• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Outbreak of Shaken Comic Syndrome
3 3

182 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

That's how I feel. If I'm one of a hundred people in a room, and 99 twenty pound notes fall from above, I'll be the one who doesn't catch one. I'm lucky like that. So if 499 out of 500 encapsulations go swimmingly, and one doesn't, guess which one mine will be....

Looks like they are getting your books ready right now...

Image result for twin paint shaker gif

Edited by bc
PLASMA GASIFICATION

13 hours ago, comicwiz said:

The only way is to have them slab your books, take a picture, then crack them out and put them in Mylar with a backing board and ship back to you.

hm

I'm liking this new business model.

And yeah, I'm probably over thinking it. But I don't sub very often, so, like @Get Marwood & I I'm figuring on being the guy who gets the cracked, jacked up slab.

Oh well, like I said, i already re-upped my membership, so I guess I'll roll the dice here shortly.

3 hours ago, F For Fake said:

hm

I'm liking this new business model.

And yeah, I'm probably over thinking it. But I don't sub very often, so, like @Get Marwood & I I'm figuring on being the guy who gets the cracked, jacked up slab.

Oh well, like I said, i already re-upped my membership, so I guess I'll roll the dice here shortly.

Think of it. No more clunky slabs to ship around, and comics getting damaged by state-of-the-art tamper evident case. You get an email with a photo attachment, which you can then share on every social platform you want, and could even boast about what your comic graded as, with the added benefit of getting a comic back in a Mylar bag with backing board, no damage, no oil-slick appearance, and that you can take out of the bag and hold, smell and flip through should you choose.

5 minutes ago, comicwiz said:

Think of it. No more clunky slabs to ship around, and comics getting damaged by state-of-the-art tamper evident case. You get an email with a photo attachment, which you can then share on every social platform you want, and could even boast about what your comic graded as, with the added benefit of getting a comic back in a Mylar bag with backing board, no damage, no oil-slick appearance, and that you can take out of the bag and hold, smell and flip through should you choose.

I'm ready to buy in on this, want to get in on the ground floor!

Just got this Fantucchio 9.6 picture frame from CL. See any problems with that 9.6 grade?:censored::frustrated: This appears to be the same type of damage as was posted a few pages back. This is new SCS from my experience. Much as Roy pointed out, SCS didn't seem to be a problem with the wedges before but both the book that was posted earlier and this book have the wedges. I'm assuming something has changed in the slabbing process to cause this. This damage is bad, not only crunched the corner but also caused multiple tears. At best this book is now a 8.0. Hopefully CGC gets a nice irate call from CL when CL gets this book back as I don't think this is an isolated incident.

@CGC Comics - you may want to investigate if this is a result of a change in your slabbing or just an "isolated incident". 

20190530_121052.jpg

20190530_121120.jpg

2 hours ago, LordRahl said:

Just got this Fantucchio 9.6 picture frame from CL. See any problems with that 9.6 grade?:censored::frustrated: This appears to be the same type of damage as was posted a few pages back. This is new SCS from my experience. Much as Roy pointed out, SCS didn't seem to be a problem with the wedges before but both the book that was posted earlier and this book have the wedges. I'm assuming something has changed in the slabbing process to cause this. This damage is bad, not only crunched the corner but also caused multiple tears. At best this book is now a 8.0. Hopefully CGC gets a nice irate call from CL when CL gets this book back as I don't think this is an isolated incident.

@CGC Comics - you may want to investigate if this is a result of a change in your slabbing or just an "isolated incident". 

20190530_121052.jpg

20190530_121120.jpg

Ouch, opening the package and seeing that must have been heartbreaking. My condolences on the loss of a once-beautiful comic. Was the comic packaged well (so it couldn't move back and forth inside the parcel) by Comiclink? And were there any signs of impact on the outside of the shipping box?

28 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

Ouch, opening the package and seeing that must have been heartbreaking. My condolences on the loss of a once-beautiful comic. Was the comic packaged well (so it couldn't move back and forth inside the parcel) by Comiclink? And were there any signs of impact on the outside of the shipping box?

Packed well by CL. 2 books in a padded envelope in a box large enough to accommodate plenty of peanuts all around the books. No damage to the box or the case itself. And the way they pack, I'm fairly certain this didn't happen in transit from CL to me. Likely it happened in shipping from CGC to CL. The bottom of the CGC boxes are just more cardboard. When dropped from a height, they don't do enough to cushion impact and in this case the book moved rapidly down in the case and smashed against the indented edges of the well causing the plastic indents to rip through the book. 

