well.

43 minutes ago, RCheli said:

I would say that the Old City Brave New World is a lot different than their suburban location, which has a lot more room and more comics. When you're in a high-traffic/high-rent area, you have to focus sales per square foot. And Fat Jack's has about 1/3 of the store set up to sell back issues. While I obviously have never seen their books, I can almost guarantee that 1/3 of their sales (or even 1/10) is back issues. It's a bad business decision to waste so much of your floor space on stuff that doesn't sell as well.

I've been to both locations and haven't been that enamored by either store.  Massive over grading and more of a generic pop culture store.  I'm sure they could offer more in the line of funko pops but that's not the source of their current issues.

14 minutes ago, Foolkiller said:

I've been to both locations and haven't been that enamored by either store.  Massive over grading and more of a generic pop culture store.  I'm sure they could offer more in the line of funko pops but that's not the source of their current issues.

They are by no means my favorite shop, so I don't want you to think I'm defending them too much. I'm just saying the days of a straight comic shop are over. Whether that means toys or Funko Pops or statues or t-shirts or gaming, you need to expand. And that expansion shouldn't be in back issues -- unless you're going all out. By that I mean, actively looking to add things to your stock (old and new, graded, $1 books, whatever), selling online, doing conventions.

Ontario St. Comics is another shop that I have no idea how it's still in business.

Fat Jack's could work and could be successful. Their location is very good. They have a loyal customer base. They are in a big city. It needs to be $50k and a new plan.

Unfortunately if the business is in a 50K deficit there is some mismanagement happening, and would fail regardless of any donations. 

My advice would be to file chapter 11 , and reorganize the business model.

5 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

Unfortunately if the business is in a 50K deficit there is some mismanagement happening, and would fail regardless of any donations. 

My advice would be to file chapter 11 , and reorganize the business model.

If Oakman needed bee traps I'd be first to donate.

1 minute ago, oakman29 said:

Bees killed= 325.00

Honey removal= 1200.00+

Materials used= 150.00

^^

Plus sell the honey at farmer's market.  and the wax for hippies make candles and *spoon*

:flipbait: