• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Omnibus, Absolute, Deluxe, and HC Thread
19 19

2,481 posts in this topic

I see that Lucifer V2 came out in omnibus format.  It’s one of the few Sandman related titles that I never read. Is this series worth a read?

The OOP Hawkeye Omnibus is now selling pretty consistently for over $100 thanks to the buzz around the filming of the Disney+ show. 

This HAS to get a reprint right? 

Im thinking about selling mine and then buying again when it get's resolicited (or solicited as a new version with the addition of the 3rd volume of Hawkeye (Lemire/Perez) added in to make it bigger $125 style Omnibus). 

hawkeye.JPG.2b04afd7c5ee2ab460cbfc9c56e4a486.JPG

I just don't understand when the marketplace overvalues an Omnibus vs the oversized hardcovers it collects (or maybe it's I dont get when the market undervalues a group of OHCs vs the Omnibus of the same content) 

Like I'm watching a listing on ebay right now of 3 OHCs (no Im NOT telling you guys which one!) and it's probably going to sell for less than 1/2 of what the omnibus that collects those three OHCs is actively selling for. 

I like an omnibus as much as the next guy, but I dont get it as the be all end all for my shelf. I'd rather have 3 easier to read oversized hardcovers on my shelf for half the price...

1 hour ago, miraclemet said:

I just don't understand when the marketplace overvalues an Omnibus vs the oversized hardcovers it collects (or maybe it's I dont get when the market undervalues a group of OHCs vs the Omnibus of the same content) 

Like I'm watching a listing on ebay right now of 3 OHCs (no Im NOT telling you guys which one!) and it's probably going to sell for less than 1/2 of what the omnibus that collects those three OHCs is actively selling for. 

I like an omnibus as much as the next guy, but I dont get it as the be all end all for my shelf. I'd rather have 3 easier to read oversized hardcovers on my shelf for half the price...

Can you give an example of what you call OHC? I think people tend to find one format they like and focus on collecting all of them, hence, along with supply, the valuations.  These days, everything that becomes a movie gets reprinted over and over. Like FF omnis.  Wouldn't be surprised to see Thor 1 reprinted some day. So things are looking up, from an affordability view. Never thought I'd get Tomb of Dracula 1 or Eternals Omnis, but the demand for reprinting was there (I'm glad).

I started with Omnis, and then because of their lack of consistency and coverage, changed to Masterworks, and am kind of stuck in both. Unfortunately, Masterworks also lacks material available in Omnis (e.g. TOD).

Edited by bronze_rules

33 minutes ago, bronze_rules said:

Can you give an example of what you call OHC? I think people tend to find one format they like and focus on collecting all of them, hence, along with supply, the valuations.  These days, everything that becomes a movie gets reprinted over and over. Like FF omnis.  Wouldn't be surprised to see Thor 1 reprinted some day. So things are looking up, from an affordability view. Never thought I'd get Tomb of Dracula 1 or Eternals Omnis, but the demand for reprinting was there (I'm glad).

I started with Omnis, and then because of their lack of consistency and coverage, changed to Masterworks, and am kind of stuck in both. Unfortunately, Masterworks also lacks material available in Omnis (e.g. TOD).

OHCs are Oversized Hardcovers. They're more prevalent with modern titles/comics than with older reprint material. They are the the same dimensions of omnibuses (large than regular premier hardcovers) but usually only contain 11-13 issues (so less than an omnibus, but more than a 6 issue TPB or Marvel Premier Hardcover, which are both also smaller dimensions than Omnibuses or Hardcovers). 

For example the New Avengers Omnibus has Avengers 500-503, Avengers Finale, New Avengers 1-31, Annual 1; New Avengers Most Wanted Files; New Avengers : Custom 676: Army & Air Force; Giant -Size Spider -Woman 1; New Avengers: Illuminati (2006) 1; Civil War: The Confession 1; Civil War: The Initiative 1

Which content-wise is the same as having the Oversized Hardcovers of: Avengers Dis-Assembled, New Avengers hardcovers Vol 1-3 and Civil War:Avengers. 

In my scenario you can buy the 5 OHCs for less than the cost of the New Avengers Omnibus. (this isnt true in this case but it was the the simplest HCs aligning to an Omnibus where there are OHCs available). So why buy the Omnibus? Its bigger, bulkier, harder to read, and costs more!

Edited by miraclemet

1 hour ago, bronze_rules said:

I thought TOD was out of print?