• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

As a kid at Christmas, What toy did you want so bad it kept you up at night? (and did you get it?)
4 4

192 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, FoggyNelson said:

I always wanted a BB gun pistol , air powered , I had a rifle but could only shoot one bb at a time 

My mom an dad never bought it for me🤷‍♀️😤😩😢

I always wanted an air pistol as well :foryou: what I ended up with was a Daisy BB rifle gun, that kind of cocked like the rifleman, (insert comic book meme cover here), I loved to shoot it etc but my parents kept it in their room when I was young.... as I lived in the city, it was better safe than sorry, they thought I'd get in trouble....

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I always wanted an air pistol as well :foryou: what I ended up with was a Daisy BB rifle gun, that kind of cocked like the rifleman, (insert comic book meme cover here), I loved to shoot it etc but my parents kept it in their room when I was young.... as I lived in the city, it was better safe than sorry, they thought I'd get in trouble....

We had kids in our neighborhood that would go around shooting birds so we'd go around hunting them.

31 minutes ago, FoggyNelson said:

I always wanted a BB gun pistol , air powered , I had a rifle but could only shoot one bb at a time 

My mom an dad never bought it for me🤷‍♀️😤😩😢

As Santa said to Ralphie, "You'd shoot your eye out, kid!"

8262c86b988c85a9606e1cfa4af6dbce.thumb.jpg.5a59d7b8a4098f4735fdbeb02f7a9ecf.jpg

Edited by BitterOldMan
Corrected grammar

Two toys that I never got, but dreamed of owning are

1961 Robot Commando from Ideal

6747841_1_x.jpg.9821a1c8a9e2e83d3d5b2e87a9b3b987.jpg

1965 James Bond Road Race Set from Gilbert.  This set sold for a whopping $35 in 1965,  In the rush to meet Sears demand to get the set out by Christmas, most sets were defective and returned, causing Gilbert to go bankrupt.

Gilbert_road-race1.thumb.jpg.9d5fa087f20981c3bff8a69c8d1633f6.jpg

15 minutes ago, BriD. said:

Really wanted one of these. Never found one under the tree but I can't complain. There was always other fun stuff!

image.png

I had no problem getting these they were always distributed around neighborhood on lawns-

18 hours ago, Philreal said:

Wanted 'em = yup!

Got 'em = nope! :tonofbricks:

Related image

Auroras had groups like NOW picketing their offices because of these kits. There were newspaper articles denouncing them. Very controversial, and was the first nail in Aurora's coffin.

11 minutes ago, Larryw7 said:

Auroras had groups like NOW picketing their offices because of these kits. There were newspaper articles denouncing them. Very controversial, and was the first nail in Aurora's coffin.

Funny how they didnt picket hollywood that made the movies these type kits were based on.  selective outrage.

2 minutes ago, kav said:

Funny how they didnt picket hollywood that made the movies these type kits were based on.  selective outrage.

True. Probably because they were marketed to kids. The ad didn't help.

aurora+monster.jpg

Just now, Larryw7 said:

True. Probably because they were marketed to kids. The ad didn't help.

aurora+monster.jpg

the movies were marketed to kids too tho

1 minute ago, kav said:

the movies were marketed to kids too tho

The older Universals were, but I don't know about Hammer in the seventies. Lots of blood and naked breasts. Of course the kids saw them anyway.

Edited by Larryw7
boobs

1 minute ago, Larryw7 said:

The older Universals were, but I don't know about Hammer in the seventies. Lots of blood and naked breasts. Of course the kids saw them anyway.

plus mostly the kids watched the old movies on TV and the commercials were directed at em.