1 hour ago, LordRahl said:

Packed well by CL. 2 books in a padded envelope in a box large enough to accommodate plenty of peanuts all around the books. No damage to the box or the case itself. And the way they pack, I'm fairly certain this didn't happen in transit from CL to me. Likely it happened in shipping from CGC to CL. The bottom of the CGC boxes are just more cardboard. When dropped from a height, they don't do enough to cushion impact and in this case the book moved rapidly down in the case and smashed against the indented edges of the well causing the plastic indents to rip through the book. 

And the damage didn't show in the auction photo?

2 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

And the damage didn't show in the auction photo?

You can't see any damage from the front even now. Only the back cover. I guess that is a problem with front cover only scans at auction.

@LordRahl Sorry for the destruction of the book. I wonder what days these books showing SCS were graded if it's a date range sort of thing. Makes you wonder if CGC has someone new on the inner wells where they're leaving to much play between the sides of the book and the sides of the wells 

7 minutes ago, JWKyle said:

@LordRahl Sorry for the destruction of the book. I wonder what days these books showing SCS were graded if it's a date range sort of thing. Makes you wonder if CGC has someone new on the inner wells where they're leaving to much play between the sides of the book and the sides of the wells 

Could be. My book was just graded at the end of Feb. If this is the problem, they need to fire some people.

18 hours ago, LordRahl said:

20190530_121052.jpg

20190530_121120.jpg

Ouch!

That would require substantial force to create damage this significant to the book. Surprised the case isn't cracked as this likely was dropped from a height of more than a few inches.

I've only submitted small batches of books that have all been shipped backed to me in a flat/horizontal position. I've watched several "unboxing" videos on youtube that show people opening large lots of slabbed books from CGC that were shipped in the upright/vertical position. The upright/vertical position would focus any force of the shipping movement solely onto the bottom edge of the book/slab. If the slabs are tightly secured, then the force is transferred to the internal book which would result in damage like the supplied picture.

If the books are shipped in a flat/horizontal position, any downward force encountered during shipping would be spread over the entire frame of the case, which would reduce the amount of force transferred to the internal book (and minimize any potential damage).

Maybe this is a Captain Obvious post (still on my first cup of tea), but is the upright/vertical shipping method more likely to result in SCS than the flat/horizontal method?

Sorry to see a book damaged.

-bc

3 hours ago, bc said:

Ouch!

That would require substantial force to create damage this significant to the book. Surprised the case isn't cracked as this likely was dropped from a height of more than a few inches.

I've only submitted small batches of books that have all been shipped backed to me in a flat/horizontal position. I've watched several "unboxing" videos on youtube that show people opening large lots of slabbed books from CGC that were shipped in the upright/vertical position. The upright/vertical position would focus any force of the shipping movement solely onto the bottom edge of the book/slab. If the slabs are tightly secured, then the force is transferred to the internal book which would result in damage like the supplied picture.

If the books are shipped in a flat/horizontal position, any downward force encountered during shipping would be spread over the entire frame of the case, which would reduce the amount of force transferred to the internal book (and minimize any potential damage).

Maybe this is a Captain Obvious post (still on my first cup of tea), but is the upright/vertical shipping method more likely to result in SCS than the flat/horizontal method?

-bc

100% spot on. And yes I think the way they pack is contributing to the problem. The "cushioning" in those large boxes is just more cardboard, which isn't providing much in the way of cushioning as bubblewrap and/or peanuts do. Also, as you point out the position of the slabs upright in the box forcing impact down on the book.

9 hours ago, bc said:

Ouch!

-bc

Do you think that the box remains in the same position in transit? It gets bounced around all over the place, and the "top" only has a 16% of actually being on top at any given moment. 

I can’t believe the new wave SCS damage being presented in this thread.  

When I coined the term, I had no idea the situation would eventually worsen......rather than improve. :tonofbricks:

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

13 hours ago, Kon_Jelly said:

Do you think that the box remains in the same position in transit? It gets bounced around all over the place, and the "top" only has a 16% of actually being on top at any given moment. 

I can't speak for the carriers warehouses, but I do have some experience dealing with carriers/drivers. I deal with shipping/receiving all 3 major carriers (USPS /UPS / FedEx) on a daily basis at my work. When I'm giving them dozens of boxes to deliver, they'll put them on the truck with the label up. I've never asked them why...I'll make a point to ask Monday.  When they're delivering, and are having trouble finding a box (they know how many boxes are to be delivered at any location), they'll wander about the truck, looking at all the labels, which are invariably facing up. Based on this, I'm going to assume that whichever side of the box the shipping label was applied to is facing up the vast majority of the time.

Another thing to consider concerning this is that the scanners have read the label.

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 12:29 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

That's how I feel. If I'm one of a hundred people in a room, and 99 twenty pound notes fall from above, I'll be the one who doesn't catch one. I'm lucky like that. So if 499 out of 500 encapsulations go swimmingly, and one doesn't, guess which one mine will be....

Never submit! :sumo: