• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whats with SS #1 White Pages?
1 1

31 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, grayzr said:

This raises the question, when CGC gets a book in for reholdering does the book get checked at all or is just the slab checked to make sure it was not tampered with?

followed by re encapsulation without any kind of look threw the book.

inside the slab, the book is in an "inner well", which is kind of sealed, so presumably when a reholder happens.... they don't "reholder all of it" .... the inner well just goes into a new slab, so the book is not touched by human hands, this is what "checked for damage" means....

This is the way I understand it :wishluck: 

1 hour ago, grayzr said:

Why would someone take a risk resubmitting a 9.8 key like SS #1 though?

Unless CGC know that back in the day the lighting was bad and when they get old gen 1 holders they re check the PQ?

Older Blue Labels are undergraded (not pressed) :baiting: 

Hoping for a CGC 9.9 ? 

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

inside the slab, the book is in an "inner well", which is kind of sealed, so presumably when a reholder happens.... they don't "reholder all of it" .... the inner well just goes into a new slab, so the book is not touched by human hands, this is what "checked for damage" means....

That would make even less sense for a page quality bump since they cant even see the inner pages.

2 minutes ago, grayzr said:
5 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

That would make even less sense for a page quality bump since they cant even see the inner pages.

Your Right! lol But that's the way that I always under stood it .... :tonofbricks:

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:
4 minutes ago, grayzr said:
6 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Your Right! lol But that's the way that I always under stood it .... :tonofbricks:

with a reholder, there is no regrading or inspecting of the book other than damage though, you have to get it regraded to affect page quality.... pretty sure though :foryou: 

1 minute ago, grayzr said:
4 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I called CGC once to ask about reholdering and they told me that the micro-chamber paper is switched out when the book gets a reholder.

So the inner well gets replaced as well.

Good to know :foryou: I just sent in a book (Batman #24 newsie edition) today for my 2nd reholder due to label error, so interesting that my book will now be handled 3 times....

I still have a modern sub with some questionable label possibilities.... I hope they get done right the first go round :wishluck:  

1 hour ago, Chaos_in_Canada said:

Older Blue Labels are undergraded (not pressed) :baiting: 

Hoping for a CGC 9.9 ? 

thats all i can think... maybe it got a press in hopes of a 9.9?

consolation prize...9.8 but white pages

I've often considered resubbing my ToS39 CR-OW to see if it gets a page bump, but I hate the idea of sending it on a road trip. If it went from it's current CR-OW to OW, or possibly OW-W, would that be worth it, value-wise? I buy about one book every five years, literally, so I don't subscribe to GPA.

Edited by mackenzie999

1 minute ago, mackenzie999 said:

I've often considered resubbing my ToS39 CR-OW to see if it gets a page bump, but I hate the idea of sending it on a road trip. If it went from CROW to OW, or possibly OW-W, would that be worth it, value-wise? I buy about one book every five years, literally, so I don't subscribe to GPA.

In todays market, from my experience, without going extreme like tan to off white or worse, page quality does not seem to be a big deal. Sure you have those who will wait and opt out of buying a book with worse PQ but today Cream to off white for hot keys seem to sell just as well for the same money as a white page copy.

Unless the book looks creamy, dark edged or tanned from the front or back cover and has less eye appeal itself then you should not have a problem selling it for similar prices as a WP or OW to W copy. Especially for a big key key like ToS 39.

I personally would not risk it.

19 hours ago, grayzr said:

In todays market, from my experience, without going extreme like tan to off white or worse, page quality does not seem to be a big deal. Sure you have those who will wait and opt out of buying a book with worse PQ but today Cream to off white for hot keys seem to sell just as well for the same money as a white page copy.

Unless the book looks creamy, dark edged or tanned from the front or back cover and has less eye appeal itself then you should not have a problem selling it for similar prices as a WP or OW to W copy. Especially for a big key key like ToS 39.

I personally would not risk it.

That's pretty much how I feel about it, thanks for validating.